SCOTUS: Outcome of Carpenter v. Murphy (Creek Nation case)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS: Outcome of Carpenter v. Murphy (Creek Nation case)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick the case outcome (and deadlock/no deadlock) and writer of majority opinion
Creek Nation disestablished

Creek Nation not disestablished

Case deadlocks

Case doesn’t deadlock

Roberts

Thomas

Ginsburg

Breyer

Alito

Sotomayor

Kagan

Kavanaugh

Per curiam

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 3

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: SCOTUS: Outcome of Carpenter v. Murphy (Creek Nation case)  (Read 592 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
« edited: June 26, 2019, 11:03:05 AM by ERM64man »

Gorsuch is recused because he heard the case on the 10th Circuit. What will the outcome be (Creek Nation disestablished or not)? Will the case deadlock? Who writes the majority opinion? A deadlock automatically means the reservation wasn’t disestablished due to the 10th Circuit’s ruling. Notice the number of opinions in the December sitting, when the case was argued.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 06:24:34 PM »

I don’t think this will deadlock. To me it seems like a relatively straight forward case; I’m thinking that the reservation(s) will stand as they did before 1907. Poor showing by congress of that time. They forgot to cross their t’s and dot their i’s *and* j’s.

No idea who will write it though.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »

I don’t think this will deadlock. To me it seems like a relatively straight forward case; I’m thinking that the reservation(s) will stand as they did before 1907. Poor showing by congress of that time. They forgot to cross their t’s and dot their i’s *and* j’s.

No idea who will write it though.
Roberts, Alito, and Kavanaugh seem to believe it was disestablished; if you examine their comments when it was argued. Thomas was silent as usual, but he generally opposes tribal sovereignty. This makes me think there will be a deadlock. The court tries to spread opinions fairly evenly. Every justice has one opinion from that sitting. I expect a per curiam opinion, which is especially common when cases deadlock or become moot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies