I went to a Gillibrand event tonight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:23:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  I went to a Gillibrand event tonight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I went to a Gillibrand event tonight  (Read 3090 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:10 PM »

Some thoughts:

- Say what you will about Gillibrand, one thing she is not is low energy. She could really carry the room, and pretty much never paused or said "um" when speaking.

- She dropped the F bomb twice, which surprised me. But even as a cursing prude, I thought both were pretty acceptable in context.

- She really hit it out of the park on questions about race and discrimination. I think she has a lot of room to grow among the - dare I say - "NYC Millennial Minority" demographic.

- The crowd was definitely overwhelmingly female, LGBT, and young, but not overwhelmingly white. It may have been disproportionately white, given the demographics of DC democrats, but there was definitely plenty diversity. The average age was probably somewhere around 25.

- The person she was on stage at the debate is pretty much exactly who she is in person, whatever you think of that.

- She only played the "when I am president" line once, and made a very clear point about voting for whoever the Democrats nominate.

- The place where the event was held was probably the single most woke Millennial type place I have ever been in my life. If someone walked in with a MAGA hat, I imagine some sort of matter-anti-matter reaction would happen and the whole city would be destroyed. It had really comfy chairs, though.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »

Some thoughts:

- Say what you will about Gillibrand, one thing she is not is low energy. She could really carry the room, and pretty much never paused or said "um" when speaking.

- She dropped the F bomb twice, which surprised me. But even as a cursing prude, I thought both were pretty acceptable in context.

- She really hit it out of the park on questions about race and discrimination. I think she has a lot of room to grow among the - dare I say - "NYC Millennial Minority" demographic.

- The crowd was definitely overwhelmingly female, LGBT, and young, but not overwhelmingly white. It may have been disproportionately white, given the demographics of DC democrats, but there was definitely plenty diversity. The average age was probably somewhere around 25.

- The person she was on stage at the debate is pretty much exactly who she is in person, whatever you think of that.

- She only played the "when I am president" line once, and made a very clear point about voting for whoever the Democrats nominate.

- The place where the event was held was probably the single most woke Millennial type place I have ever been in my life. If someone walked in with a MAGA hat, I imagine some sort of matter-anti-matter reaction would happen and the whole city would be destroyed. It had really comfy chairs, though.

Only if something gets Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, and arguably Warren+Bernie to get taken out of the race.

Anyway my esteemed Senator Gillibrand represents everything I dislike about the current day Democratic Party and her particular segment of the Left. I have more respect for Warren, Bernie, Biden, even Buttigieg (who is Gillibrand except with an interesting speaking style and background and raw intellectual power).
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »

I used to volunteer for and support her campaign a lot. She's fallen off a bit, and I honestly don't see her surviving past September, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the event.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »

She sees the writing on the wall.
Barack Oganja

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »

I would have gone, what ever happened to that candidate tracker thing?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »

What was the place? I must visit this bastion of wokeness on my next trip to DC.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »

As I've said since the first debate, I think she'd be a good VP nominee.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »

What was the place? I must visit this bastion of wokeness on my next trip to DC.

The Outrage
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »

I would have gone, what ever happened to that candidate tracker thing?

There's a WordPress blog about it that gets shared on here a lot, but I don't know of a specific tracker, I'm interested if you come across one though.

Most of the Democrats run through mobilize.us, so I frequently check out their pages and see if they ever come to my area. And then I get disappointed and remember that I live in Western NY, not the political capitals of Iowa/NH/SC/NV, so nobody will be coming here until next year.

I've heard Elizabeth Warren may visit my city, though, for some reason.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »

Some thoughts:

"Race" and "Discrimination" are manufactured issues that mean nothing to people trying to put food on their f**king table. Unsurprisingly, her base consists entirely of people (wealthy, entitled millenials) who have no problem doing that.

Thanks for this post, OP. I hate her even more now.
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

Glad to hear you enjoyed her. She’s definitely not low energy but she’s gotten lost in the mix which is a shame.
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »

Some thoughts:

"Race" and "Discrimination" are manufactured issues that mean nothing to people trying to put food on their f**king table. Unsurprisingly, her base consists entirely of people (wealthy, entitled millenials) who have no problem doing that.

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:18 PM »

Some thoughts:

You know, in that answer, she specifically mentioned how discourse surrounding discrimination alienates impoverished and disadvangtaged whites, and why and how we can address that. It is actually possible to care about more than one issue at a time.
JG

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:23:54 PM »

Some thoughts:

Gillibrand is really underrated. It's pretty disappointing how she didn't catch on more.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:34 PM »

Some thoughts:

Gillibrand is really underrated. It's pretty disappointing how she didn't catch on more.
Well it's her fault for not finding a niche and marketing herself well, but as I said above, she shows VP potential.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »

Some thoughts:

You know, in that answer, she specifically mentioned how discourse surrounding discrimination alienates impoverished and disadvangtaged whites, and why and how we can address that. It is actually possible to care about more than one issue at a time.

There is no "discrimination" in this country. As I said, it's a manufactured issue, used mainly to pander to politically ignorant minorities.

You live in a bubble if you think this
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »

Some thoughts:

There is no "discrimination" in this country. As I said, it's a manufactured issue, used mainly to pander to politically ignorant minorities.

I didn't know Nick Fuentes used Atlas.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 10:46:13 PM »

Some thoughts:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Discrimination is a human thing, worldwide. This is quite the ignorant statement.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »

Some thoughts:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Discrimination is a human thing, worldwide. This is quite the ignorant statement.

Well, Grassr00ts is quite the ignorant poster.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »

Some thoughts:

You live in a bubble if you think this

Give me an example of discrimination in America. You can’t.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/01/23/gay-marriage-discrimination-fair-housing-column/2644060002/
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »

Some thoughts:

I'm pretty sure that racism matters to black working class people trying to feed their kids. Or do you not believe that black people work?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 12:02:50 AM »

Huh?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »

Believing that is as bad as being a completely deranged SJW.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 12:18:51 AM »

Absolutely vile post
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 12:21:34 AM »

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Comedy+Clubs&find_loc=Illinois&ns=1

Go tell your jokes to people that want to hear them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies