Where is the evidence that Trump is a "white nationalist"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:08:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Where is the evidence that Trump is a "white nationalist"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where is the evidence that Trump is a "white nationalist"?  (Read 904 times)
Kizzuwanda
cistem7
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »

From his actual policies it is clear that Trump is just another reactionary Republican, in the Reagan-Bush tradition. Like others he uses race-baiting dog-whistles and other pseudo-populist strategies to get elected, in order to pursue his real agenda of tax cuts for the rich and wars for Israel. His cabinet is  stuffed with establishment neocons, it has never included any alt-right or white nationalists. There were some alt-lite types like Bannon (right-wing Islamophobic civic nationalists) but they're mostly gone now.  And they aren't "white nationalists" - no self-described white nationalist would say they were. Nor was his "very fine people" comment an indication of support for white nationalism, rather he was saying that there were people protesting the remioval of the statue who weren't white nationalists. In other words it was just Trump being an idiot as usual. His statement that white nationalism is not a serious, rising threat was - based on my own research on the topic - true.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 02:25:52 PM »

Did Stephen Miller get fired yet?

Bannon got fired because he thought he could take out Javanka, which also made them clean house with Gorka. Trump didn't seem to have any problem with their white nationalism platform, only had a problem with them trying to breakup his family's cartel.

Your post seems very biased and lacking of any real research of who works and has worked in the White House and who holds influence with Trump and how that reflects in Trump's policies.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »

Where is the evidence that he *isn't*?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »

So is his uncle. Here are his thoughts on his nephew.

Stephen Miller Is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I’m His Uncle.
rob in cal
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »

My first go to litmus test is immigration.  On that issue Trump would definetly have signed a legal immigration restriction measure like the Goodlate bill, or the Cotton Perdue proposal, but then he turns around in the state of the union and says he wants higher rates of legal immigration, and did fire Sessions the one cabinet member who seemed most aligned with the idea of less immigration, so I'd say on this issue rather mixed in terms of white nationalist.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

My first go to litmus test is immigration.  On that issue Trump would definetly have signed a legal immigration restriction measure like the Goodlate bill, or the Cotton Perdue proposal, but then he turns around in the state of the union and says he wants higher rates of legal immigration, and did fire Sessions the one cabinet member who seemed most aligned with the idea of less immigration, so I'd say on this issue rather mixed in terms of white nationalist.

Firing sessions had nothing to do with immigration- and it’s worth noting he sacked a whole host of  people for not deporting enough brown people.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »

He fired Sessions because he recused himself from the Russia matter. Something he said was the greatest regret of his administration, appointing Sessions. So again nothing having to with immigration and instead all about protecting himself.

He also seriously considered Kris Kobach to be his immigration czar. And that seems to have fallen through only because Kobach acted like a diva and wanted a huge list of demands and authority.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »

He is not a white nationalist at all. He is a nativist, a xenophobe, and a racist, which lead to white nationalists getting energized by him, but there is no evidence he has any sort of ideological desire for racial purity or separation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »

He is not a white nationalist at all. He is a nativist, a xenophobe, and a racist, which lead to white nationalists getting energized by him, but there is no evidence he has any sort of ideological desire for racial purity or separation.

This is actually the right answer on this. That doesn't make it any better though. The fact that him being all of these things enables actual white nationalists should be damning enough.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »

This is actually the right answer on this. That doesn't make it any better though. The fact that him being all of these things enables actual white nationalists should be damning enough.

Basically the reasons that I didn't vote for Trump despite voting almost always voting Republican.  He's not a white nationalist but I was put off by the fact that he was responsible for the alt-right going from irrelevant corners of the internet to displaying their hatred in the open.

Interestingly, a lot of alt-rightists like Trump as a symbolic figure, but don't think he's actually going to pursue their political agenda.
Kizzuwanda
cistem7
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2019, 08:49:40 PM by cistem7 »

Basically the reasons that I didn't vote for Trump despite voting almost always voting Republican.  He's not a white nationalist but I was put off by the fact that he was responsible for the alt-right going from irrelevant corners of the internet to displaying their hatred in the open.
White nationalists have existed out in the open for decades. You were a lot more likely to see a Klan rally or a skinhead concert in the 80s and 90s than today. Ever heard of the Greensboro massacre? Unlike Charlottesville, that didn't get national attention because it didn't fit a media narrative.

If the alt-right has grown in the past few years it has far more to do with the endless media hype and hysteria surrounding it than with anything Republicans have done to supposedly "mainstream" its views. Liberal Democrats have literally adjusted their entire worldview to be centered on opposition to this bogeyman, and being everything the dreaded "alt right" is against.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »

I don't think Trump is a white nationalist per se, because that would imply he has any sort of coherent ideology (he doesn't). He's just willing to play to whatever outrage and hive-minded hate machine he can in order to prop himself up as long as possible.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »

Trump demonstrated many times his fondness of people who are white nationalists.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 12:45:53 AM »

It's not that he IS a white nationalist. It's that he has dodged golden opportunities left and right for 4 years to show America that he ISN'T one. Wouldn't you, as President, take advantage of a a perfect non-forced moment to show America that the a___holes calling you a racist are nothing but fake news?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 02:08:20 AM »

If he isn't, the white nationalists certainly think he's one of them. I don't know which is worse.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 05:03:32 AM »

I'm 30 and I didn't know being proud of a nation or proud of your culture was a bad thing. But apparently unless your nation is third-world and impoverished and your culture is diverse, then it is.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 08:44:55 AM »

I'm 30 and I didn't know being proud of a nation or proud of your culture was a bad thing. But apparently unless your nation is third-world and impoverished and your culture is diverse, then it is.

White culture is nothing.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:22 AM »

White culture is nothing.

There are a lot of great ethnic cultures among "white people" mostly drawing from the roots of their home countries. American culture is not white and never has been, it's always been a mix of many different people. I wish the schools did a better job of educating students about the contributions many groups made in the founding of this country.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »

There is no evidence that Trump is a white nationalist, nor has there ever been. That doesn't stop psychotic leftists from believing that he is one, though. Anyone who believes in enforcing the borders or limiting the number and type of people who immigrate into the country is a "white nationalist" these days.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »

We are talking about white nationalism. Not American nationalism. This is exactly what we are talking about. Its this weird dance to try to be racist without being racist and its just getting harder and harder.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »

I don't think Trump is really anything other than a sleazy af real estate developer from NYC who has a gut-level sense of how to successfully, permanently attention whore into the public consciousness (read: media manipulation).

A lot of white nationalists do seem to like him though, and he welcomes their support because of course he does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies