Have you ever noticed that the Democrats...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:59:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Have you ever noticed that the Democrats...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Have you ever noticed that the Democrats...  (Read 1764 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »

... will passionately defend every minority or special interest with zeal, but have little passion for anything else? Like, if you're gay, black, illegal, woman (not a minority but still a separate identity), a Felon, trans, make under minimum wage, have a preexisting condition etc. etc. the Democrats will go all out for you and your difference. But for the regular stiff who just works hard, gets married, has kids, has a normal life, the Democrats don't say sh**t. Have you ever noticed that? Like Trump he'll talk about the low unemployment rate & focus more on things that affect *every* voting American. It's more unifying and inclusive. I think that's why he holds his own even though GOP positions are unpopular.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »

... will passionately defend every minority or special interest with zeal, but have little passion for anything else? Like, if you're gay, black, illegal, woman (not a minority but still a separate identity), a Felon, trans, make under minimum wage, have a preexisting condition etc. etc. the Democrats will go all out for you and your difference. But for the regular stiff who just works hard, gets married, has kids, has a normal life, the Democrats don't say sh**t. Have you ever noticed that? Like Trump he'll talk about the low unemployment rate & focus more on things that affect *every* voting American. It's more unifying and inclusive. I think that's why he holds his own even though GOP positions are unpopular.

Cool story bro.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:14:29 PM »

No
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:22:28 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2019, 10:26:28 PM by Snowguy716 »

Beet... this was bad.  And you've written some legit good stuff lately.

Focusing on poverty, the environment, infrastructure, equality and fairness and justice for all.. these are all things that affect every voting American.

Your post was borderline Naso.  Yuck.

Oh and which party is proposing paid family leave?  Higher minimum wages?  Rights to organize and bargain for better wages and benefits?  More vacation/leisure time?  Mass transit?  Public funding of the arts and outdoors so artists and outdoors enthusiasts with limited means can create/do what they are passionate about?

Who promotes subsidies to prop up family farmers and thus our smaller towns?  Organic agriculture which is LESS EFFICIENT and thus takes more labor and contributes to many farmers who would otherwise leave the profession?

Please Beet... you have deluded yourself.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »

Wait, are Andrew Yang and Julian Castro Republicans or Democrats?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 10:42:33 PM »

Beet... this was bad.  And you've written some legit good stuff lately.

Focusing on poverty, the environment, infrastructure, equality and fairness and justice for all.. these are all things that affect every voting American.

Your post was borderline Naso.  Yuck.

Oh and which party is proposing paid family leave?  Higher minimum wages?  Rights to organize and bargain for better wages and benefits?  More vacation/leisure time?  Mass transit?  Public funding of the arts and outdoors so artists and outdoors enthusiasts with limited means can create/do what they are passionate about?

Who promotes subsidies to prop up family farmers and thus our smaller towns?  Organic agriculture which is LESS EFFICIENT and thus takes more labor and contributes to many farmers who would otherwise leave the profession?

Please Beet... you have deluded yourself.

The Democrats' substance is a winner. Their issue positions I agree with for the most part. However, the rhetoric is always moralistically pandering to some marginalized slice of the population... and sometimes not even Americans. If you are just an average Joe or Jane with no special identities and are just listening to the rhetoric, sometimes it can be hard to see what's in it for you. It's true they aren't like that 100% of the time but with the Twitter activists especially it's probably like 80% of the time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »

The Democrats' substance is a winner. Their issue positions I agree with for the most part. However, the rhetoric is always moralistically pandering to some marginalized slice of the population... and sometimes not even Americans. If you are just an average Joe or Jane with no special identities and are just listening to the rhetoric, sometimes it can be hard to see what's in it for you. It's true they aren't like that 100% of the time but with the Twitter activists especially it's probably like 80% of the time.

Who gives a f--- about "Twitter activists" ? Haven't the results of 2020 Democratic polls completely discredited the idea that "Twitter activists" (and who even knows which of them are real, vs. bots, trolls, or agent provocateurs) make up a significant percentage of the party?
UncleSam

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »

Beet is like a million miles ahead of all the red avatars here and it’s honestly pathetic how purile the reactions above are rofl

Literally the only reason Trump won in 2016 or has a shadow of a chance in 2020 is because most Democrats are just toxic to engage on any level due to their incessant need to remind you what an awful person you are if you don’t agree with them on literally everything. The vast majority of people both do not want Trump of all people to be president and also don’t support the majority of his policies. They just hate the toxicicity of moralism that is the modern day Democratic Party more.

On the vast majority of issues Dems win. Newsflash: why else do they lose so many elections if most of their policy proposals are winners?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 11:19:24 PM »

Beet, I really do respect you and I get what you were going for, but as the kids say, that ain't it. One of, if not the only reason Trump even got power in the first place is that he divided the country so effectively (immigrants vs. WWC). I know you may point to his constant reminders of minority unemployment numbers and such, but this is the same guy who made those disgusting comments about Charlottesville. Meanwhile Democrats, cliche or not, always talk about their policies in the context of every American, and the truth of the matter is a lot of those policies DO help the general populace.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 11:25:00 PM »

Beet is like a million miles ahead of all the red avatars here and it’s honestly pathetic how purile the reactions above are rofl

Literally the only reason Trump won in 2016 or has a shadow of a chance in 2020 is because most Democrats are just toxic to engage on any level due to their incessant need to remind you what an awful person you are if you don’t agree with them on literally everything. The vast majority of people both do not want Trump of all people to be president and also don’t support the majority of his policies. They just hate the toxicicity of moralism that is the modern day Democratic Party more.

On the vast majority of issues Dems win. Newsflash: why else do they lose so many elections if most of their policy proposals are winners?

Last I checked, the Democratic Party is eight points ahead of the Republican party in favorability, won 53% of the vote in the last House elections, 58% in the last Senate elections, 50% in the last gubernatorial elections, and 48% in the last Presidential election.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 12:19:08 AM »

Beet wants to get his "worst poster on Atlas" spot back by the looks of things because this post reads as whining because "oh no the people who most need it are being given a voice"
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 12:26:26 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2019, 12:29:35 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

This is certainly a real issue and something to be concerned about. Of course, irony of ironies, the person bringing this up has a Liz Warren signature - the candidate most committed to slicing and dicing the electorate into tiny bits that are then won over by highly-specific policies, the very problem decried by the thread!
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 02:32:00 AM »

Beet wants to get his "worst poster on Atlas" spot back by the looks of things because this post reads as whining because "oh no the people who most need it are being given a voice"

"A" voice, alright: one put into their mouths much like a ventriloquist. There's a reason the "woke" left are mockingly called NPCs.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »

If union workers aren't the "average working stiffs," I don't know who is.

The ACA is for everyone. Medicare for all is going to be most beneficial to the working class who currently have to have insurance but have such high deductibles that they might as well be uninsured. Julián Castro is focusing on housing prices, which again, is a huge issue for the working class. Infrastructure and climate change is for everyone, but the negative effects will impact (and are impacting) the working class already. I could go on and on.

As for "defending," I grew up working class. I was a WIC kid, went to Head Start, and I was a first generation college student who made use of the Pell Grant. I don't "defend" the working class here because there's so much entitlement and elitism that it's just not worth it in many cases. But you better believe my experiences and connections influence my political decisions.

In addition, I'm not going to stand up for people who are blinded by hatred. My hometown newspaper skews extremely to the right. Another newspaper republishes anti-Muslim propaganda. Many folks are completely under the spell of FOX's lies. I'm not going to defend that. I understand how it happens but that doesn't make their hatred excusable. In addition, they believe any politician who spouts the same lies and then believe that said politician's policies must be the best, even when those policies go directly against their best interests. I won't defend that. They have their right to their opinions, which I will fight for, but I have no sympathy for believing and propogating lies.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 06:09:39 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2019, 06:18:30 AM by The Voice of America »

The ACA is for everyone. Medicare for all is going to be most beneficial to the working class who currently have to have insurance but have such high deductibles that they might as well be uninsured. Julián Castro is focusing on housing prices, which again, is a huge issue for the working class. Infrastructure and climate change is for everyone, but the negative effects will impact (and are impacting) the working class already. I could go on and on.

As for "defending," I grew up working class. I was a WIC kid, went to Head Start, and I was a first generation college student who made use of the Pell Grant. I don't "defend" the working class here because there's so much entitlement and elitism that it's just not worth it in many cases. But you better believe my experiences and connections influence my political decisions.

In addition, I'm not going to stand up for people who are blinded by hatred. My hometown newspaper skews extremely to the right. Another newspaper republishes anti-Muslim propaganda. Many folks are completely under the spell of FOX's lies. I'm not going to defend that. I understand how it happens but that doesn't make their hatred excusable. In addition, they believe any politician who spouts the same lies and then believe that said politician's policies must be the best, even when those policies go directly against their best interests. I won't defend that. They have their right to their opinions, which I will fight for, but I have no sympathy for believing and propogating lies.

I think the Democrats make an error when discussing "working class" and "middle class" people. When they talk about them, and you actually listen, they're not talking about working class people who make 30, 40, 50K a year. That's what I make, and I'm far and away no where NEAR "rich". Married couples with a combined annual income of 100K a year, I know many and they still will say, "I have to wait until Friday, I only have x-amount left in the bank". They're not "rich" either. When democrats discuss these things, they're talking about people below the poverty line. In my state the federal poverty guidelines are around 17K a year. I know people broke as a joke and don't have a pot to piss in and even they still exceed the federal or state poverty lines. So when democrats discuss "working class" people, they may actually be referring to poor people. Like East Cleveland poor. Really, really poor.

I also think when they refer to "the rich", that may include many Americans who are technically "middle class". If you and your spouse have a combined annual income of 105K a year, I'll bet that liberals would not even consider you "middle class". They are. That could hurt their argument among actual "middle class" people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 06:11:24 AM »

Who promotes subsidies to prop up family farmers and thus our smaller towns?
to be fair both parties subsidize rich dudes living in cities (where most of the farm subsidy money goes) and say it's to help small farmers/towns
Organic agriculture which is LESS EFFICIENT and thus takes more labor and contributes to many farmers who would otherwise leave the profession?
how is helping a tiny fraction of people by making food more expensive for everyone else a good thing?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 06:28:47 AM »

The vast majority of workers (>80%) are nonunion so I'd argue union membership is another minority identity.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »

Why would this "working stiff" prototype need defending if his life is perfectly normal? If anything this prototype usually wants to be left alone and hates the government. With that said, without Democratic policies the "working stiff" wouldn't have job, his children wouldn't get a decent education and he might not even have health care to stay healthy enough to keep working. The better question is why do Republicans have an issue with everyone who doesn't fit a certain prototype. The Republican Party has become a cult that subscribes to the idea that only some Americans should have opportunities.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »

No, I can't say I have.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »

Why would this "working stiff" prototype need defending if his life is perfectly normal? If anything this prototype usually wants to be left alone and hates the government. With that said, without Democratic policies the "working stiff" wouldn't have job, his children wouldn't get a decent education and he might not even have health care to stay healthy enough to keep working. The better question is why do Republicans have an issue with everyone who doesn't fit a certain prototype. The Republican Party has become a cult that subscribes to the idea that only some Americans should have opportunities.

Because a perfectly normal life is hard going (that you would even see fit to ask that question is baffling). Doubly so if you are unfortunate to be in a major metropolitan area where the cost of living is sky-high. A big reason why people ridicule the sanctimony of Democrats acting like they are valiant defenders of the masses: look at how little they have done to deal with the fact that places like the Bay Area are rapidly becoming totally unlivable.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 11:15:13 AM »

Because a perfectly normal life is hard going (that you would even see fit to ask that question is baffling). Doubly so if you are unfortunate to be in a major metropolitan area where the cost of living is sky-high. A big reason why people ridicule the sanctimony of Democrats acting like they are valiant defenders of the masses: look at how little they have done to deal with the fact that places like the Bay Area are rapidly becoming totally unlivable.

"That restaurant is so overcrowded nobody goes there anymore."  Yogi Bera
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »

Of course. It's all based on victim status and how high your victim points are.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »

I'm curious to hear from the people agreeing with Beet's shtick, if Democrats are only in this to virtue signal to minorities and "victims," why am I, at lest a somewhat rational self-interested white male living a pretty nice privileged life, a Democrat? Why has the Republican party failed so hard at winning my support when I would, under this philosophy, seem like a pretty low-hanging fruit for them?
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »

Beet, it truly is amazing how you've actively avoided learning how to produce a quality post in all the nearly ten years I've known you.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies