Can someone explain this sh*t of rebellions and a atlas civil war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 03:57:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Can someone explain this sh*t of rebellions and a atlas civil war
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Can someone explain this sh*t of rebellions and a atlas civil war  (Read 3057 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:05:56 PM »

Johannite Rising | New Mexico War | Atlasian Civil War | Arizona Crisis | Engle's Rebellion

How do rebellions work? and why was there a civil war in 2014 and 2004.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:25:47 PM »

Johannite Rising | New Mexico War | Atlasian Civil War | Arizona Crisis | Engle's Rebellion

2014:

The DemPGH Administration ended up involved in an open conflict with Game Moderator Sirnick which, to put it very mildly, did not end well for both. DemPGH fires the GM at the start of October 2014 asserting his view that the terrorist attack storyline pursued by Sirnick is unfair, it backfires badly as it is seen at the time as an assault of the political independence of the GM (Note 1). Most of DemPGH's cabinet resigns, presidential approval ratings go to hell, the President resigns under pressure from his party.

Then it starts to get messy.

VP Tyrion - elevated to the Vice-Presidency after a political battle over his Senate confirmation - is a sock of a previous user (Ogis), and while this fact is known in private to several individuals it is not known in public. The night DemPGH resigns, Attorney General Snowstalker tries to seize control of the federal government in a private coup, a couple of previously existent - but dormant - player terrorist organizations rise as well, a senator calls for regional seccession, and others claim to fight the rebels by claiming authority over their regions or the federal government.

So you know, an unholy and very active mess.

Tyrion takes office, abuses the pardon power by pardoning all Atlasian citizens for any crimes, reveals himself as a sock account and is banned within the next couple of days. The struggle against the ongoing rebellions continues, but at this point the entire cabinet has been fired or has resigned. Cranberry, nominated as SoIA by DemPGH is currently undergoing his confirmation hearings, the Senate  manages to confirm Cranberry in time before Tyrion is banned and we have our third president in less than a week.

Cranberry proves himself wise and competent, manages to restore order with the support of most of the nation and the conflict ends. A series of trials take place in the aftermath plus some extra insanity - some players try to create a new nation out of an garbage patch, the "Papal Patch" -, Cranberry serves out the remaining month of DemPGH's term and Atlasia is slowly restored into some semblance of normality in the coming months, before things go to hell again on Bloody July in 2015.

Note 1: Sirnick would later commit an act of terrorism by deleting several records after a rage quit of sorts. For some this means his earlier actions were also wrong and thus DemPGH would be rehabilitated as a victim of the situation, a view I don't happen to agree with (it was a ruinously incompetent administration).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:29:10 PM »

Here's a great play-by-play of the aftermath of the Thursday Night Massacre:

COUPDATE LIVE FEED: your one-stop source for "WTF IS HAPPENING" (UPDATED)

Also this
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »

Coupdate II

June 2015 Crisis in the Pacific Region

Bloody July

The Apocalypse - almost!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »

Bloody July interestingly enough does not have a wiki page and thus is not listed on that pictured index and it is more important than all of them.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »

2014:

The DemPGH Administration ended up involved in an open conflict with Game Moderator Sirnick which, to put it very mildly, did not end well for both. DemPGH fires the GM at the start of October 2014 asserting his view that the terrorist attack storyline pursued by Sirnick is unfair, it backfires badly as it is seen at the time as an assault of the political independence of the GM (Note 1). Most of DemPGH's cabinet resigns, presidential approval ratings go to hell, the President resigns under pressure from his party.

VP Tyrion - elevated to the Vice-Presidency after a political battle over his Senate confirmation - is a sock of a previous user (Ogis), and while this fact is known in private to several individuals it is not known in public. The night DemPGH resigns, Attorney General Snowstalker tries to seize control of the federal government in a private coup, a couple of previously existent - but dormant - player terrorist organizations rise as well, a senator calls for regional seccession, and others claim to fight the rebels by claiming authority over their regions or the federal government.

Tyrion takes office, abuses the pardon power by pardoning all Atlasian citizens for any crimes, reveals himself as a sock account and is banned within the next couple of days. The struggle against the ongoing rebellions continues, but at this point the entire cabinet has been fired or has resigned. Cranberry, nominated as SoIA by DemPGH is currently undergoing his confirmation hearings, the Senate  manages to confirm Cranberry in time before Tyrion is banned and we have our third president in less than a week.

Cranberry proves himself wise and competent, manages to restore order with the support of most of the nation and the conflict ends. A series of trials take place in the aftermath plus some extra insanity - some players try to create a new nation out of an garbage patch, the "Papal Patch" -, Cranberry serves out the remaining month of DemPGH's term and Atlasia is slowly restored into some semblance of normality in the coming months, before things go to hell again on Bloody July in 2015.

Note 1: Sirnick would later commit an act of terrorism by deleting several records after a rage quit of sorts. For some this means his earlier actions were also wrong and thus DemPGH would be rehabilitated as a victim of the situation, a view I don't happen to agree with (it was a ruinously incompetent administration).

At the time I was sort of bewildered how Cranberry became President, but considering my limited internet access at the time it isn't surprising that it took weeks for me to find out all what happened.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »

2019 Atlasia sounds boring compared to Atlasia 4-5 years ago
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:59:10 PM »

2019 Atlasia sounds boring compared to Atlasia 4-5 years ago

Just remember that when viewing these events, it is like reading about the Battle of Gettysburg. Both of these events crippled the game and led to massive declines in membership and players.

Was it eventful and dramatic yes, but this was against a backdrop of a game that was withering on the vine. Interest was declining at the regional level, the amount of debate in the Senate took a nose dive (frankly it never fully recovered its highs in early 2014). I wouldn't say the Atlasian Civil War directly caused the decline in activity, but it certainly didn't help it any.

Also it was very shocking to come online to find I was being charged with treason by a grudge crazed Attorney General who had taken a quote from the Senate debate threads warning against possible secession and claimed I was actually advocating for it, wasn't very fun though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »

Funny thing is that there was an expectation for the same thing to happen in Bloody July as the Atlasian Civil War with the rush to appoint a cabinet member who was pro-Atlasia in case Bore resigned or likewise had to be impeached. Ironically that cabinet member was Kalwejt, who had created the Papal Patch in the events of Oct 2014.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 10:09:14 PM »

At the time I was sort of bewildered how Cranberry became President, but considering my limited internet access at the time it isn't surprising that it took weeks for me to find out all what happened.

It was quite a remarkable situation. Right when it was revealed Tyrion was a sock and we had no remaining cabinet members for the succession I didn't have internet access for a few hours, and only managed to close his hearings as Senate PPT a bit later that day. Of course Tyrion would not be banned until a couple of days more (I think), but had he been banned as I was away I would have become President a month before and had to deal with what Cranberry solved rather admirably.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »

It was quite a remarkable situation. Right when it was revealed Tyrion was a sock and we had no remaining cabinet members for the succession I didn't have internet access for a few hours, and only managed to close his hearings as Senate PPT a bit later that day. Of course Tyrion would not be banned until a couple of days more (I think), but had he been banned as I was away I would have become President a month before and had to deal with what Cranberry solved rather admirably.

Was Cabinet above PPT in succession back then? I’ve always wondered why you didn’t become president at that point.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »

Tyrion was another gift from #Atlasforum clique dating back to when they and Labor were allies, an alliance that dated back to 2012 and came to end during the June 2014 elections. With all due respect to Adam, it is his revisionism trying to foist blame for 2015 on third parties in general, when it was a specific group that caused those events and one he has routinely relied on for votes both before and afterwards. They came from the same Atlasian political mindset of being anti-Liberal Party/anti-JCP and both they and Labor had been incubated in the same crib (The Midwest region). A good example of this relationship in action was if I am not mistaken, the fact that Xahar was the one that suggested Labor being Labor's name in 2012. 

There were accusations of him being a sock as far back as the October 2013 Pacific Senate elections and it was used to try and get people to vote for Superique instead of him.

The one thing that I will say about 2015, was that it proved the value of strong willed newer members, people like Truman and Blair, people who weren't tied in with pre-2015 factions on the left and center left and were willing to say and do what was right for the game even if it meant challenging their own Labor/TPP administration, impeaching big names like Al and Nix and pushing the Senate to declare war on TNF.

Had we the Senate of say just a few months prior, things would have been very disastrous with the Atlasforum Clique controlling a majority of seats through various parties and indies, the game would not exist right now.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »

Was Cabinet above PPT in succession back then? I’ve always wondered why you didn’t become president at that point.

Yep, the Cabinet - SoEA, AG and then SoIA - came before PPT due a previous constitutional amendment, then myself. That week could have seen a lot of hypothetical presidents:

-If Nix or Hagrid hadn't resigned from the Cabinet in protest over Sirnick's firing either would have become president after Tyrion was banned (assuming, of course, DemPGH resigns in this scenario)

-If Snowstalker hadn't attempted treason and gotten fired he would have outranked Cranberry as SoIA

-Hifly had been nominated by DemPGH as SoEA, but his views on gay marriage - among other things - made him unacceptable to the Senate and we voted his nomination down, he would have also outranked Cranberry if confirmed

-And myself, of course, had Tyrion been banned before Cranberry was confirmed
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »

Yep, the Cabinet - SoEA, AG and then SoIA - came before PPT due a previous constitutional amendment, then myself. That week could have seen a lot of hypothetical presidents:

-If Nix or Hagrid hadn't resigned from the Cabinet in protest over Sirnick's firing either would have become president after Tyrion was banned (assuming, of course, DemPGH resigns in this scenario)

-If Snowstalker hadn't attempted treason and gotten fired he would have outranked Cranberry as SoIA

-Hifly had been nominated by DemPGH as SoEA, but his views on gay marriage - among other things - made him unacceptable to the Senate and we voted his nomination down, he would have also outranked Cranberry if confirmed

My god this even reads like something out of the War of the Roses.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »

My god this even reads like something out of the War of the Roses.

* another musical incoming *
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »

It literally reminded me of the death or the removal of the various people ahead of Richard III in the succession.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »

How can you get exiled to Singapore like Simfan did?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2019, 10:41:32 AM by Chief Justice windjammer »

2014:

Making this whole incompetent DemPGH elected president is the main mistake of my atlasian life as I thought at the time it cost me dearly as he forced me to resign as VP basically.

But with hindsight, having been sacked earlier saved my political career as I had no involvement in this massacre and could soon return to the senate as the first labor mideast senator.

However, while being TOTALLY incompetent, I believe he was totally right about sacking sirnick. You cannot simply create alternative timelines when everything is on fire and destroyed, that's too much power to the GM.

So I basically agree and disagree with you. I agree with you that DemPGH WAS A MASSIVE INCOMPETENT PRESIDENT. I disagree with you about his handling of the GM stuff. Firing the GM was his sanest action during the presidency. People only realized their mistake by forcing him to resign for that when the GM decided to insanely blackmail his successor and to delete various valuable threads.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »

Oh God. If he had waited 48-72 hours to launch his coup, he could have carried out the Communist Revolution with the Atlasian armed forces and nuclear arsenal at his back.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »

What would happen to Atlas if Snowstalker successfully launched his coup?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »

Senate Impeachment probably, assuming enough Senators were still sane, reasonable, not part of the shenanigans.

We resorted to impeachment the following July when the Attorney General sided with a Communist rebellion by the Midwest Governor and the Vice President fled to Cuba and called for Atlasia to surrender to the revolution.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 12:21:47 PM »

Senate Impeachment probably, assuming enough Senators were still sane, reasonable, not part of the shenanigans.

We resorted to impeachment the following July when the Attorney General sided with a Communist rebellion by the Midwest Governor and the Vice President fled to Cuba and called for Atlasia to surrender to the revolution.

Well, I guess in an alternate universe we would be living in the People's Republic of Atlasia? Sounds fun Tongue (and boring at the same time I guess).

Also funny how Atlasia had not 1 but two communist revolutions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »

Well, I guess in an alternate universe we would be living in the People's Republic of Atlasia? Sounds fun Tongue (and boring at the same time I guess).

Also funny how Atlasia had not 1 but two communist revolutions.

TNF's was far more serious, or perhaps that is just bias since I was front and center in opposition to the situation in July 2015 but was largely absent in Oct 2014. Also July 2015 was not just a Communist Revolution, but a wider effort to dissolve the game. So if that second one had succeeded we probably wouldn't be here right now.

The funny thing is even in my absence, the South was the only region not to experience some kind of rebellious activity. The same was the case in in 2015. For most of the Atlasian history, the South had been an epicenter of secessionist threats.

In the first case it was because Maxwell and Flo kept order in the South. The following summer it was largely in spite of Flo who was inactive and suspect of being part of the revolution along with his IRC buddies.

That is the great irony, a lot of the victors in the October situation (Nix, Flo, Maxwell, Cranberry) became dissolutionist in July 2015.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »

As to whether or not the Senate could have impeached Snowstalker, it is dicey at least until Oct 22nd.

The Senate at the time was
NE: Bore
ME: Cassius
MW: TNF
PA: Cranberry/Nix (Nix was appointed when Cranberry became President
IDS: myself

ATL 1: Deus Naturae
ATL 2: Lumine
ATL 3: Dr. Cynic
ATL 4: JCL
ATL 5: Polnut

7 Aye votes were needed. Deus was leading a secession effort, TNF was close with a snowstalker and Cassius was barely reachable/inactive as I recall.

And my internet access was cut and my neighbor went on vacation in early October depriving me of access to the site. I knew of DemPGH resigning, but I didn't get back on again until the after  all the rest had been done with. My full access was back by the 22nd.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »

Ah which fresh faced Senator faced down the coup in the Speakers Chair?

If you’re confused reading it imagine how baffled I was!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies