Medicare to pay for some acupuncture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Medicare to pay for some acupuncture
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Medicare to pay for some acupuncture  (Read 540 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »

and are considering paying for it for all old people

groan

Any fair review of the evidence for acupuncture answers the question the government is about to spend taxpayer money asking all over again: We already know that acupuncture is nothing more than an elaborate placebo and that it does not work, for anything. Thus, this effort is not justifiable based on any real need to do more research.  Here’s what SBM’s Steve Novella, MD, had to say in a Washington Post story on the subject:

“The whole thing is a big scam,” said Steven Novella, an assistant professor of neurology at the Yale School of Medicine and editor of the “Science-Based Medicine” website. “The only honest interpretation of the data is that acupuncture is a theatrical placebo.”    . . .

Novella said that the efficacy attributed to acupuncture in the 2018 review [referred to in the story] could easily be explained by various research biases and that no drug would be allowed on the market based on that level of proof.

“We never get that threshold of evidence that you need in medicine, where you get that persistent effect, and it’s replicable” across numerous studies, he said.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »

Great news. It's about time our people started getting some respect.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »

I don't follow HHS, but if what is happening there is anything like what is happening in State, this is likely the result of a purge of competent people from the bureaucracy by political appointees determined on principle to sabotage government. This effect, more than anything that happens at the top of government, is the greatest threat posed by this administration to good governance in America.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »

Nice. I don’t know a lot about acupuncture specifically, but I’m inclined to think it’s reputable, as the ancients didn’t have the luxury of a professional scientific class, and thus couldn’t afford to believe in things that didn’t actually work.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »

and are considering paying for it for all old people

groan

Any fair review of the evidence for acupuncture answers the question the government is about to spend taxpayer money asking all over again: We already know that acupuncture is nothing more than an elaborate placebo and that it does not work, for anything. Thus, this effort is not justifiable based on any real need to do more research.  Here’s what SBM’s Steve Novella, MD, had to say in a Washington Post story on the subject:

“The whole thing is a big scam,” said Steven Novella, an assistant professor of neurology at the Yale School of Medicine and editor of the “Science-Based Medicine” website. “The only honest interpretation of the data is that acupuncture is a theatrical placebo.”    . . .

Novella said that the efficacy attributed to acupuncture in the 2018 review [referred to in the story] could easily be explained by various research biases and that no drug would be allowed on the market based on that level of proof.

“We never get that threshold of evidence that you need in medicine, where you get that persistent effect, and it’s replicable” across numerous studies, he said.

Who says that anyone or no one needs it? This could be actually be something that could be a good idea, a stupid idea meant to satisfy corruption,  or an evil idea meant to inflate the cost of Medicare and pit beneficiaries against the welfare of the rest of the population. It’s like Part D but dumber.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »

Nice. I don’t know a lot about acupuncture specifically, but I’m inclined to think it’s reputable, as the ancients didn’t have the luxury of a professional scientific class, and thus couldn’t afford to believe in things that didn’t actually work.

That’s an amazing new elevator pitch against the man who isn’t the man.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:34:13 AM »

Good. My dad believes it might help him, and at this point, that'd be better than him getting hooked on morphine again, which would still be at taxpayer expense.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »

I’m okay with this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »

are you really arguing that acupuncture probably works because there wasn't science 2000 years ago?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »

are you really arguing that acupuncture probably works because there wasn't science 2000 years ago?

Sure. Why would people do the same thing for 2000 years unless it worked?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »

I don't know, but it doesn't work as science has shown.  Like most everything else in "eastern medicine", it's old and doesn't work.  If it worked, the rest of us would have been using it for hundreds of years like we have with other, good ideas, that came out of the same part of the world (printing press and gunpowder to name two obvious ones).

I didn't know we were so anti-science here.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »

Roll Eyes

Results

The benefits of acupuncture are sometimes difficult to measure, but many people find it helpful as a means to control a variety of painful conditions.

Several studies, however, indicate that some types of simulated acupuncture appear to work just as well as real acupuncture. There's also evidence that acupuncture works best in people who expect it to work.

Acupuncture has few side effects, so it may be worth a try if you're having trouble controlling pain with more-conventional methods.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acupuncture/about/pac-20392763

As far as something that instigates positive results, whether they be placebo or not, I see no reason not to use it. Especially in the elderly, who often have struggled to find relief via other outlets.

This is much better than a lot of elective surgeries that are recommended by various physicians. I'm sorry you personally don't like it, but if it helps people feel better, that usually results in a net savings of money for the tax-payer.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »

I don't know, but it doesn't work as science has shown.  Like most everything else in "eastern medicine", it's old and doesn't work.  If it worked, the rest of us would have been using it for hundreds of years like we have with other, good ideas, that came out of the same part of the world (printing press and gunpowder to name two obvious ones).

I didn't know we were so anti-science here.

The point is, you don't know if acupuncture works: you don't have any personal experience with it. But Science says it doesn't work, so even when other people do have positive personal experiences with the practice, you're obligated to dismiss their experience out of hand. Our predecessors didn't have the luxury of such a bias. They had to do what worked.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »

Some people have "positive personal experiences" with lots of stupid sh**t that doesn't work.  Do you think that argument works for astrology?  Or copper bracelets?  Or essential oils?  Or ear candaling?  There is a never ending list of things people have a "positive personal experience" with that are total bunk.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »

I mean, I'd rather pay for old people to get acupuncture than to pay rich people's taxes for them.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »

Some people have "positive personal experiences" with lots of stupid sh**t that doesn't work.  Do you think that argument works for astrology?  Or copper bracelets?  Or essential oils?  Or ear candaling?  There is a never ending list of things people have a "positive personal experience" with that are total bunk.

And if those things weren't bunk, you wouldn't admit it Smiley
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

There's a circumcision or religion quip to be had here.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »

I thought that was the joke.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »

I thought that was the joke.
I read the post as being serious. Also, blue avatar. If not, mea culpa.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »

If those things get enough of a reaction out of you to cause you to make a joke, then they're still doing their job.
Vittorio
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2019, 09:50:56 AM by Vittorio »

Two different strains of right-wing imbecility in this thread: the Penn & Teller-style libertarian positivist and the social collectivist woomeister. Far from being opposed however, the former enables and empowers the latter (as when the "libertarian moment" of 2010-11 bled over into Trumpism).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »

Two different strains of right-wing imbecility in this thread: the Penn & Teller-style libertarian positivist and the social collectivist woomeister. Far from being opposed however, the former enables and empowers the latter (as when the "libertarian moment" of 2010-11 bled over into Trumpism).

Hi, Einzige.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »

If those things get enough of a reaction out of you to cause you to make a joke, then they're still doing their job.
People worship deities and remove foreskin to own the libs?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »

People worship deities and remove foreskin to own the libs?

The outward signs of faith are outward for a reason.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 06:46:19 PM »

Of all the "alternative medicine" ideas, acupuncture isn't the worst. It can help people. I don't mind this.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies