UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:27:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71088 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: September 25, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »

BoJo asks opposition parties to table a motion of no-confidence. Opposition says "lol no".
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #676 on: September 25, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »

BoJo asks opposition parties to table a motion of no-confidence. Opposition says "lol no".

*When you're so weak & incompetent that you've left yourself in a position where you can't even collapse your own government.*
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #677 on: September 25, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »

"wHY woN't JeReMy COrbyN VotE agaINST Me?!"
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #678 on: September 25, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »

BoJo could try to pull Balfour by going to the palace, tendering his resignation and "advising" the Queen to invite the Leader of the Opposition, since his party is unable to fork a working government. But of course that would prevent him from pulling the "they forced us out!" card.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »

You know, I'm beginning to get the impression this might not be a very good government
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #680 on: September 25, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »

You know, I'm beginning to get the impression this might not be a very good government

Not a very strong & stable government indeed. Still, could be worse... we could always have chaos with Ed Miliband, after all.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #681 on: September 25, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »

Johnson was warned repeatedly about his use of language ("surrender", "betrayal", "traitors") given the present context - several MP's have raised the issue of how many death threats they've recieved -, and when an MP asked him to be careful with dangerous terms in light of what happened to Jo Cox.

Johnson's response? "I never heard such humbug in all my life.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #682 on: September 25, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »

Johnson was warned repeatedly about his use of language ("surrender", "betrayal", "traitors") given the present context - several MP's have raised the issue of how many death threats they've recieved -, and when an MP asked him to be careful with dangerous terms in light of what happened to Jo Cox.

Johnson's response? "I never heard such humbug in all my life.

That's because Boris Johnson doesn't care.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »

A few less whisky-breakfasts would do our politics the world of good right now, I think.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2019, 04:49:04 PM »

Well, that was....something.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #685 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

Wait doesnt Boris want the opposition to bring forward a no-confidence motion, if so why would he wanted it tabled
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »

I was, but then I saw Johnson's speech at the UN and I quite like this government.
Angel of Death
« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »

Wait doesnt Boris want the opposition to bring forward a no-confidence motion, if so why would he wanted it tabled

Quote from: the Wikipedia article on "Table (parliamentary procedure)"
In parliamentary procedure, the verb to table has the opposite meaning in different countries:

• In the United States, to "table" usually means to postpone or suspend consideration of a pending motion.
  • In the rest of the English-speaking world, to "table" means to begin consideration (or reconsideration) of a proposal.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #688 on: September 25, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »

Not a very strong & stable government indeed. Still, could be worse... we could always have chaos with Ed Miliband, after all.

A reminder that in an alternate universe, his first term as PM still has half a year to run.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #689 on: September 25, 2019, 08:02:43 PM »

So why does the opposition not want an election? They are that confident they would lose?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #690 on: September 25, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

So why does the opposition not want an election? They are that confident they would lose?

Even if they aren't, would you really wanna risk 5 years of Boris Johnson?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #691 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:05 AM »

Because, assuming they win an outright majority, which is unlikely, it would leave them very little time to avoid no deal or a sh**t deal. If they get elected just before the summit, they'll have a week to settle on a policy.

Johnson wanted election day to be the Monday after Brexit IIRC. Which is also a ballsy move but his whole leadership campaign is about October 31st and getting Brexit over with. And judging by the polls most people are fed up too, so the opposition, particularly Labour's, contorted idea of yet another extension is not appealing.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #692 on: September 26, 2019, 02:36:54 AM »

I think it's more that an election pre-31 October is a genuine tossup, whereas after 31 October it will be far more difficult for the Tories to win.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #693 on: September 26, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »

Because a dissolution now would remove parliamentary scrutiny between now and 31 October, potentially (if Johnson can find a loophole in the Benn act, or if he tries to get away with ignoring it) allowing a no deal Brexit just before the election.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #694 on: September 26, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »

Because, assuming they win an outright majority, which is unlikely, it would leave them very little time to avoid no deal or a sh**t deal. If they get elected just before the summit, they'll have a week to settle on a policy.

Johnson wanted election day to be the Monday after Brexit IIRC. Which is also a ballsy move but his whole leadership campaign is about October 31st and getting Brexit over with. And judging by the polls most people are fed up too, so the opposition, particularly Labour's, contorted idea of yet another extension is not appealing.

This is over-simplifying it tbh, there is still quite a lot of support out there for the various options of "compromise" - extend/referendum/deal. Though both the Tories and LibDems dream of a GE with voters utterly polarised between no deal and revoke, we are still (thankfully) some way from that.

(and that doesn't contradict lots of people being fed up with Brexit and wanting it "over with" - the reality of course is that a no deal crashout is almost the worst possible way of getting that)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #695 on: September 26, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »

A few less whisky-breakfasts would do our politics the world of good right now, I think.

An outright ban of alcohol in the Commons even more.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #696 on: September 26, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »

An outright ban of alcohol in the Commons even more.

Lazare Carnot and Saint-Just had an ongoing dispute regarding alcohol in the National Convention. Saint-Just, who was against it, lost the argument, as well as his head.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #697 on: September 27, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »

Boris Johnson referred to police watchdog over Jennifer Arcuri links
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #698 on: September 28, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #699 on: September 29, 2019, 04:02:18 AM »

How close are we to a full-blown constituttional crisis?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies