PRRI study: Increasing Support for Religiously Based Service Refusals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:40:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PRRI study: Increasing Support for Religiously Based Service Refusals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PRRI study: Increasing Support for Religiously Based Service Refusals  (Read 629 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »

... and not 'just' for sexual minorities. A quarter of white American protestants are now comfortable with denying service to Jews and African-Americans based on religious beliefs, and ~30% for atheists. Let it be a lesson to the Whig historians among us - this is unquestionably an age of reaction, and without vigorous defense of everyone's civil rights, we will all lose our own.

https://www.prri.org/research/increasing-support-for-religiously-based-service-refusals/

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »

I protest when people claim that their "religious beliefs" are being violated when what is going on is that the government disagrees with the moral beliefs of the claimant. Religion and morals are two different things. Even atheists and agnostics have moral beliefs. Morals are a set of beliefs about how people should behave while they are alive. Religion is a set of beliefs about -- among other things -- what is going to happen to your "soul" after you die if you don't behave that way. Religious beliefs are protected by the Constitution; moral beliefs are not.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »

God forbid you deny service to someone with a racist MAGA hat on but the minorities are ok? Not surprised.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

God forbid you deny service to someone with a racist MAGA hat on but the minorities are ok? Not surprised.

Lol, I don't support any of the bullshlt in that poll, but you think refusing service to someone for WEARING A HAT is a normal, enlightened thing to do?!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »

Lol, I don't support any of the bullshlt in that poll, but you think refusing service to someone for WEARING A HAT is a normal, enlightened thing to do?!

No, I wouldn't deny service or support it, I'm just saying if they want to deny service for other stupid things they can't get mad when it happens to them for equally stupid things.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 12:24:44 PM »

There is a moral difference between refusing to associate with people of a certain race and refusing to associate with people with a non-inherent ideology typically associated with ignorance and bigotry. Whether this latter decision is 'normal' or 'enlightened' depends on the circumstance, but it is absolutely incomparable with the former.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »

No, I wouldn't deny service or support it, I'm just saying if they want to deny service for other stupid things they can't get mad when it happens to them for equally stupid things.

What is the effect of being gay AND wearing a MAGA hat .... or wearing an IUD AND a MAGA hat? Though to me, that's kind of overkill.
Hollywood
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »

There is a moral difference between refusing to associate with people of a certain race and refusing to associate with people with a non-inherent ideology typically associated with ignorance and bigotry. Whether this latter decision is 'normal' or 'enlightened' depends on the circumstance, but it is absolutely incomparable with the former.

It's incomparable to the people being refused service.  The people that wear MAGA hats are usually characterized as white racists, so in their minds, they justifiably believe they are being denied services due to their race, culture and politics. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »

I think religious people who wish to deny services to various classes of people should be identified by a mark shaped like an X or a cross on their right hand.  That way we know who to avoid.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:58 PM »

What is the effect of being gay AND wearing a MAGA hat .... or wearing an IUD AND a MAGA hat? Though to me, that's kind of overkill.

It's true they both are effective forms of birth control.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »

Even on Atlas, the jump to assume anyone with that hat is ignorant or a bigot is absurd, and you'd be abandoning the very moral high ground you initially claimed by NOT being "like them."
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »

Even on Atlas, the jump to assume anyone with that hat is ignorant or a bigot is absurd, and you'd be abandoning the very moral high ground you initially claimed by NOT being "like them."

I suppose you are right in that there is a third option, that they are wearing the hat ironically. However, I do not think that sort of joke is funny and so still would not associate with such a person.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 07:17:11 PM »

As long as "Spirit In the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum remains the supposed most requested funeral song ever, I have no real reaction to this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 07:26:18 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2019, 09:49:09 PM by pbrower2a »

Support for religious-based decisions to not serve a customer based upon sexual identity is still much less than a majority.

Obviously a business owner-operator has the right to refuse to do something blatantly offensive or that would get me in legal trouble. So I imagine myself as the owner of a cake shop. Problems with licensing or copyright? If I have a license to do Warner Brothers characters such as Daffy Duck but not Disney characters such as Donald Duck, then I had better not put an image of Donald Duck on a birthday cake. That is not a matter of offense -- that is a matter of avoiding a lawsuit that could cause me to lose everything that I have.

OK, so someone asks me to make a cake resembling a tombstone on which is inscribed

(name of defaulting debtor)

1977-2019

He didn't pay up

He's asleep with the fishies

No.

A sex act?

Of course not.

Celebrating a pedophile relationship?

Absolutely not!

"Happy birthday, Adolf!" on April 20, complete with a swastika?

No.

Congratulations, Senator Snake (and I voted for the other guy)?

Sure. It's only business.

Congratulations, Dodgers -- on beating the Yankees -- and I am a Yankees fan

(assuming that I have the right to use the MLB trademarks)...

Business is business.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »

Probably because of the vindictive, sore winners suing bakers rather than just shopping at a better bakery like normal people.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 08:15:49 PM »

Probably because of the vindictive, sore winners suing bakers rather than just shopping at a better bakery like normal people.

If you let such a situation slide, you can end up with a situation in which there is no 'better bakery', as there was in much of the South in the past.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »

If you let such a situation slide, you can end up with a situation in which there is no 'better bakery', as there was in much of the South in the past.

But that won't be likely to happen in 2019.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »

But that won't be likely to happen in 2019.

Absolutely, thanks to laws which allow legal action against such discrimination. In the absence of such laws, as we've just learned, there is a shockingly vast proportion of the country ready to recreate that situation.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:31 PM »

So much for that "America is becoming more liberal" rhetoric.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »

Were not talking about 30% issues becoming 50% issues. Were talking about 10% issues become 30% which doesn't meant the US is becoming more conservative just that the Republican Party is shifting to the right about as fast as Democrats are shifting to the left. Maybe the saving grace will be that there will be so little overlap left, there will be room for a third party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies