Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:33:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 106971 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: October 30, 2019, 09:01:22 AM »

My take is that he has an extremely high floor. He has the entirety of the Old Confederacy, at least parts of the Midwest and Northeast, and I personally think he has the Southwest. His only problem is that he doesn't generate that much enthusiasm and I could see Warren winning in an upset by pulling off surprise wins in some of these places.

If he wins South Carolina and Nevada, as I think he will, it can be sold as an even 2-for-2.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1651 on: October 30, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »

Biden can still win if he places top 2/3 in Iowa and New Hampshire. But if Warren wins both those states AND Nevada, his chances take a big hit. Bernie winning any of those states over Warren helps Biden the most.
History505
« Reply #1652 on: October 30, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »

Yes, he can still win the nomination.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1653 on: October 30, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »

Biden has run a bad campaign and his inevitability is an illusion. He won't inspire the people Democrats really need to win and the idea he's going to win over some moderates is a mistake.

I hope he doesn't win. He doesn't represent the future of The Democratic Party.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1654 on: October 30, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »

Yes, he definitely can, especially if he wins NV. If he does a lot worse than expected in SC/on Super Tuesday, then we can talk.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1655 on: October 30, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2019, 10:52:03 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Probably not. Mathematically it's possible, for sure, but in practice not happening. If Biden loses IA and NH, that will cost him too much momentum to rebound. In this case, I predict a Biden win in SC, but with an underwhelming margin.

My gut feeling (no prediction) is that Buttigieg will either win IA outright or come in a strong 2nd, at the same time Biden and Sanders are very weak.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1656 on: October 30, 2019, 10:09:05 AM »

He still has an opportunity.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1657 on: October 30, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »

Probably not. Mathematically it's possible, for sure, but piratically not happening. If Biden loses IA and NH, that will cost him too much momentum to rebound.

Because the demographics of the Democratic electorate in IA and NH totally resemble those of the Democratic electorate in NV, SC, etc.? Clinton nearly lost both states in 2016 and still won the nomination in a landslide.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1658 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »

Of course he can. People on Atlas really underestimate Biden because they dislike him. I'd bet on Warren winning if I had to guess right now, but Biden still has a very solid shot.

And there is not much evidence he will collapse either, he's been pretty robust in the polls once you control for the slide after his announcement bump.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1659 on: October 30, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »

Yes.  He can also lose.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1660 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »

Primaries are pretty much over, Biden has solidified the AA vote and Harris support. Biden wins primary by Super Tuesday, when the South votes.  On the GE. He can coopt the millionaire tax and student loan forgiveness, by rescinding the top brackets tax cuts. GOP love to say it raises taxes, but Trump keeps coming back to Speaker Pelosi asking for more money for the wall. With more money, we can fund wall, with Trump unaffordable tax cut repeal, thus social programs, like student loan forgiveness won't be cut.  Also, Section 8 vouchers can be opened up again.

Nope it is more likely than not that Biden loses the primaries.

I dont see how Warren can lose the Southern primaries and win, even if she does win Cali, TX VA and FL will cancel her delegate lead. Survey USA had Biden ahead in Cali

After all, even despite losing New York, Texas, Florida and California to Clinton in the 2008 Democratic primaries, Obama still won the nomination mostly due to his strength in the South thanks to black voter support.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1661 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »

Primaries are pretty much over, Biden has solidified the AA vote and Harris support. Biden wins primary by Super Tuesday, when the South votes.  On the GE. He can coopt the millionaire tax and student loan forgiveness, by rescinding the top brackets tax cuts. GOP love to say it raises taxes, but Trump keeps coming back to Speaker Pelosi asking for more money for the wall. With more money, we can fund wall, with Trump unaffordable tax cut repeal, thus social programs, like student loan forgiveness won't be cut.  Also, Section 8 vouchers can be opened up again.

Nope it is more likely than not that Biden loses the primaries.

I dont see how Warren can lose the Southern primaries and win, even if she does win Cali, TX VA and FL will cancel her delegate lead. Survey USA had Biden ahead in Cali

After all, even despite losing New York, Texas, Florida and California to Clinton in the 2008 Democratic primaries, Obama still won the nomination mostly due to his strength in the South thanks to black voter support.

Fore sure Obama did, but black support could be shifting if Biden does poorly in IA and NH. Remember southern blacks only started to shift to Obama after his upset in IA. Before, they were mostly behind HRC.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1662 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2019, 10:51:44 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Probably not. Mathematically it's possible, for sure, but in practice not happening. If Biden loses IA and NH, that will cost him too much momentum to rebound.

Because the demographics of the Democratic electorate in IA and NH totally resemble those of the Democratic electorate in NV, SC, etc.? Clinton nearly lost both states in 2016 and still won the nomination in a landslide.

If Biden ends up 3rd or even 4th in IA with less than 20% of the vote, which is possible, it will cost him so much momentum that will be hard to regain. The momentum will be with Warren then and may cause Sanders to drop out or collapse. I'm not saying Biden is done if he fails in IA and NH, but his chances for the nom would be substantially reduced.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1663 on: October 30, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »

If he at least places 2nd or 3rd in IA/NH, then yes, he's still in the game. If he gets 4th in either AND loses NV, then he'll need a huge win in SC (larger than expected) to stay in the game.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #1664 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »

The nomination maybe, but his chances are slipping every day. The presidency no.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1665 on: October 30, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »

Yes. Counter-intuitively, I think his campaign is helped by the presence of Sanders, who should perform well in NH and IA and thus prevent Warren from winning big in either state, which would in turn put an even bigger spotlight on SC. He can also plausibly claim that Warren and Sanders have a built-in advantage in NH since they both represent bordering states, and that IA's caucus is unrepresentative of the broader electorate. So I think he could even survive two third place finishes, though that would be pushing it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1666 on: October 30, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1667 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »

Yes. But if he loses both of Iowa & NH & to the same person then he will 100% lose. I dont know why are people being so dumb. There will be 1 debate after Iowa where all Biden will be asked about will be his failure among young voters, lack of inspiration, how he is collapsing  & so on.

Then there will be another debate after NH & it will be about his gaffes, poor fundraising/grassroots support & so on. He will be hammered. The whole myth of his electability will be shattered. And then he goes to Nevada with that momentum. He is already losing or tied or marginally ahead & with that kind of result he loses Nevada too.

So before the SC debate, he does 0-3, crashes in fundraising. The media blasts him. You will have every single pundit digging some story about the failure of Joe. You will leaks & people giving scoops from the campaign.

You can't go 0-3 to South Carolina. No1 has gone to SC 0-3 & has won the nomination. In 2016 Clinton won Iowa & Nevada. In 2008 Obama won Iowa without which he would have lost.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1668 on: October 30, 2019, 08:47:40 PM »

Biden isnt gonna lose all three, IA, NH. Ca and NV have had all three frontrunners ahead. Warren and Sanders have to win all three to stay in, all Biden has to do is split and onto SC
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1669 on: November 02, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »

God I hope he gets destroyed in both IA and NH.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #1670 on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »

If you're running Biden's campaign, what central message are you focusing on to ensure he's the nominee rather than Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg?

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1671 on: November 03, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »

About being strong on natl security and helping Obama kill Bin Laden in the raid. Has natl security experience with being close to Israel
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1672 on: November 03, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »

“I can appeal to independents, Warren can’t (or won’t)”
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1673 on: November 03, 2019, 01:05:48 PM »

“I can appeal to independents, Warren can’t (or won’t)”

This, plus his foreign policy experience is unmatched in the field. With 36 years on Senate Foreign Relations plus eight years as VP, he's well-respected among world leaders.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1674 on: November 03, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »

About being strong on natl security and helping Obama kill Bin Laden in the raid. Has natl security experience with being close to Israel
This is no longer an asset in Democratic primaries (thank god).

I do realize who I'm arguing with, but I wanted to make the point regardless.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies