Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:15:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Should I go to Riot Fest even though Slayer is playing?  (Read 1294 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:01:41 AM »

So basically so much of this looks awesome. Blink 182 playing Enema of the State! Taking Back Sunday playing Tell All Your Friends! The Get Up Kids! And oh my God JAWBREAKER!

But Slayer is also playing. If I go I'll see Slayer. I'll see a very influential METAL BAND. F[INKS]ING METAL.

That's harem to me. It'd feel unpure.

Should I go for the rest or retain purity?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 12:03:34 AM »

Instead of answering your question I chose instead to answer the question "should BRTD have made this thread?"

answered no btw
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 12:10:45 AM »

NO

and this

Instead of answering your question I chose instead to answer the question "should BRTD have made this thread?"

answered no btw
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:47 AM »

answered no btw
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 01:31:07 AM »

Go out and have fun.  Life is too short to worry about things like your musical "purity."
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 07:29:46 AM »

I think it would be pretty cool to see this live, but if you don't, you could always leave when Slayer performs:

On the other hand, any festival that would invite Gwar may be worth skipping.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »

the billling is weird to me in places...Anthrax on line 5, Pennywise on 4...I guess those are the two I found the most weird.  If Slayer is second billed, how the hell do they put Anthrax at the end of the 4th line?  So weird.

Also, GWAR!  but Oderus is dead, is it just a thing now?  Like a trope, and they just hire people as needed to fill roles.  Are they writing new material or just doing the classics?  I'm not sure I'd want to see them now, like seeing the Beatles without Paul or The Who without Pete.

Some good bands there, enjoy it BRTD.....also a ton of bands I've never heard of, which is always the case with these kinds of shows I suppose.  "Hooray My Parents are Here!" caught my eye, but the only thing that turns up when Googling is this event. Smiley
James Monroe

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »

Never heard of them. I think there's about only three artists in that lineup that I've heard music from. Just go to whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »

Slayer is awesome, I don't get your hatred for metal.

Also as an aside, I wish I could go to this Sad
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »

You should probably go and only see Slayer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »

I think it would be pretty cool to see this live, but if you don't, you could always leave when Slayer performs:

On the other hand, any festival that would invite Gwar may be worth skipping.

You think it'd be cool to see that? Didn't you hate Dude Fest music and say it was just like noise?

How the hell is this on late night TV? They'd never show anything like this!

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2019, 12:42:09 PM by The love that set me free »

TL;DR summary is that some metalheads were rude to me in high school and made fun of the "socially conscious" proto-SJW politics of the bands I like and bands that cried on stage.

No metal bands would do something like this:

In 2007, a Different Kind of Dude Fest (DKDF) came together for a two-day punk festival in Washington, DC. The event was meant as a chance to challenge ideas of dominant masculinity, both within the punk community and in society at large. The Dude Fest was about guys dealing with, instead of blaming, each other for problems such as harassment in the pit and on the street.
"As guys, the festival web site statement comments, "we have a lot of limits on how we behave, what we feel and who we connect with. What if we came together to talk honestly about these gender expectations and punk?"
To explore this question, DKDF featured a lineup of more than ten bands aswell as workshops on masculinity, community, and how to be responsible feminist allies. Proceeds from the show went to support HIPS (Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive), a group that helps female, male, and transgender sex workers in DC lead healthy lives.

And of course no metal band would hand out this poster at their shows:

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »

You should go because Slayer is playing.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »

TL;DR summary is that some metalheads were rude to me in high school and made fun of the "socially conscious" proto-SJW politics of the bands I like and bands that cried on stage.

This is incredibly petty and bizarre. if a black kid was mean to you in high school would you be a white supremacist today?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »

This is incredibly petty and bizarre. if a black kid was mean to you in high school would you be a white supremacist today?
I don't like metal music either though.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »

That doesn't answer the question.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »

That doesn't answer the question.

No, but race isn't comparable to music taste.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »

In 2007, a Different Kind of Dude Fest (DKDF) came together for a two-day punk festival in Washington, DC. The event was meant as a chance to challenge ideas of dominant masculinity, both within the punk community and in society at large. The Dude Fest was about guys dealing with, instead of blaming, each other for problems such as harassment in the pit and on the street.
"As guys, the festival web site statement comments, "we have a lot of limits on how we behave, what we feel and who we connect with. What if we came together to talk honestly about these gender expectations and punk?".... snip.....

So, let me ask you this question.... how do you define heavy metal and how far does your "Metal Purity Test" go?

I grew up a Gen-Ex in the High School in the Late '80s listening to Punk, Metal, as well as many other musical genres such as Hip-Hop, "Classic Rock", Folk, etc....

Would you go to a Black Sabbath gig if you had the funds?

Would you go to an Iron Maiden gig if you had the funds?

Would you go to a Metallica gig if you had the funds?

Would you go to an Anthrax gig if you had the funds?

Now since you are from Minneapolis and well acquainted with the old Maximum Rock N' Roll Zine, and are extremely fluent and interested in a variety of musical genres and subcultures...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximumrocknroll

The Punk scene of the late '80s / early '90s frequently involved Nights at local clubs (Many allowing underage attendees after getting patted down by cops and bouncers for contraband), and would involve a range of musical styles, with thrash-metal bands combined with punker bands, combined with and frequently was a $3 (Three Bands) or $5 (Five bands) type format....

The underground musical culture of the mid to late '80s in that hybrid Punk-Metal scene was inherently a rebellion from the Gen-X working-class communities that had been decimated by several decades of austerity policy, most dramatically represented in the form of President Reagan.

I introduced HS friends to punk rock bands they introduced me to metal bands etc regardless of whatever "click" or "set" you hung out with in the smoking areas on campus.

We smoked out of the same bongs (Frequently supplied by Oregon herb grown indoors or outdoors by laid off loggers and mill-workers), hung out at our friends regardless of if they grew up in a single-parent household or dual-parent household and helped reaffirm (at least in the Pac-NW) the continuity of the "Hippy-Redneck" dual culture of the '70s.

Regarding the culture of the mosh pit:

This was a major item of conversation from the first time I went into a mosh pit when I was 15, where you quickly got the DL from older vets of the pit about basic protocol such as:

1.) Not raising your elbows above a certain height (People can get hurt bad)

2.) Spiked rings on your fingers (People can get hurt)

3.) Be aware of your surroundings even if you are stoned or have been drinking 40s in the Alley or some shots of a flask when you are moshing (People can get hurt).

4.) Act as a collective if you see someone in the mosh-pit who seems like they are "out of control". Clear a space for them in the pit and link a few arms to people who are unaware (don't accidentally get hurt bad)

5.) In HS, especially if there are younger folks and gals not familiar with a pit (first time to a gig), ensure that we're making sure everyone has a good time, and folks new to the scene (don't accidentally get hurt bad)

6.) Whenever in doubt in a crowded pit "Do the Pogo"..... Hell you can enjoy a gig get some energy out without hardly making any physical contact in a pit...

Maybe that was just a "Peace Punk" ethos, but bottom line we didn't want anyone getting hurt, the venue getting shut down, and wanted to all have a good time chilling with The Subhumans, Conflict, Oi Polloi, or whatever....

Drunk Punk scene, maybe slightly different.

Thrash Metal scene..... I associate the late '80s / early '90s more with skateboarding halfpipe competitions and all that, although Slayer and Thrax were certainly popular among many non skaters.

Go the show.......

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »

It sounds slightly less bad than that Dude Fest thing you used to rabbit on about that I was always afraid to google to find out what it was.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 11:07:10 PM »

If you gave me five years to think, I'd never be able to think of a single song by a single band on that list.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 05:32:25 AM »

If you gave me five years to think, I'd never be able to think of a single song by a single band on that list.
unless you live under a rock you've certainly heard songs by Blink 182, Violent Femmes, B52s and Rancid.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 07:56:35 PM »

unless you live under a rock you've certainly heard songs by Blink 182, Violent Femmes, B52s and Rancid.

I only have heard of two of those bands... can't imagine I'd be able to name a song by any of them.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »

Slayer will almost certainly play in the final timeslot (ending at 10 PM) and perhaps against another headliner, so worse case scenario you could leave the fest early and go and recharge/pregame for an aftershow.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »

You think it'd be cool to see that? Didn't you hate Dude Fest music and say it was just like noise?

How the hell is this on late night TV? They'd never show anything like this!

1. No, I don't think I've ever heard any "Dude Fest" music before.

2. Slayer is one of the "Big 4" thrash metal bands, so I guess Fallon booked them for ratings. I agree it does seem odd that they'd be on late night TV though. They did play one of their signature songs.

snip

And of course no metal band would hand out this poster at their shows:

snip

Lots of metal bands, especially the famous ones, are left-wing. Those losers who were rude to you in high school are not representative of metal bands or metal fans. The idea that "no metal band" would support trans equality is not even close to being correct, and I don't mean just one random exception. Judas Priest in particular comes to mind as being liberal and LGBTQ+ accepting.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »

Any chance to keep BRTD out of muh Chi-town will be gladly taken. Voted no.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies