UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:06:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71299 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »

From the Grauniad livestream: "'Boris knows how to win' - Trump backs Johnson despite PM's latest setback".

I wonder when Boris will get tired of winning.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2019, 12:17:20 PM »

Swinson was okay.

Ian Blackford, who I despise for non-Brexit reasons, is an annoyingly good speaker.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »

I must say it's quote impressive for someone to the the Prime Minister for little over the month and lose first major vote and your majority.
if he a elections he likely to gain it back pretty soon he not may who I now believe might have deliberately screw up brexit

Sounds a bit like a gambling addict... "but with the next round I'm gonna win it ALL back".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »

How is this measure even enforceable , like No Deal Brexit isn’t something that can’t be stopped unless the PM asks for an extension. Trade is an authority which lies with the leader of a nation so really the only way this can be enforceable is through a no confidence motion which in turn might make no Deal Brexit even more likely .

If Labour and parliament in general worked with May the UK wouldn’t be in this mess .
Omega21

« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »

So what are the powers of the House of Lords, can they delay the bill until the proroguing of parliament or something similar?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »

So what are the powers of the House of Lords, can they delay the bill until the proroguing of parliament or something similar?

In theory yes, but my understanding is that a motion in the Lords has been tabled to limit debate to the next two days or so. The Lords also has a much, much smaller Tory plurality than the Commons, even after Johnson's purge of the rebels last night; the government can still rely on about 45% of the Commons but barely a third of the Lords (or, at least, the Lords' total membership, not all of which regularly participates in its business).
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

Seeing as it has been hinted at by certain members of the government - assuming Johnson is mandated to ask the EU for an article 50 extension, but just doesn't actually do it, what happens then? That would technically be breaking the law right? Would he get prosecuted for it?

Also, I want some of whatever Old School Republican is smoking.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

The issue with the Lords is that the Brexiteer Peers are tabling almost 100 amendments to ensure they slow debate down and the bill does not recieve royal assent before prorogation. Hard to tell whether the Lords can manage to overcome that in time.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #358 on: September 04, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

MP's vote against holding a General Election (most abstained, but a two thirds majority is required).

Another defeat for Boris, though Corbyn has promised to support an election once (if) the bill recieves Royal Assent. Some Labour MP may oppose him on that, but there should be a General Election sooner rather than later.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #359 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »

Good on Labour not taking Boris' bait with a general election.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #360 on: September 04, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »

Yeah, I hope the myth of BoJo and Cummings as strategic masterminds is dead and buried now. The expulsion of the rebels is especially baffling, since as long as they had something to lose as Tory MPs they might have been reasoned with (at least to try to prevent a no-confidence vote) but now they're entirely free to topple BoJo and install PM Ken Clarke or whomever. BoJo has no way of actually getting the election he desperately wants, and now he has no way to force through a no-deal Brexit. He really shot himself in the foot. That seems to be a pattern with #populist Purple heart leaders this Summer, after Salvini's equally hilarious own-goal.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

Seeing as it has been hinted at by certain members of the government - assuming Johnson is mandated to ask the EU for an article 50 extension, but just doesn't actually do it, what happens then? That would technically be breaking the law right? Would he get prosecuted for it?

He can tie the issue up in the courts which due to time frame could force no deal Brexit . So only option parliament has is to force new election
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #362 on: September 04, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »

Yeah, I hope the myth of BoJo and Cummings as strategic masterminds is dead and buried now. The expulsion of the rebels is especially baffling, since as long as they had something to lose as Tory MPs they might have been reasoned with (at least to try to prevent a no-confidence vote) but now they're entirely free to topple BoJo and install PM Ken Clarke or whomever. BoJo has no way of actually getting the election he desperately wants, and now he has no way to force through a no-deal Brexit. He really shot himself in the foot. That seems to be a pattern with #populist Purple heart leaders this Summer, after Salvini's equally hilarious own-goal.
The odds of Labour backing a Clarke government are roughly zero
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #363 on: September 04, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

He can tie the issue up in the courts which due to time frame could force no deal Brexit . So only option parliament has is to force new election

I would advise that you read up on Parliamentary Sovereignty. This is not the United States and the courts are explicitly not equal to Parliament. The courts cannot challenge a lawful act of Parliament.
Omega21

« Reply #364 on: September 04, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »

Guess we will get another season of Dumpster fire politics, hurray!

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #365 on: September 04, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »

We call them skips in the UK. Suggest this thread is renamed to "Blackadder's Skip Fire".
Omega21

« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »

We call them skips in the UK. Suggest this thread is renamed to "Blackadder's Skip Fire".

Thanks, now I know some proper British slang!

At least the level of speaking and vocabulary in the UK chambers is fitting for politicians, so at least when bad politicians talk, they don't talk like 9-year-olds, like I often hear from US politicians.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #367 on: September 04, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »

I thought Corbyn had already tentatively agreed to such an arrangement if it becomes necessary to stop no deal?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #368 on: September 04, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »

I unironically wish Michael Heseltine was still an MP, thus available to lead the government of national unity.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: September 04, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »

Can you translate "great big girl's blouse" into American English?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #370 on: September 04, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »

House of Lords currently voting down wrecking amendments from Brexiteer aristos. Thirteen or so have been defeated already. God only knows how many to go.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #371 on: September 04, 2019, 08:13:37 PM »

Lib Dem peer (of the ~entrepreneur and philanthropist~ subspecies) Paul Strasburger tweets that the Government in the Lords has caved.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »

I thought Corbyn had already tentatively agreed to such an arrangement if it becomes necessary to stop no deal?

Obviously it would be difficult for either Labour or LibDem leader to head such a government. It's kind of like in 1930 with MacDonald with his small following of "National Labour" heading a national government dominated by the Tories.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #373 on: September 04, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »

Prime Minister Ken Clarke is never going to happen, but by the gods he was brilliant today against Boris on the election debate. The man will leave the Commons with a roar.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #374 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:24 PM »

What a disgrace.  A minority is holding hostage & completely paralyzing the government.  The UK needs serious constitutional reform if and when this ever ends.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies