UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:55:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71185 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »

Democracy: just a minor inconvenience to be brushed away in modern Britain
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2019, 04:05:18 AM »

Lol the government is trying to force the rebels to pass a vote of no confidence after they backed off over August.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2019, 04:27:29 AM »

Can a person please have a day out without a constitutional crisis starting?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2019, 04:30:38 AM »

Could he not have done this a week ago and crashed the exchange rate while I was actually in Britain?

It would have saved me quite a bit of money
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2019, 04:42:06 AM »

By the remain side which has refused to respect the outcome of the referendum for more than three years now, you mean? You're right.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2019, 04:44:22 AM »

Lewis Goodalll's opinion piece on Sky News is well worth reading; both sides believe the other is engaging in a coup. That's not exactly good for parliamentary democracy.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:20 AM »

By the remain side which has refused to respect the outcome of the referendum for more than three years now, you mean? You're right.

How have they done that exactly?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2019, 07:20:13 AM »

Democracy continues to erode in Britain and elsewhere. Extremely dangerous times we are living in.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2019, 07:59:02 AM by Karpatsky »

This is a truly embarrassing, bad faith deflection. I've known you to be better than this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

Note that what is being done here is an abuse of power to mess with the timetable rather than doing so to put the whole place in lockdown for the weeks before the 31st October deadline, which is what the fruitloops were starting to agitate for. In other words, classic Oxford Union bullsh!t.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

The EU should refuse to negotiate until Parliament is reopened.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »

lol
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »

I did time my holiday well, but the effect on the exchange rate has not been too great sadly. I have been quite surprised however, how little most people here in the UK seem to care. One would really not expect that the country is in the midst of an constitutional crisis and on the brink of a economic one as well. I have noticed nothing of it here really, except from the newspapers and the odd Car Bumper sticker. I tried to discuss it at breakfast, but unlike the European tourists, the Brits seemed to be quite uninterested in the whole saga. Quite surreal actually.

It's mainly because of how bloody sick of it we all are. And when I say all, I mean ALL
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2019, 09:52:10 AM »

I did time my holiday well, but the effect on the exchange rate has not been too great sadly. I have been quite surprised however, how little most people here in the UK seem to care. One would really not expect that the country is in the midst of an constitutional crisis and on the brink of a economic one as well. I have noticed nothing of it here really, except from the newspapers and the odd Car Bumper sticker. I tried to discuss it at breakfast, but unlike the European tourists, the Brits seemed to be quite uninterested in the whole saga. Quite surreal actually.

It's mainly because of how bloody sick of it we all are. And when I say all, I mean ALL

Yes. Additionally, it is an unpleasant topic and there are Ranters about.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »

The EU should refuse to negotiate until Parliament is reopened.

Then the UK will just pull out.

The will of the people was expressed in the referendum, like it or not. 

(I am sure that Trump is asking if he can prorogue Congress.)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »

But remember, democracy dies in darkness.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/queen-approves-order-to-prorogue-parliament-for-one-month-until-october-14-a4223326.html
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:54 AM »

What an irresponsible, reckless b*stard. Literally trying to get voted out of office by Parliament so he can have an extra rhetorical argument in a General Election, all while the clock is still ticking, and coincidentally just after the Opposition seemed to be preparing to focus on binding legislation as opposed to a VONC.

Also, Ruth Davidson is resigning as Scottish Conservative leader.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

No deal is pretty much locked in at this point, even if there is a successful no confidence motion immediately upon parliament coming back into session a new election would take place after 10/31 and all plans of a caretaker government have fallen through
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

No deal is pretty much locked in at this point, even if there is a successful no confidence motion immediately upon parliament coming back into session a new election would take place after 10/31 and all plans of a caretaker government have fallen through

Parliament can vote to force the government to go for an extension I think. Its a constitutional deadlock if Johnson refuses, but I think there's still time.

But yeah no chance of a GE now which is a shame as I think its the only way out of this. May's crazy GE was not explicitly about Brexit, this one would be.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »

Parliament can vote to force the government to go for an extension I think. Its a constitutional deadlock if Johnson refuses, but I think there's still time.

But yeah no chance of a GE now which is a shame as I think its the only way out of this. May's crazy GE was not explicitly about Brexit, this one would be.
The problem is that an election explicitly about Brexit would be one that Johnson would win by taking much of the Brexit party support as polling has suggested. With a majority (and much of the Tory mutineers in the current Caucus being forced to stand down or being de-selected) Johnson would have a much easier time dealing with the fallout of a no-deal Brexit
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »

Perhaps you should stop pretending to be an expert about things that you know nothing and just be quiet.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

The problem is that an election explicitly about Brexit would be one that Johnson would win by taking much of the Brexit party support as polling has suggested. With a majority (and much of the Tory mutineers in the current Caucus being forced to stand down or being de-selected) Johnson would have a much easier time dealing with the fallout of a no-deal Brexit

That does make sense.  If Boris is brought down on a vote of no confidence but retains leadership, it goes to the country.  The country puts the now Brexit Tories back it, you probably get a no deal Brexit. 

Only the question on if the UK really wants Bexit will remain; I would expect a Brexit majority to get elected.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »

No Deal Brexit has the support of around 30% of the electorate. If that.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »

No Deal Brexit has the support of around 30% of the electorate. If that.

To be fair 30% of the vote is enough to win a General election if the remaining 70% is split badly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies