Criminal Lori Lightfoot says Chicago won't cooperate with ICE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:46:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Criminal Lori Lightfoot says Chicago won't cooperate with ICE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Criminal Lori Lightfoot says Chicago won't cooperate with ICE  (Read 2732 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:30:39 PM »

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-says-city-wont-cooperate-with-reported-ice-raids-511649612.html

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot issued a statement Friday condemning a reported plan by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement to conduct raids over the weekend, saying that the city is taking “concrete steps” to support immigrant communities.

According to a statement issued by Lightfoot’s office, the mayor has directed Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to terminate ICE’s access to CPD databases related to immigration enforcement activities, and issued a strong objection to the reported raids.

Here is the mayor’s statement in full:

“We are all aware of the threat from President Trump regarding raids by ICE, and in response, Chicago has taken concrete steps to support our immigrant communities. I have directed – and Superintendent Johnson has confirmed – that CPD has terminated ICE’s access to CPD’s databases related to federal immigration enforcement activities. I have personally spoken to ICE leadership in Chicago and voiced my strong objection to any such raids. Further, I reiterated that CPD will not cooperate with or facilitate any ICE enforcement actions. Chicago will always be a welcoming city and a champion for the rights of our immigrant and refugee communities, and I encourage any resident in need of legal aid to contact the National Immigrant Justice Center.”

Absolutely despicable. This should be illegal.

Does this clown not realize the difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants? How TF is this legal? Ashamed of my city right now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:10:28 AM »

Disgusting.

What if some of the hiding illegal (criminals) are becoming violent and refuse to be deported, potentially threatening the brave ICE officers and no backup available from the Chicago police ?

Lori Lightfoot may be Chicago mayor, but she's not above the law of the country.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »

It's legal because the Federal government cannot require State or local officials to enforce Federal law.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:14:55 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2019, 12:32:27 AM by Gass3268 »

The state government is doing awesome work too!

Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 12:16:38 AM »

Freedom Fighter
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 12:17:00 AM »

It's legal because the Federal government cannot require State or local officials to enforce Federal law.

It still has bad optics, because it seems Lightfoot & Co. are putting the rejected (criminal) asylum seekers and other illegal immigrants above the people she represents as mayor and the voters in general.

These decisions often come from politicians and people (college students and young people who have mostly never worked for a penny in their lives yet or who live off their parents' money) and who have no clue what it means to be on the "frontlines", like the brave police officers and ICE officers of America ...

With their actions and support, they endanger the daily work of the American law enforcement officers.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 12:26:20 AM »

With that logic the red states should be able to have full abortion bans without any trouble.

State officials still have to obey the Constitution. They do not, however, have to do federal officials’ jobs for them.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »

Hell yeah!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 12:32:21 AM »

With that logic the red states should be able to have full abortion bans without any trouble.

The Constitution trumps any Federal or State law.

It still has bad optics, because it seems Lightfoot & Co. are putting the rejected (criminal) asylum seekers and other illegal immigrants above the people she represents as mayor and the voters in general.

These decisions often come from politicians and people (college students and young people who have mostly never worked for a penny in their lives yet or who live off their parents' money) and who have no clue what it means to be on the "frontlines", like the brave police officers and ICE officers of America ...

With their actions and support, they endanger the daily work of the American law enforcement officers.

Perhaps it's different in crime-ridden Austria, but over here local police often don't favor being dragooned into doing immigration as it often makes immigrant communities less likely to trust the police, even if they are here legally.  If the only crime these rejected asylum seekers have violated is staying here illegally, then local cops have little incentive to track them down.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 12:34:25 AM »

I never said it was illegal, only that it should be illegal.

Can you people explain to me why you support this? They are doing their job and enforcing the law and you don't want that?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 12:37:46 AM »

Perhaps it's different in crime-ridden Austria, but over here local police often don't favor being dragooned into doing immigration as it often makes immigrant communities less likely to trust the police, even if they are here legally.  If the only crime these rejected asylum seekers have violated is staying here illegally, then local cops have little incentive to track them down.

We are not crime-ridden, but have roughly the same problems as in the US with the usual suspects from the ultra-left favouring the criminals to stay because "open borders", "humanity" etc. and therefore threatening more Austrian/US families. And from what I know, our "ICE" usually do not act alone and show up early in the morning with local police to deport the people with negative requests. It is the better option, because the police officers have better equipment in case they resist and get violent.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »

They should have a much greater incentive then they have now. And if immigrant communities wan't to dislike police forces for upholding the law then let them, no one is preventing them from being so ignorant and stubborn.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 12:50:20 AM »

Massive FF move. I want my undocumented friends and neighbors being protected by the government, not persecuted by it.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 12:54:46 AM »

Massive FF move. I want my undocumented friends and neighbors being protected by the government, not persecuted by it.

They aren't supposed to be here, it's illegal.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 12:57:16 AM »

Blindly following the law without regards to humanity or morality is the sign of a weak, pathetic man.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »

It's only a misdemeanor, it's like a parking ticket.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 01:01:58 AM »

Blindly following the law without regards to humanity or morality is the sign of a weak, pathetic man.

I have no moral obligations to removing these people. It makes me personally happy to see these freeloaders get kicked out back to where they came from.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:45 AM »

I have no moral obligations to removing these people.

That's a pretty damning indictment of your morals.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 01:07:52 AM »

Does this affect, for example, ICE's efforts in busting human trafficking rings?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 02:03:33 AM »

We are not crime-ridden, but have roughly the same problems as in the US with the usual suspects from the ultra-left favouring the criminals to stay because "open borders", "humanity" etc. and therefore threatening more Austrian/US families. And from what I know, our "ICE" usually do not act alone and show up early in the morning with local police to deport the people with negative requests. It is the better option, because the police officers have better equipment in case they resist and get violent.

Then why do you get so worked up about it that you have a thread to talk about nothing but that?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 05:58:15 AM »

I'm not familiar with people in this country supporting keeping violent criminals in this country (yes, I differentiate between violent criminals and others). I do not support deportation for a parking ticket. It's well-known that ICE agents are present in courtrooms across the US. Immigration law is a federal prerogative and the states have no obligation to enforce it. It's no different than marijuana laws. While many states have legalized it for recreational and medicinal purposes, federal law is absolute in its prohibition and has rather strict penalties for violations.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 06:12:07 AM »

first time this has been said about Ilinios ever
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 07:48:27 AM »

I don’t know man, there’s a first time for everything right? They have actually been on a roll! I mean, still there is some ed up sh**t in self dealings as always but they are actually getting things done for once.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »

I think it's fair to say Pritzker has surprised most people. Tongue
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »

Absolutely despicable. This should be illegal.

Does this clown not realize the difference between immigrants and illegal immigrants? How TF is this legal? Ashamed of my city right now.

I like how you call her a criminal in the thread title, and then make it clear twice that she did nothing illegal. Maybe if you're concerned about criminal wrongdoing, you should call the police.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies