Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?  (Read 1295 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »

You think it'd be cool to see that? Didn't you hate Dude Fest music and say it was just like noise?

How the hell is this on late night TV? They'd never show anything like this!

1. No, I don't think I've ever heard any "Dude Fest" music before.

2. Slayer is one of the "Big 4" thrash metal bands, so I guess Fallon booked them for ratings. I agree it does seem odd that they'd be on late night TV though. They did play one of their signature songs.

TL;DR summary is that some metalheads were rude to me in high school and made fun of the "socially conscious" proto-SJW politics of the bands I like and bands that cried on stage.

No metal bands would do something like this:

snip

And of course no metal band would hand out this poster at their shows:

snip

Lots of metal bands, especially the famous ones, are left-wing. Those losers who were rude to you in high school are not representative of metal bands or metal fans. The idea that "no metal band" would support trans equality is not even close to being correct, and I don't mean just one random exception. Judas Priest in particular comes to mind as being liberal and LGBTQ+ accepting.

2,868,691 is right (Harry from Alaska).

Hell BRTD--- , even if you aren't a fan of Slayer, let alone Anthrax (My wife would leave me in a heartbeat to hang out with Scott Ian if she could hang out and have a few drinks on the tour bus---- non-sexual but still I would be bummed out), there are so many awesome artists on the list....

You are a Punk Rock fan, and you wouldn't want to watch the Descandents and Anti-Flag, among many other artists because of some grudge against "Heavy Metal Fans in Hish School?".....

Descendants---- "Milo Goes to College" was an extremely influential album from back in '82 from a SoCal Harcore Punk Band, which I still have a cassette tape of floating around somewhere....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Goes_to_College

Anti-Flag---- Basically started in the Mid '90s in Pittsburgh PA as a "Peace Punk" band at a time where the Punk movement as we knew it was starting to turn into a bunch of sell-outs.

Good chance there will be a "Peace Punk" Mosh Pit, but w/o stage-diving and the types of culture you described at various metal gigs growing up over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Flag

Go BRTD go..... swallow your musical purity, go to the gig and maybe just maybe at least watch the Thrax as part of your musical rehabilitation therapy....   Wink

We all support you as part of your conversion treatment.....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »

You think it'd be cool to see that? Didn't you hate Dude Fest music and say it was just like noise?

2. Slayer is one of the "Big 4" thrash metal bands, so I guess Fallon booked them for ratings. I agree it does seem odd that they'd be on late night TV though. They did play one of their signature songs.

TL;DR summary is that some metalheads were rude to me in high school and made fun of the "socially conscious" proto-SJW politics of the bands I like and bands that cried on stage.

snip

snip

Lots of metal bands, especially the famous ones, are left-wing. Those losers who were rude to you in high school are not representative of metal bands or metal fans. The idea that "no metal band" would support trans equality is not even close to being correct, and I don't mean just one random exception. Judas Priest in particular comes to mind as being liberal and LGBTQ+ accepting.
Uh that poster has nothing to do with transgenderism. In fact I bet some very stupid hyper-woke Tumblr types would call it transphobic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »

snip

snip

Hell BRTD--- , even if you aren't a fan of Slayer, let alone Anthrax (My wife would leave me in a heartbeat to hang out with Scott Ian if she could hang out and have a few drinks on the tour bus---- non-sexual but still I would be bummed out), there are so many awesome artists on the list....

You are a Punk Rock fan, and you wouldn't want to watch the Descandents and Anti-Flag, among many other artists because of some grudge against "Heavy Metal Fans in Hish School?".....

Descendants---- "Milo Goes to College" was an extremely influential album from back in '82 from a SoCal Harcore Punk Band, which I still have a cassette tape of floating around somewhere....

Anti-Flag---- Basically started in the Mid '90s in Pittsburgh PA as a "Peace Punk" band at a time where the Punk movement as we knew it was starting to turn into a bunch of sell-outs.

Good chance there will be a "Peace Punk" Mosh Pit, but w/o stage-diving and the types of culture you described at various metal gigs growing up over the years.

Go BRTD go..... swallow your musical purity, go to the gig and maybe just maybe at least watch the Thrax as part of your musical rehabilitation therapy....   Wink

Those two I wouldnt mind seeing but aren't even close to the main ones I'd like to.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 10:42:06 PM »

snip

snip

Those two I wouldnt mind seeing but aren't even close to the main ones I'd like to.

However the speed-metal / thrash metal sound overlaps with some of the SoCal sound....

Suicidal Tendencies would be another SoCal band with that type of sound (Although they won't be at the show).

Now you have already violated your political purity test by driving through or crossing through a county that voted for DJT (I live in County that voted Trump 60+ % in '16), which you swore you wouldn't do after the '16 Pres Election.

Why not cross over and go to a music gig, even if you have to pay $149 for the three day pass, plus lodging, food costs and gas $$$ ?

(If we were to win the lottery for a $5k payout, you have already sold us on the gig.... Wink  )

I haven't been able to to figure out who is playing on what night from their website, but there are so many bands, I am assuming there are multiple stages in this Chi-Town venue....

Pick the ones you want and disregard the rest....

Man, I got slammed into a few lockers in Middle School and High School, had my share of bullying during that time, and not all of them were wearing Heavy Metal Band T-shirts.....

I would suggest at least checking out Anthrax if you are going to do a metal foray, 

https://metalinjection.net/politics/anthraxs-scott-ian-backs-bernie-sanders-thinks-donald-trump-is-a-joke

We don't all live in the Ghettos of "Subvert City", and sometimes it helps to mix it up a bit and hang out with what is likely going to be a heavily Middle-aged audience for the Thrax show (Not sure if it's assigned seating or first come first serve), combined with Millennial youth bouncing around in the 'pits.

Hang out in the watering holes in the venue before and after the show with folks, bone up on the classic songs that are most likely to be played, buy a few CD's for the road trip for various bands, and you will be pleasantly surprised to explore the diversity of the Heavy Metal fan base....

Go to the gig!!!!!

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »

What you should do is try listening to music that isn't edgy tryhard hogwash. That whole lineup is just dreadful.

(By the way: nice to be back to complaining about your taste in music again. For once, it's all meant in fun. Wink )
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 02:27:59 AM »

Riot fest sucks anyway
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »

Pennywise is good because NHL teams used one of their songs for a while.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2024, 01:44:01 PM »

It's happening again! Just 5 years later! GRRRRRR

(Also I did not attend that year, but the main reason was that my ex broke up with me and thus I did not have an easy place to stay there which was one draw, and thus I also didn't feel like going to Chicago at all that year.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2024, 06:51:46 PM »

Go out and have fun.  Life is too short to worry about things like your musical "purity."

This. Never been a fan of Slayer, but it's one band on a bill of literally dozens
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2024, 10:40:01 PM »

You should go because Slayer is playing.
Are you going this year?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies