2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 05:23:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 62
Author Topic: 2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN  (Read 62958 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:30 PM »

Sanders and Warren dominated. Warren killed it with her answers on trade, racism, the wealth tax and eviscerating Delaney. She and Sanders have similar views but she showed her ability to explain her policies very well.
Literally no.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #701 on: July 30, 2019, 10:42:51 PM »

Sanders and Warren dominated. Warren killed it with her answers on trade, racism, the wealth tax and eviscerating Delaney. She and Sanders have similar views but she showed her ability to explain her policies very well.
Literally noYES.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #702 on: July 30, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »

Williamson SLAYED.
indietraveler

« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »

I feel like I need to tithe to Pete's campaign every time he exposes the hypocrisy of the religious right.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #704 on: July 30, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »

This debate was certainly livelier than last month's first night debate, yet I actually have less to say about it. So don't fear an overly long Progressive Pessimist post right here. Just a slightly long one.

All I'll say overall is that I think everybody either improved or performed similarly to their last debates with Buttigieg, Sanders, and Williamson being the standouts. Buttigieg was on point and staked a very interesting niche for himself. Sanders was a lot more animated and didn't just rely on his stump speech (maybe it's because he was on the defensive more). And Williamson came across as a lot less loopy and wacky compared to last time. She actually made some great points (also did she dye her hair?). Bullock is also kind of a winner since he got to finally put himself out there. He isn't going anywhere though and switch to the Montana Senate race as soon as possible. I doubt that this debate moved the needle very much for any of the candidates, but those three stand to benefit the most, if at all. I don't think there really any losers either, if it's anyone it's Hickenlooper just because the guy has no stage presence and couldn't help but stammer and fumble his way through his answers. Though Delaney too might have come out slightly weak since he was on defense a lot also.

When it comes to issues and messaging though, the progressives definitely won the night. It's pretty clear that the more mainstream candidates just don't have a meaningful way of inspiring enthusiasm like Sanders and Warren do. The only issue I think they won their exchanges with those two on was with eliminating private insurance. Seriously, I appreciate the idea that private insurance on principle shouldn't exist, but it's a non-starter as a  successful part of an appealing health care plan.

Also one more thing, this debate was simultaneously more organized than the NBC ones, yet also more chaotic at the same time somehow. Perhaps that's partly due to some of the fluff before the debate actually started, but also probably due to the seemingly shorter response times. When discussing substantial policy issues like these, even with ten candidates, they need at least a little more time to respond to questions and exchanges. Maybe ten candidates just isn't tenable enough for a relatively smooth debate. At least there were no microphone issues.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #705 on: July 30, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »

Marianne mainstreaming reparations and talking about how Trump connected to the psyche of white voters was spot on and brilliant. All while not even attacking no one on the stage.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #706 on: July 30, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 11:13:17 PM by Speaker YE »

Am I the only one who liked the shorter debate responses? Politicians annoy me the most when they ramble 24/7, and with less time, it's harder to ramble. It's hardly ever nuance as well that gets discussed during said extended time (and quite frankly the best way to get nuance in a debate like this is to ask specific questions) but rather stupid personal stories in which millionaires pretend to relate to lowlifes like myself.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #707 on: July 30, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

Marianne mainstreaming reparations and talking about how Trump connected to the psyche of white voters was spot on and brilliant. All while not even attacking no one on the stage.
When she broke it down to raw numbers of what was owed I had chills. Never thought I’d see the day. I’m surprised they let her finish that statement.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #708 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »

I feel like I need to tithe to Pete's campaign every time he exposes the hypocrisy of the religious right.

So true. That was by FAR his greatest debate moment when he did exactly that tonight. And yet he got like no applause at all in the audience. Perhaps Michiganders are extremely secular. I don't know, lol.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #709 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »

I'm so happy Bernie called-out CNN. He should have mentioned them along with the other special interests.

Bullock was absolutely terrible, there with Ryan, and Hickenlooper, Kobuchar, Beto, and Delaney. Bullock gave the worst foreign policy answer of the night so far, after that honor went to Tim Ryan last time. Seemed like he was having a stroke or sneaking shots of whiskey in the second half, kind of like Bennet in June.

Warren and Sanders did the best. Buttigieg communicated well too. Williamson surprisingly had a few good moments.

Photos taken of Tim Ryan during his two debates:

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #710 on: July 30, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »

Amy Klobuchar was absolutely bloody amazing tonight, couldn't disagree more with you.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #711 on: July 30, 2019, 11:25:56 PM »

Photos taken of Tim Ryan during his two debates:

Bringing twitter memes here first doesn't make it original.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #712 on: July 30, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »

1. They're true
2. They're funny Tongue
3. They're not from twitter but another forum
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #713 on: July 30, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »

Amy Klobuchar was absolutely bloody amazing tonight, couldn't disagree more with you.
I gave her $5. I want her on the stage in September.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #714 on: July 31, 2019, 12:05:41 AM »

Please tell me these debates are getting smaller next time around.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #715 on: July 31, 2019, 12:46:33 AM »

Unfortunately I couldn't see it because my power went out Sad
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #716 on: July 31, 2019, 12:58:29 AM »

Pete still fails to address his failure as a mayor when it comes to racial justice. No surprise at all
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #717 on: July 31, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »

Might f**k around and become an unironic Williamson supporter.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #718 on: July 31, 2019, 03:00:28 AM »

Didn't watch the debate; went to see the new Tarantino film instead. However, I'm watching it now. I think I got bingo about 45 minutes in. Those opening statements were a real whirlwind of platitudes, though. I think I checked off about five boxes during the first three minutes.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #719 on: July 31, 2019, 03:51:59 AM »

Tim Ryan just said "Nicaragua, Guatemala, and El Salvador" in reference to the Golden Triangle countries when the Golden Triangle countries are Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador.

Is this the end of the Tim Ryan campaign?

I don’t think even 10% of Americans know what the golden triangle countries are.
Myanmar, Thailand, and Laos.

or

Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #720 on: July 31, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »

Tim Ryan just said "Nicaragua, Guatemala, and El Salvador" in reference to the Golden Triangle countries when the Golden Triangle countries are Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador.

I don’t think even 10% of Americans know what the golden triangle countries are.

or

More aid to se asia please!

Haven't seen it since I'm in Thailand, but all I can tell for sure is that Hickenlooper and Ryan were the worst. Am I correct?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #721 on: July 31, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »

or

More aid to se asia please!

Haven't seen it since I'm in Thailand, but all I can tell for sure is that Hickenlooper and Ryan were the worst. Am I correct?

Nope. It was a close fight, but Delaney made a surprise showing to beat them out for "the worst"
Epaminondas

« Reply #722 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »

The right-wing press is trying very hard to make Williamson the perceived winner of the debate.

Breibart: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/30/marianne-williamson-dominates-google-searches-in-49-states-after-democrat-debate/

RedState: https://www.redstate.com/joesquire/2019/07/30/winners-losers-democratic-debate-part-one/

Washington Examiner: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/conservatives-talk-up-marianne-williamson-during-presidential-debate

PJ Media: https://pjmedia.com/trending/debate-tweet-recap-williamson-delaney-2020-if-dems-want-to-win/

Underhand attempt to give Trump a lifeline?
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #723 on: July 31, 2019, 08:32:23 AM »

I really like Klobuchar, but she seems so nervous every time I've heard her talk. Not just tonight.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #724 on: July 31, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »

Am I the only one who thought Ryan did decently? I don’t even like him, but he was leaps and bounds better than his disastrous performance in the first debate.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies