Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:49:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 106853 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »

It's funny how after being treated with kid gloves for 8 years that the media is suddenly "discovering" these stories. The only time the media isn't in the tank for a Democrat is during a primary when they have multiple masters to serve, O'Rourke is also learning this lesson the hard way
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2019, 01:32:13 AM »

It's funny how after being treated with kid gloves for 8 years that the media is suddenly "discovering" these stories. The only time the media isn't in the tank for a Democrat is during a primary when they have multiple masters to serve, O'Rourke is also learning this lesson the hard way

Masters? You're implying Democrats run the media?

Did you miss the nonstop coverage of the email 'controversy!' in 2016 entirely somehow? The media is driven by the most absurd things at times in order to chase their profit. What more, this ain't about the media, its about Democrats challenging Joey B finally when there's not been a need to vet him for decades because until now he's always been a non-issue. Republicans could had done all this leg work themselves in 08 and 12 of course, but kind of super dropped by ball. But then again, Biden working with Republican racists might have brought up some uncomfortable questions for the Republicans. Dems overall on the other hand have an interest in kicking such elements out, and not taking it from those who see racist losers as just not that bad.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »

This is the opening that Trump needs to stop Biden's momentum.  Biden had huge momentum over Trump, once again Biden made another gaffe
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »

This is purely anecdotal, but here is the sense I've gotten from talking to several people who are exactly the types who form one of the three legs of the stool of the Biden primary coalition*: affluent, liberal-ish (but in a decidedly establishment way) baby-boomers in suburbia with some sort of graduate school education who don't love Biden, but staunchly support him both b/c they're convinced he is the #MostElectable and due to rose-colored glasses nostalgia for the Obama years. 

While a lot of the criticism of Biden has been dismissed by the folks I'm referring to, I've spoken to several who have expressed serious doubts about whether he's the most electable GE candidate after all in light of Biden's Dixiecrat comments.  The busing opposition they don't mind, but the perception (fairly or unfairly) is definitely that Biden won't stop praising segregationist Senators and it's giving at least some of his affluent, white suburban supporters real pause.  I've even heard one say she's no longer convinced Biden is a viable candidate. 

Things aren't nearly at the point where this group abandoning him in droves or anything like that, but the sense I get is that (at least for this group) it seems to have been strike one regarding Biden's lock on this bloc. 

*The other two legs of the Biden stool being African-Americans in the black belt and the corporatist DC establishmentarian types who rammed Hillary down everyone's throat in the 2016 Democratic Primaries (mainly by scaring other candidates out of the race with Biden ironically being the most infamous example)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »

Galaxie

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »

Good god that's BIDEN? I thought that was Jimmy Carter at first. He looks OLD now.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »

He looks good.

Higgins
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »

He looks old. He's what, 76? He's an old 76. I've seen people at the same age look a lot better. Trump and Reagan for instance or even people in real life....
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »

He looks old. He's what, 76? He's an old 76. I've seen people at the same age look a lot better. Trump and Reagan for instance or even people in real life....

He clearly looks healthier than Trump, whether that equals looking "better" overall or not.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »

He looks good.

The polls have changed.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »

This is the opening that Trump needs to stop Biden's momentum.  Biden had huge momentum over Trump, once again Biden made another gaffe

Honestly, I don't see this being as harmful for Biden in a general election as it will be for him in the primary. It definitely isn't helping him in any way, but the media cycle by the time he wins the nomination (if he does) will be well beyond this. Trump isn't the only one who can advantage of Americans' short attention spans and memories.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »

Honestly, I don't see this being as harmful for Biden in a general election as it will be for him in the primary. It definitely isn't helping him in any way, but the media cycle by the time he wins the nomination (if he does) will be well beyond this. Trump isn't the only one who can advantage of Americans' short attention spans and memories.

Couldn't Trump use it to deflect accusations of him being racist?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »

Yes, but I don't think it would deter people of color from turning out as much as he might think, because it's Trump we're talking about here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »

This is the opening that Trump needs to stop Biden's momentum.  Biden had huge momentum over Trump, once again Biden made another gaffe

Yes, but I don't think it would deter people of color from turning out as much as he might think, because it's Trump we're talking about here.

It's not the racist comments that will hurt him, it's all of the comments, like six abuse with women. Dems still have the advantage, but at the end, Trump closed the gap with white women,  with Hilary. Females are sensitive to comments like this, as they were with Hilary's ethics. That's why polls are narrowing.

Not only that, Bernie can still win IA and NH, these comments don't help Biden, with Sanders voters
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2019, 11:51:51 PM »

It's smarter to go after him on choice, he has way more issues on abortion than just Hyde. I also think hitting him on pushing for Social Security cuts is a must, I saw this article being shared around FB a lot.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/joe-biden-has-called-for-social-security-cuts-3-times/ar-AABuQbg
Higgins
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2019, 06:13:50 AM »

He clearly looks healthier than Trump, whether that equals looking "better" overall or not.

It's not just how he looks; it's how he presents. Age to me is a very relative number. My parents are 65 but which on paper to me isn't old, but because of their physical and mental decline they present as being older than they are; in contrast, my girlfriend's grandmother is 78 and she presents very young. Trump may be obese, but he comes off young for his age with lots of energy and a high level of charisma (equally matched by a high level of ignorance). Biden, on the other hand, is obviously much more intelligent but he comes off as a tired, rather uninspiring and boring old man. Which is sad because just 7 years ago or so, he wasn't like that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »

Trump is extremely fat, which isn't a "healthy" look obviously but arguably it looks better on the elderly because it prevents him from looking gaunt and dangerously thin like Biden looks. Biden's starting to look a bit skeletal. Trump will never, ever look skeletal.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2019, 10:51:54 AM »

It's not just how he looks; it's how he presents. Age to me is a very relative number. My parents are 65 but which on paper to me isn't old, but because of their physical and mental decline they present as being older than they are; in contrast, my girlfriend's grandmother is 78 and she presents very young. Trump may be obese, but he comes off young for his age with lots of energy and a high level of charisma (equally matched by a high level of ignorance). Biden, on the other hand, is obviously much more intelligent but he comes off as a tired, rather uninspiring and boring old man. Which is sad because just 7 years ago or so, he wasn't like that.

Hillary had this problem as well, which is ironic because she was the youngest of her rivals.

Meanwhile Bernie despite always looking physically old has always acted much younger. Warren also has some of that energy.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »

Al Sharpton interviewed Biden: Joe Biden: Comments About Segregationists Taken Out Of Context; "They Didn't Print The Whole Deal"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »

Biden voted for Clarence Thomas, said that his state is a slave state and you must be Brown to work at 7-11. Biden has a history of racial insensitivity

Biden needs to apologize
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »

Biden voted for Clarence Thomas, said that his state is a slave state and you must be Brown to work at 7-11. Biden has a history of racial insensitivity

Biden needs to apologize

No. Biden voted against Thomas.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »

Biden needs to apologize

Yes, he did, the committee voted 13-1 to advance the nomination to the full Senate, where on the floor he voted against it.  Even Kennedy voted to advance the nomination to the full Senate. Paul Simon was the only one to vote against advancing the nomination to full Senate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination

That's why Biden apologized to Anita Hill
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »

Biden needs to apologize

Yes, he did, the committee voted 10-1 to advance the nomination to the full Senate, where on the floor he voted against it.  Even Kennedy voted to advance the nomination to the full Senate. Paul Simon was the only one to vote against advancing the nomination to full Senate.

lol@ Biden voting FOR a Black judge being evidence he's racist but if he actually voted AGAINST the Black judge, that's evidence he's not racist.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »

Yes, he tried to have it both ways, vote in Committee to advance the nomination, as chairman, like Senator Leahy, who succeeded him in committee ranking member, and vote in public against him
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »

Biden needs to apologize

Yes, he did, the committee voted 13-1 to advance the nomination to the full Senate, where on the floor he voted against it.  Even Kennedy voted to advance the nomination to the full Senate. Paul Simon was the only one to vote against advancing the nomination to full Senate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination

That's why Biden apologized to Anita Hill

He was part of a 13-1 majority to send the Thomas nomination to the full Senate without recommendation. A motion to give the nomination a favorable recommendation (i.e. a vote for Thomas) failed 7-7, with Biden having opposed it.

Moreover, in the context of discussing Anita Hill, the committee votes are irrelevant as they had nothing to do with her sexual harassment allegations, considering they only became public AFTER the nomination had been reported out from the committee, which you would know if you'd taken the 5 seconds it took to read the relevant section of the Wikipedia page you sent me rather than simply rush back here so you could continue talking out of your ass.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies