CIO Fox guest: "Great blessing" that old Americans can't afford to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:31:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CIO Fox guest: "Great blessing" that old Americans can't afford to retire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CIO Fox guest: "Great blessing" that old Americans can't afford to retire  (Read 2722 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/fox-business-guest-retirement-spin_n_5d246316e4b0583e4826fb55

The poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research released on Monday suggested 23% of workers expect to never stop working.
"It’s not like it hurts. Why would I stop it? This is great. What a great country where we have the opportunity to keep working. What a miracle where our lives are long enough and we’re healthy enough and mentally alert enough so we don’t have to retire like generations before us. This is a great blessing. You should embrace it."

This is EXTREMELY disturbing. Legitimately reminds me of 1984 or some other futuristic dystopia.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »

America has really become a parody.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »

This should make stomachs churn.   That's awful.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

Remember that town hall debate when that woman told GWB that she worked three jobs and Bush said something like "what better example of being an American?"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2019, 10:26:25 PM by Joe Republic »

Next time I see the 85 year old Walmart greeter (usually seen leaning on a shopping cart), I’ll be sure to congratulate them.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »

A very boomer attitude.  Work is the greatest thing ever!
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »

A very boomer attitude.  Work is the greatest thing ever!
A very boomer and elitist attitude. It's like a robber baron from the industrial revolution who only saw his workers as parts of a machine/factory.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:21:50 PM »

There’s nothing wrong with work, and people should not be FORCED into retirement.  If people want to retire, thats also fine.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »

There’s nothing wrong with work, and people should not be FORCED into retirement.  If people want to retire, thats also fine.
This discussion is not about the legal right to retire when and if you want.

It's about a sad and serious economic problem we have going on and Fox News claiming that the problem is actually a blessing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »

Some conservatives would like to train people into settling for less by making it seems great. I worked at a department store in retail support a few years ago with a 67 year old grandmother who was living in a rented room with only a hot plate to cook on. Sure, she was able to do the work, but who wants to work, live paycheck to paycheck and barely get by past 65?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »

Some conservatives would like to train people into settling for less by making it seems great. I worked at a department store in retail support a few years ago with a 67 year old grandmother who was living in a rented room with only a hot plate to cook on. Sure, she was able to do the work, but who wants to work, live paycheck to paycheck and barely get by past 65?
That old loser should've pulled herself up by her bootstraps.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »

Isn't this Fox's main demographic that's being condescended to here? The right really doesn't give a f*** about anything, do they? And naturally they won't suffer for this as the 65+ crowd will continue to watch.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/fox-business-guest-retirement-spin_n_5d246316e4b0583e4826fb55

The poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research released on Monday suggested 23% of workers expect to never stop working.
"It’s not like it hurts. Why would I stop it? This is great. What a great country where we have the opportunity to keep working. What a miracle where our lives are long enough and we’re healthy enough and mentally alert enough so we don’t have to retire like generations before us. This is a great blessing. You should embrace it."

This is EXTREMELY disturbing. Legitimately reminds me of 1984 or some other futuristic dystopia.

"Arbeit macht frei!"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:19 PM »

Isn't this Fox's main demographic that's being condescended to here? The right really doesn't give a f*** about anything, do they? And naturally they won't suffer for this as the 65+ crowd will continue to watch.

"Hannity’s right, Hillary Clinton and the brown horde of wetbacks are the reason I lost my home back in ‘09."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »

Protestant work ethic is one of the saddest ideals that have ever become Americanized.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »

Remember that town hall debate when that woman told GWB that she worked three jobs and Bush said something like "what better example of being an American?"

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »

The 23% figure of those who don't plan to retire doesn't tell you a whole lot.  Why is it?  Because they like their job?  Or because they can't afford to retire?

He's not wrong to say it's a blessing that more people can be healthy enough and have less physically demanding jobs that they can work more years.  But he's wrong to downplay the struggles of people who don't plan to ever retire because they don't have enough money - and these same people may be likely to not be in great health or have more physically demanding jobs.  And people whose work has been irregular, or not in the formal economy, may not even have Social Security to rely upon.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 12:22:02 AM »

I learned over a decade ago that the types of people who populate the Business channels and business websites, the kind of day trader, financial industry types are some of the most horrible people ever.

I recall reading an article from 2009 that claimed the recession was a good thing because it meant he could finally get decent service at the coffee shop since it was an employers market.

As the type of conservative that seeks to understand and prevent the kind of conditions that lead to the rise of people like Lenin, I must say this attitude makes me sick and is part of the reason I have been railing against Investor's Business Daily and Wall Street Journal even back in the days when I was a Romney supporter.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 12:38:22 AM »

Aaaand now I'm sad because I used to think that the Bush era was the modern-day nadir of the US & that we could only get better from there.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 08:22:17 AM »

I learned over a decade ago that the types of people who populate the Business channels and business websites, the kind of day trader, financial industry types are some of the most horrible people ever.

I recall reading an article from 2009 that claimed the recession was a good thing because it meant he could finally get decent service at the coffee shop since it was an employers market.

As the type of conservative that seeks to understand and prevent the kind of conditions that lead to the rise of people like Lenin, I must say this attitude makes me sick and is part of the reason I have been railing against Investor's Business Daily and Wall Street Journal even back in the days when I was a Romney supporter.
Yeah, it's interesting (and/or concerning) that capitalism, or the business elite, or whatever, used to have the ability to adapt and constrain the most excessive edges of capitalism for the good of its own survival. I mean, the embedded liberal era is the most obvious example of this, where capitalism was able to reform itself, precisely to stave of the Communist thread.

Nowadays though, it seems to have lost its ability to do this, and desparately screams down even the most tepid attempts to reform or constrain it. This may be precisely because there isn't an equivalent of Soviet Russia looming in the background - but it doesn't seem too far fetched to feel that modern liberal capitalism's refusal to bend with the prevailing wind is going to contain the seeds of its own downfall.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »

Protestant work ethic is one of the saddest ideals that have ever become Americanized.

Best, you mean.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »

Retirement has its health risks, too but thinking that living in poverty past the age when everyone ‘s health starts to fail is a good thing is retarded. It’s up there with thinking it’s a blessing or providence to be raped.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »

Two of these in the same week, wow.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2019/07/09/Fox-host-Thank-God-we-live-in-the-kind-of-country-where-you-can-work-multiple-jobs/224144

Here we have Fox hosts praising America for giving us the ability to work 3 or 4 jobs. Not ONCE do they talk about how some people need to do this just to survive. It's only spun is a positive way, praising freedom and capitalism.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »

Retirement has its health risks, too but thinking that living in poverty past the age when everyone ‘s health starts to fail is a good thing is retarded. It’s up there with thinking it’s a blessing or providence to be raped.

People often retire due to failing health, physical or mental. which may reflect the statistical link between retirement and death.

Right-wingers see mass hardship much as Dr. Pangloss does in Candide -- that it is all for the best.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »

Yeah, it's interesting (and/or concerning) that capitalism, or the business elite, or whatever, used to have the ability to adapt and constrain the most excessive edges of capitalism for the good of its own survival. I mean, the embedded liberal era is the most obvious example of this, where capitalism was able to reform itself, precisely to stave of the Communist thread.

Nowadays though, it seems to have lost its ability to do this, and desparately screams down even the most tepid attempts to reform or constrain it. This may be precisely because there isn't an equivalent of Soviet Russia looming in the background - but it doesn't seem too far fetched to feel that modern liberal capitalism's refusal to bend with the prevailing wind is going to contain the seeds of its own downfall.

Of course because something has to give. If people are suffering and the one in power refuses to budge, sooner or later something is going to break lose and is probably that guy's head when the revolution begins.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies