2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:24:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 62
Author Topic: 2nd DEM Debate Thread: July 30 & 31, Detroit (MI), CNN  (Read 62883 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »

Warren, Bernie, and Mayor Pete relegated to the kiddy table?  WTF?

There's no kiddy table. Any debate with the 3 of them has 3 of the top 5.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »

Warren, Bernie, and Mayor Pete relegated to the kiddy table?  WTF?

I don’t see anything kiddie table about 3 of the top 5 being on that night unless the not-Biden night is automatically the kiddie table in your eyes.

Could just be that it's ingrained that the first night is always seen as the kiddie table compared to the second night, especially ratings-wise.

It's also that in general, the more higher-profile people of the lower tier of candidates happen to be on night 2. You got two loud interrupting New Yorkers, a venture capitalist with unique policies, someone who's hated by the establishment (Gabbard, who could gun for Biden easily), and Sparticus.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2019, 09:55:19 PM »

Biden's in trouble again. While I think it's possible that Kamala might get labeled an opportunist or whatever if she goes after Biden, she might get her chance if Booker or Castro go after him first.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2019, 10:09:57 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Here's a breakdown of who has debated each other before and who will be new to each other. The people grouped together by color have yet to debate each other.

D = Debate
N = Night

D2N1

D1N1: Warren, O'Rourke, Klobuchar, Delaney, Ryan
D1N2: Sanders, Buttigieg, Williamson, Hickenlooper
None: Bullock

D2N2

D1N1: Castro, Booker, Inslee, Gabbard, de Blasio
D1N2: Biden, Harris, Yang, Gillibrand, Bennet
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »

All the people of color ended up on night 2.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »

Podium order:

Night 2: Bennet, Gillibrand, Castro, Booker, Biden, Harris, Yang, Gabbard, Inslee, de Blasio

Since when is Gabbard polling better than Gillibrand? And Yang polling better than Castro? This feels off to me.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:45 PM »

Oh god, Biden's going to be slaughtered.
gf20202
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2019, 11:21:02 PM »

Biden is going to get pounded by Harris, Booker, Yang, Gabbard, Castro, and De Blasio
Gabbard has actually been defending Biden lately on twitter. I don't think she'll join a dog-pile. And Yang isn't exactly an attack dog.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2019, 12:00:52 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:13:03 AM by Ogre Mage »

Biden is going to get pounded by Harris, Booker, Yang, Gabbard, Castro, and De Blasio
Gabbard has actually been defending Biden lately on twitter. I don't think she'll join a dog-pile. And Yang isn't exactly an attack dog.

Gabbard won't go after Biden about racism, but her criticism of the Obama Administration's foreign policy is well-documented.  That's where I'd look for her to attack.

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2019, 03:32:00 AM »

Podium order:

Night 2: Bennet, Gillibrand, Castro, Booker, Biden, Harris, Yang, Gabbard, Inslee, de Blasio

Since when is Gabbard polling better than Gillibrand? And Yang polling better than Castro? This feels off to me.

They had more qualifying polls.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »

Yeah you can see the polling results of the 8 qualifying polls that the DNC used here. Lines up with the podium order.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-matchup-will-be-the-storyline-of-the-second-debate/
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:51 AM »

Podium order:

The last week or two, that has been the case actually. Check RCP's current averages.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »

How any political party trusts CNN to host a debate after putting us through this spectacle, I'll never understand.

What didn't you like about the spectacle? It was transparent at least. No moderation could ever be worse than what NBC/MSNBC managed during the first debates.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »

Podium order:

This has been occurring since early July to late June. Pls look at RCP, Gillibrand has been less than 0.5 for a long time while Castro had a slight burst then faded.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »

All the people of color ended up on night 2.

Wrong; we have proud Latinx candidate Beto O'Rourke and noble Cherokee squaw Elizabeth Warren on night one.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2019, 06:07:04 AM »

I think both Biden and Harris got bad draws.  Biden because he is going to be under fire all night from aggressive lower polling candidates, many of whom are quite progressive and have nothing to lose.
 After stumbling on race he will be on the debate stage with every candidate of color in the field.  Harris because at this point, going after Biden a second time puts her in significant danger of raising her disapproval ratings.  It would be better if she could just project her own positive message, similar to what Warren did in the first debate.  But if Booker and Castro score hits on Biden while Harris stands passively by, do they start to siphon black and Latino support from her?  While most of the field will be going after Biden, Gabbard is a potential irritant for Harris.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2019, 08:08:55 AM »

Podium order:

The last week or two, that has been the case actually. Check RCP's current averages.

F***ing insane
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »

Podium order:

F***ing insane

Not insane at all. Yang is the smartest dude in the race and Gabbard is not a veteran for nothing. It takes a lot for a girl to go into the military, it's quite impressive in every way possible.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »

Podium order:

F***ing insane

Not insane at all. Yang is the smartest dude in the race and Gabbard is not a veteran for nothing. It takes a lot for a girl to go into the military, it's quite impressive in every way possible.

A lot of people had suggested Gabbard's reputation would tank after her run, and that she would be successfully primaried by Kai Kahele, when actually that hasn't happened at all, so I'm not surprised and I take my hat off to her.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »

Podium order:

F***ing insane

Asinine
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »

Podium order:

F***ing insane

Asinine

In a world where reason, knowledge and intelligence doesn't mean anything; sure. In a world were it does; it would be an absolute travesty not to elect Yang the next president.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »

Podium order:

F***ing insane

Asinine

In a world where reason, knowledge and intelligence doesn't mean anything; sure. In a world were it does; it would be an absolute travesty not to elect Yang the next president.

Ludicrous
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2019, 03:36:47 PM »

We all agree that Bernie's campaign basically ends in 9 days, right?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »

No?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »

...Why do you think that?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies