500.000 sign up to storm Area 51 on September 20
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:08:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  500.000 sign up to storm Area 51 on September 20
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 500.000 sign up to storm Area 51 on September 20  (Read 1775 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:39 AM »

"They can't stop all of us."

www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/07/13/half-million-people-signed-up-storm-area-what-happens-if-they-actually-show-up

The US military has said they will use lethal force on anyone trying to storm the secret military base.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:31:36 AM »

People do realize that the event page is a joke made by a meme page... right?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:09:27 AM »

The best way to learn "the truth" about Area 51 would probably be to somehow get Trump provoked about it so he spills a bunch of information in an early morning tweet or impromptu public comments.

"...and then they said, 'Oh but you have to go to Area 51.' So we went to Area 51. Big place, big, big buildings, lots of labs and experiments. I love the science, you know, because my uncle was an MIT grad, very brilliant scientist. And you know what they say, they say, 'Oh that's where they keep the aliens!' well believe me, folks, it's not that interesting. I said, 'Show 'em to me,' and they've got like two - I'm not even sure if they're aliens or if they're just some kind of reptile nobody's ever seen before. But they're small, and they have this greenish skin that kind of oozes. Not a great look. I'm told they've been there for thirty, forty years. No one knows how long they can live for. They might outlive all of us, who knows!"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:15:10 AM »

The best way to learn "the truth" about Area 51 would probably be to somehow get Trump provoked about it so he spills a bunch of information in an early morning tweet or impromptu public comments.

Just start a rumor that the aliens in Area 51 said that Trump is the worst leader in the universe. We should quickly get confirmation that there was no aliens in Area 51.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »

Pfft, 500 people ain’t sh**t
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:44:38 AM »

"...and then they said, 'Oh but you have to go to Area 51.' So we went to Area 51. Big place, big, big buildings, lots of labs and experiments. I love the science, you know, because my uncle was an MIT grad, very brilliant scientist. And you know what they say, they say, 'Oh that's where they keep the aliens!' well believe me, folks, it's not that interesting. I said, 'Show 'em to me,' and they've got like two - I'm not even sure if they're aliens or if they're just some kind of reptile nobody's ever seen before. But they're small, and they have this greenish skin that kind of oozes. Not a great look. I'm told they've been there for thirty, forty years. No one knows how long they can live for. They might outlive all of us, who knows!"
That's how I know there are no aliens at Area 51. Trump would've spilled the beans by now. Unless they are hiding it from Trump... that's doubtful.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:36:01 AM »

<cocks head like a questioning dog> That's how you know there are no aliens?

Anyway, the evil part of me really really hopes they try.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:12:19 AM »

It is scientifically improbable that there aren't any aliens as smart as humans or smarter anywhere within this cluster of galaxies. The only improbable thing would be them getting all the way here and sticking around.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 06:27:27 AM »

It is scientifically improbable that there aren't any aliens as smart as humans or smarter anywhere within this cluster of galaxies.
sure
The only improbable thing would be them getting all the way here and sticking around.
and not being noticed by anybody outside the US govt.  And kept hidden successfully at the place all the yahoos think they're secretly kept by thousands of different Americans over several generations.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »

When I was growing up, there were frequent news stories about UFO sightings, sometimes with (usually fuzzy) pictures.

Now that everyone walks around with a camera in their pocket, these stories have pretty much dried up.  Funny, isn't it?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »

It would really be a ribbon on the Trump legacy if we get the headline "Government forces at Area 51 kill 11,000 'for teh lolz' marchers"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2019, 10:17:24 AM by Edgar Suit Larry »

I saw a UFO a few months ago in the Everglades. Notwithstanding that:

There are probably countless planets in the galaxy that have life.
There is probably a small but respectable number of planets from where “aliens” are currently from.
It’s probably impossible to get here and if it turns out to be simply extremely difficult rather than impossible or simply “very challenging” to get here, it’s very hard to imagine them letting them also be noticed by us let alone staying in touch and sticking around in secret.

Though who knows? If it is just “very challenging “, maybe a few of the survivors of this protest will just come back with a big craving of sugar water.

It would really be a ribbon on the Trump legacy if we get the headline "Government forces at Area 51 kill 11,000 'for teh lolz' marchers"

That would be the crowning achievement of autistic internet politics of which both this “demonstration” and this administration is a product of.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »

You never know when a few thousandths of a person might show up.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »

You never know when a few thousandths of a person might show up.

I appreciate his precision. I might have otherwise thought it was going to be 499.743 or something.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »

Even if we were keeping aliens somewhere I highly doubt they'd be at Area 51. It gets too much press.
When I was growing up, there were frequent news stories about UFO sightings, sometimes with (usually fuzzy) pictures.

Now that everyone walks around with a camera in their pocket, these stories have pretty much dried up.  Funny, isn't it?

While it is true that UFO sightings have been decreasing every year since 2014 I don't think it's accurate to say they've completely dried up. As the article itself says, Navy pilots are reporting increasing reports of seeing UFO's that they are unable to classify. Now this does not mean they're aliens, of course. It could be something mundane, or more likely something experimental the government is testing out.  

My own personal view is that 95% of sighting are clearly mundane or have some rational explanation. The other 5% probably have some other rational explanation as well that's not aliens, so it's best not to jump to that conclusion. But I'll admit I'm a bit of a romantic and I Want To Believe. Helps that the Greys are so cute as well, with their big wobbly heads. Tongue
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »

It is scientifically improbable that there aren't any aliens as smart as humans or smarter anywhere within this cluster of galaxies.

Is it? We have no way to quantify such a probability. We just don't know if our being here is a 1/1000 chance, 1/1000000 chance, 1/1000000000000000000000 chance, or any other probability.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »

Is it? We have no way to quantify such a probability. We just don't know if our being here is a 1/1000 chance, 1/1000000 chance, 1/1000000000000000000000 chance, or any other probability.

Have you ever heard of the Drake equation?

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »

I have. It's fun, but we don't really know what any of those values are.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

Even if we were keeping aliens somewhere I highly doubt they'd be at Area 51. It gets too much press.

Now that everyone walks around with a camera in their pocket, these stories have pretty much dried up.  Funny, isn't it?

While it is true that UFO sightings have been decreasing every year since 2014 I don't think it's accurate to say they've completely dried up. As the article itself says, Navy pilots are reporting increasing reports of seeing UFO's that they are unable to classify. Now this does not mean they're aliens, of course. It could be something mundane, or more likely something experimental the government is testing out.  

My own personal view is that 95% of sighting are clearly mundane or have some rational explanation. The other 5% probably have some other rational explanation as well that's not aliens, so it's best not to jump to that conclusion. But I'll admit I'm a bit of a romantic and I Want To Believe. Helps that the Greys are so cute as well, with their big wobbly heads. Tongue

Conventional aircraft at unusual angles, weather balloons, mirages, the planets Venus and Mars )both visible by day under some circumstances...
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 05:27:14 PM »

Lmao I can't wait to see the Weebs naruto running into Area 51
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:37 PM »

The tricky one isn't intelligent life (octopuses have been around for a very long time)  but instead

(1) how likely intelligent life is to develop a technological civilization,
(2) how long such a technological civilization lasts, and
(3) whether such a technological civilization is detectable.

Dolphins, whales, and elephants are very smart, capable of competing with us in intelligence. So if you want to meet intelligent life in the universe, go meet some dolphins or elephants -- except that elephants are extremely dangerous creatures.  

(third planet from a star about midway between Altair and Sirius):

Still-profligate users of energy, their light show and radio signals indicate that they have no idea that the ***** interplanetary Empire preys on civilizations like that... must visit, warn, and reorganize...probably have more hydrogen monoxide than they know what to do with.  
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

Two things: the memes from this development have been awesome, and yes, the U.S. military most certainly can stop all of you (especially given that around 10 people are going to actually show up).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies