Pelosi attacks congressional Justice Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:20:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pelosi attacks congressional Justice Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Pelosi attacks congressional Justice Democrats  (Read 7138 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2019, 02:29:06 AM »
« edited: July 14, 2019, 04:09:25 AM by The party left me. »

The clapping emojis are cringe (like everything the Democrats do when they try to be cool), but defending Sharice Davids is great and necessary. I do wish they'd defend AOC too when the conservatives attack her with mysogenistic comments, but she should fire that staffer or give him a stern warning for attacking Davids.

Trump to the rescue: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez-treat-nancy-pelosi-respect/story?id=64295519

"I think Cortez is being very disrespectful to somebody who's been there a long time," Trump said to reporters as he left the White House for fundraisers in Wisconsin and Ohio. I deal with Nancy Pelosi a lot and we go back and forth and it’s fine, but I think that a group of people is being very disrespectful to her. And you know what, I don’t think that Nancy can let that go on."

"But Cortez should treat Nancy Pelosi with respect,” Trump added. “She should not be doing what she’s doing. And I’ll tell you something about Nancy Pelosi that you know better than I do. She is not a racist, okay. She is not a racist. For them to call her a racist is a disgrace."

A broken clock.

The issue isn't Sharice Davids being attacked. The issue is Nancy Pelosi demanding a ceasefire and Hakeem Jeffries (through the official House Democrats' account) breaking that ceasefire. Jeffries' communications director (who serves as the Caucus's as well) has also been liking attacks on AOC and Friends, and confirmed that Jeffries' office intentionally sent the tweet.

Deafening silence from James Monroe Twitter on Jeffries defying Pelosi's orders, and deafening silence from leadership about their heir apparent going rogue and using official channels to do so. It's absolutely heinous gaslighting. Unity for thee, not for me.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:34 AM »

What a mess.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »

The clapping emojis are cringe (like everything the Democrats do when they try to be cool), but defending Sharice Davids is great and necessary. I do wish they'd defend AOC too when the conservatives attack her with mysogenistic comments, but she should fire that staffer or give him a stern warning for attacking Davids.

Trump to the rescue: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez-treat-nancy-pelosi-respect/story?id=64295519

"I think Cortez is being very disrespectful to somebody who's been there a long time," Trump said to reporters as he left the White House for fundraisers in Wisconsin and Ohio. I deal with Nancy Pelosi a lot and we go back and forth and it’s fine, but I think that a group of people is being very disrespectful to her. And you know what, I don’t think that Nancy can let that go on."

"But Cortez should treat Nancy Pelosi with respect,” Trump added. “She should not be doing what she’s doing. And I’ll tell you something about Nancy Pelosi that you know better than I do. She is not a racist, okay. She is not a racist. For them to call her a racist is a disgrace."

A broken clock.

The issue isn't Sharice Davids being attacked. The issue is Nancy Pelosi demanding a ceasefire and Hakeem Jeffries (through the official House Democrats' account) breaking that ceasefire. Jeffries' communications director (who serves as the Caucus's as well) has also been liking attacks on AOC and Friends, and confirmed that Jeffries' office intentionally sent the tweet.

Deafening silence from James Monroe Twitter on Jeffries defying Pelosi's orders, and deafening silence from leadership about their heir apparent going rogue and using official channels to do so. It's absolutely heinous gaslighting. Unity for thee, not for me.

Hakeem Jeffries has always been awful, but that’s not Pelosi’s fault.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »

It's really not.  Sharice Davids represents the worst of the left.

..Because of this t-shirt?
That's a pretty disturbing t-shirt to be fair. Being proud specifically that your ancestors KILLED somebody is f___ed up, as opposed to being proud that your ancestors fought bad people and by necessity had to kill them. It's basically the same thing but when you choose to phrase it in a way that celebrates manslaughter, it's not helping the "let's all come together" narrative. It's a race war mentality.

WTF do you call killing people who come to murder you, enslave your family, destroy your culture and take your civilization's wealth if not "being proud that your ancestors fought bad people and by necessity had to kill them"?

I love the United States very much, and am proud of our better ideals and our struggle to live up to them. As a nation, we've made some great contributions to the humans race (and a lot of great mistakes as well). But let's not delude ourselves about how we started out or how we got here.

The Age of Exploration was technologically impressive, but it led to a great many objective reprehensible actions that have only very recently started to be countered. Our immediate English-speaking forefathers at Jamestown and Plymouth were respectively failed conquistadors who became drug-merchants and murderous religious fanatics. The Founding Fathers were smugglers and scofflaws. They also had some great ideals, that inspired people to be better than they were.

We can and should continue that tradition of striving to become better than we are, but deluding ourselves about the worst parts of our history will not help us get there.
I agree with everything in your post, but I'm not sure you understood my point.

We need to be creating a culture that rejects racism and violence, and when we celebrate past battles, we should be focusing on the victory aspect and viewing the violence and murder as unfortunately necessary means to that end. In my opinion, her shirt seems to imply that she is proud of the violence, not the battle and victory that required violence to acheive. Some might not see a big distinction, but I do.

Another way to explain myself here might be to say that she's taking a "Malcolm X" approach to the subject, whereas I and many others think a "Martin Luther King" approach is what society needs in regards to rejecting racism moving forwards.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »

It's really not.  Sharice Davids represents the worst of the left.

..Because of this t-shirt?
That's a pretty disturbing t-shirt to be fair. Being proud specifically that your ancestors KILLED somebody is f___ed up, as opposed to being proud that your ancestors fought bad people and by necessity had to kill them. It's basically the same thing but when you choose to phrase it in a way that celebrates manslaughter, it's not helping the "let's all come together" narrative. It's a race war mentality.

WTF do you call killing people who come to murder you, enslave your family, destroy your culture and take your civilization's wealth if not "being proud that your ancestors fought bad people and by necessity had to kill them"?

I love the United States very much, and am proud of our better ideals and our struggle to live up to them. As a nation, we've made some great contributions to the humans race (and a lot of great mistakes as well). But let's not delude ourselves about how we started out or how we got here.

The Age of Exploration was technologically impressive, but it led to a great many objective reprehensible actions that have only very recently started to be countered. Our immediate English-speaking forefathers at Jamestown and Plymouth were respectively failed conquistadors who became drug-merchants and murderous religious fanatics. The Founding Fathers were smugglers and scofflaws. They also had some great ideals, that inspired people to be better than they were.

We can and should continue that tradition of striving to become better than we are, but deluding ourselves about the worst parts of our history will not help us get there.
I agree with everything in your post, but I'm not sure you understood my point.

We need to be creating a culture that rejects racism and violence, and when we celebrate past battles, we should be focusing on the victory aspect and viewing the violence and murder as unfortunately necessary means to that end. In my opinion, her shirt seems to imply that she is proud of the violence, not the battle and victory that required violence to acheive. Some might not see a big distinction, but I do.

Another way to explain myself here might be to say that she's taking a "Malcolm X" approach to the subject, whereas I and many others think a "Martin Luther King" approach is what society needs in regards to rejecting racism moving forwards.

I did misunderstand your post - thank you very much for clarifying  what you were saying for me.  I did not read her shirt quite the same way - and I've no idea what the intended reading is supposed to be.

On a related note, her shirt put in my mind the song The March of Cambreadth by Alexander Adams, where the chorus goes, 

Axes flash, broadsword swing
Shining armour's piercing ring
Horses run with polished shield
Fight Those Bastards till They Yield
Midnight mare and blood red roan
Fight to Keep this Land Your Own
Sound the horn and call the cry
How Many of Them Can We Make Die!

The song (which I quite enjoy) was very popular among the right-wing, pro-military crowd when I was in college. Which I found amusingly ironic, given how the same individuals inevitably supported our invasion and occupations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Wealthy white progressives like AOC? Black rank and file voters like James Monroe?
James Monroe

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »

Wealthy white progressives like AOC? Black rank and file voters like James Monroe?

I don't refer myself as being representative of the black vote, that would be tone-deaf to my comments on this forum.

AOC is a person of color whose district is riffed with gentrification, allowing wealthy white progressives to hear their voices, which is how she won the primary and election. Those men with their scrubby beard, the PBR beer cans, obscure indie rock records laying on the floor, useless liberal art degrees, still get millions in podcast donations even with all the cash they have. You and other people on here have discredited Marcus analysis that have been on the mark with regards to the black vote, which isn't surprising for a lilly-white forum.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2019, 01:05:27 PM by The party left me. »

A broken clock.

Hakeem Jeffries has always been awful, but that’s not Pelosi’s fault.
Of course not.

What I will get upset over is Pelosi having the power to rebuke Hardaway like he did Chakrabarti but ostensibly choosing not to.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »

I don't refer myself as being representative of the black vote, that would be tone-deaf to my comments on this forum.

Yes you literally do
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »

Nancy Pelosi is f-cking useless

The same Nancy Pelosi that help get universal health care passed in the house? The same Nancy Pelosi that has gone toe to toe on Trump's policies?

Look, I disagree with what she's said and hope we can get a congressional invesitgation Acostoa. What I don't stand is the slander towards a women that has been determinable in fostering the political shape of the last 15 years. One of the most powerful house speakers our party has had since the days of Tip O'Neil. In the self-interest for the Democratic Party let's start defending Pelosi before the right wing gain narrative of the inter-conflict that is being played out.

Tip "f*(ked over Jimmy Carter" O'Neill but really went over for St. Ronnie is hardly a good example.

That's a really inaccurate portrayal of Tip O'Neill. He did his damnedest to stop reaganism as best she could after the 1980s shellacking Democrats took, and helps rebuild the party as best one could in the role of speaker.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »

Omar's statement in two steps short of publicly calling Pelosi a racist. If they disagree so profoundly with the party, maybe they should join the Republicans.
Pelosi is a racist though. No reasonable person would dispute that.

Citation needed. Badly.
James Monroe

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »

Yes you literally do

I'm just posting tweet replies from well-regarded black writers who know a thing or two about the community voting habits.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »

I'm not sure if Trump's actions today were him being stupid and racist, or him trying to box Pelosi into a corner.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »

I'm not sure if Trump's actions today were him being stupid and racist, or him trying to box Pelosi into a corner.

I would bet money on the former.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »

I would bet money on the former.

Yeah, a lot of his "4D chess" stuff is probably him being too stupid to understand what he's doing.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2019, 01:13:05 AM »

Just lol

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2019, 02:43:49 AM »

Just lol

Woooooooooow.

These women are a threat to their power, and by being anti-corruption, their donors' power as well. This is pathetic but it goes to show you how seriously threatened the establishment Dems are as the progressives gain favor in tne limelight. This war is just beginning. It will soon extend to Sanders and Warren versus the DNC, Biden amd Harris in the presidential election. Much is at stake.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2019, 05:33:28 AM »

Cuckgressive Democrats reject push to let 16-year-olds vote:
The Democratic-led House on Thursday turned down a proposal to let 16-year-olds vote in federal elections, which Republicans said is a plot to put more Democrats in office.

Almost every Republican and nearly half of the Democrats voted against the amendment from Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., and it failed 126-305.

Cuckgressive Democrats help Republicans shut down AOC psychedelics research measure:
In a sweeping rejection of what advocates regarded as a commonsense drug reform measure, a large majority of Democratic House members joined all but seven Republicans on Thursday in a vote against an amendment that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) filed to expand research into the potential benefits of psychedelic substances.

The measure, which was cleared by the House Rules Committee and was initially approved in a voice vote earlier Thursday morning, was soundly defeated in a 91 to 331 afternoon roll call vote. Democrats accounted for 148 of those “nay” votes.

Cuckgressive Democrats reject two AOC amendments to limit Trump border crisis crackdown:
The Democratic-led House rejected Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez-led efforts Friday to curb President Trump’s border crackdown.

Two amendments Ocasio-Cortez authored to a defense authorization bill failed to get enough support from her colleagues on the House floor Friday.

The Bronx Democrat, who has called for defunding ICE and disbanding the Department of Homeland Security, pushed an amendment to prohibit Trump from deploying troops on the southern border for immigration enforcement.

The House rejected her measure 179-241.

Ocasio-Cortez also sought to bar Trump from using funds to detain undocumented immigrants in Department of Defense facilities.

It failed by a 173-245 vote.

Let's just drop the illusion that the Democratic Party is center-left.  At the very best, it's a centrist party.  I'd even go as far to say that it's a conservative party in the old Burkean sense.  But it's most definitely not a social democratic party or even a center-left party.  And they'll do anything to throw progressives under the bus while convincing us that Joe Biden is the best alternative to Trump.  They'll sure as hell take your votes, though!

But no, I'm the bad guy because I dared to say that I might vote third party next year.

What.  A.  Joke.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2019, 05:49:24 AM »

The Democratic-led House on Thursday turned down a proposal to let 16-year-olds vote in federal elections, which Republicans said is a plot to put more Democrats in office.

Almost every Republican and nearly half of the Democrats voted against the amendment from Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., and it failed 126-305.

Cuckgressive Democrats help Republicans shut down AOC psychedelics research measure:
In a sweeping rejection of what advocates regarded as a commonsense drug reform measure, a large majority of Democratic House members joined all but seven Republicans on Thursday in a vote against an amendment that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) filed to expand research into the potential benefits of psychedelic substances.

The measure, which was cleared by the House Rules Committee and was initially approved in a voice vote earlier Thursday morning, was soundly defeated in a 91 to 331 afternoon roll call vote. Democrats accounted for 148 of those “nay” votes.

Cuckgressive Democrats reject two AOC amendments to limit Trump border crisis crackdown:
The Democratic-led House rejected Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez-led efforts Friday to curb President Trump’s border crackdown.

Two amendments Ocasio-Cortez authored to a defense authorization bill failed to get enough support from her colleagues on the House floor Friday.

The Bronx Democrat, who has called for defunding ICE and disbanding the Department of Homeland Security, pushed an amendment to prohibit Trump from deploying troops on the southern border for immigration enforcement.

Ocasio-Cortez also sought to bar Trump from using funds to detain undocumented immigrants in Department of Defense facilities.

Let's just drop the illusion that the Democratic Party is center-left.  At the very best, it's a centrist party.  I'd even go as far to say that it's a conservative party in the old Burkean sense.  But it's most definitely not a social democratic party or even a center-left party.  And they'll do anything to throw progressives under the bus while convincing us that Joe Biden is the best alternative to Trump.  They'll sure as hell take your votes, though!

But no, I'm the bad guy because I dared to say that I might vote third party next year.

What.  A.  Joke.

Or maybe, and here's just a mad idea I've come up with, having something pass the House doesn't automatically make it law? And putting something before a Republican Senate and President that can then tear it apart might hurt such a law if it came up under a Democratic trifecta in the future if the public reaction to it has already been defined. And maybe, and again, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, Pelosi is experienced enough to know that playing into Trump's hands is the last thing the Democrats need to do right now and that whatever proposals come along need to wait until they can be something other than posturing that would be at best a net neutral for the party? And maybe even, and stop me if I'm wrong, that this grand conspiracy to disenfranchise progressives is a load of bullsh*t that only came up because Pelosi won't cower to the demands of a couple of loudmouth freshmen who give Trump ammunition every time they open their mouths?

That's all some harmless theorising.

(fwiw I would identify more with the progressives than the establishment and I definitely think the Dems need to get rid of the stupid consensus centrist crap and start acting a lot more hardline. But there's a difference between that and stupid posturing that doesn't achieve anything apart from writing GOP attack ads. And also, crying foul every time something doesn't go your way is not a great strategy to get other Democrats (i.e the ones you need to vote for progressives to win primaries) onboard.)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »

What.  A.  Joke.

Or maybe, and here's just a mad idea I've come up with, having something pass the House doesn't automatically make it law? And putting something before a Republican Senate and President that can then tear it apart might hurt such a law if it came up under a Democratic trifecta in the future if the public reaction to it has already been defined. And maybe, and again, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, Pelosi is experienced enough to know that playing into Trump's hands is the last thing the Democrats need to do right now and that whatever proposals come along need to wait until they can be something other than posturing that would be at best a net neutral for the party? And maybe even, and stop me if I'm wrong, that this grand conspiracy to disenfranchise progressives is a load of bullsh*t that only came up because Pelosi won't cower to the demands of a couple of loudmouth freshmen who give Trump ammunition every time they open their mouths?

That's all some harmless theorising.

(fwiw I would identify more with the progressives than the establishment and I definitely think the Dems need to get rid of the stupid consensus centrist crap and start acting a lot more hardline. But there's a difference between that and stupid posturing that doesn't achieve anything apart from writing GOP attack ads. And also, crying foul every time something doesn't go your way is not a great strategy to get other Democrats (i.e the ones you need to vote for progressives to win primaries) onboard.)

The House GOP after 2010 passed a whole bunch of garbage that never reached the Senate, let alone become law.  Bottom line: the opposition's role, when they control one or both chambers of Congress, is not only to pass whatever the president will sign but to preview their agenda for the country if they retake power.  Democrats are either too chickensh!t or too detached from their own voters to do so.

Because it doesn't really matter what the Democrats do.  They'll be labeled communists in GOP attack ads regardless of what they pass or who they run.  To think otherwise, especially after the Obama years, is incredibly naive.  So you know what?  Let them run the damn attack ads.  Let them run against a higher minimum wage, lowering the voter age, stopping Trump's immigration demagoguery and militancy, and other things that the public doesn't agree with them on.

I don't think Pelosi is a bad politician, by the way.  I thought she was the most effective Speaker of the House since John McCormack.  But if she and the rest of the establishment wanted unity, they would stop poo-pooing all of the good ideas of the progressive wing of the party because BRONX LADY BAD and they don't want their own power over the party challenged by anyone.
James Monroe

« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »

Important to remind Cortez and co they vote as much as Trump than the average Democrat.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies