ICE to begin mass arrests and deportations across major U.S cities starting Sun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ICE to begin mass arrests and deportations across major U.S cities starting Sun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: ICE to begin mass arrests and deportations across major U.S cities starting Sun  (Read 3415 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/ice-raids-targeting-migrant-families-slated-to-start-sunday-in-major-us-cities/2019/06/21/f2936318-942e-11e9-b570-6416efdc0803_story.html?utm_term=.17d7dd82aafc

President Trump has directed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to conduct a mass roundup of migrant families that have received deportation orders, an operation that is likely to begin with predawn raids in major U.S. cities on Sunday, according to three U.S. officials with knowledge of the plans.

The “family op,” as it is referred to at ICE and the Department of Homeland Security, is slated to target up to 2,000 families in as many as 10 U.S. cities, including Houston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and other major immigration destinations, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the law enforcement operation.

[Trump vows mass immigration arrests, removals of ‘millions of illegal aliens’]

Acting DHS secretary Kevin McAleenan has been urging ICE, an agency within his department, to conduct a narrower, more targeted operation that would seek to detain a group of about 150 families that were provided with attorneys but dropped out of the legal process and absconded.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »

These are people who have already received deportation orders from a court of law. They have received their due process, and if they respected the United States, they would've respected its laws and gone home voluntarily when asked nicely to. If you have laws, the legal process takes its course, and the government is unwilling to take action on court orders, there is no point in having laws or courts.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »

Great! It's about time.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »

How do those boots taste?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »

What do you mean?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 06:56:47 PM »

Skunk is calling you a bootlicker
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »

I haven't voted for any Republican candidates for federal office in many years. The last time was in 2002. But I also say

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »

The march of the Gestapo begins.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:35 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »

The problem here is not enforcing the law. (Although the idea of a traitor, criminal, con-artist and oathbreaker in charge of "enforcing the law" is depressingly amusing.) The problem is "mass roundup" and "pre-dawn raids" (and doing the whole thing clearly to score political points). Even presuming the administration is telling the truth (which itself seems unlikely, given its track record) these ought not be acceptable in any democracy. Is this literally an American version of the of Gestapo? No. But it is part of how you get there.

Btw, will the raids be targeting 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? I understand a particularly prominent employer of illegal immigrants resides there.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:55 PM »

Stop comparing ICE with the Gestapo please.

You have no clue what the Gestapo even was ...

ICE is enforcing the laws of the US, which says that people with a negative asylum request need to be brought out of the country. Everything else would be a breach of law and a slap in the face of those who came legally to the US.

Let's get this done and remove the illegals !
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »

ICE is enforcing the laws of the US, which says that people with a negative asylum request need to be brought out of the country. Everything else would be a breach of law and a slap in the face of those who came legally to the US.

Tactics matter. Means matter. My great-grandparents didn't fight WWII so that America could have pre-dawn raids, mass round-ups, and concentration camps at the whim of a ranting maniac.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:19 PM »

Tactics matter. Means matter. My great-grandparents didn't fight WWII so that America could have pre-dawn raids, mass round-ups, and concentration camps at the whim of a ranting maniac.

The law has to be enforced and it is often not nice to round these people up and bring these illegals out of the country.

Everyone who's not a total naive leftist knows this.

And this has happened under every administration, even under Obama. The sneaky illegals often find ways to hide and it needs the courage of ICE officers to put their lives at risk to get these illegal invaders out again.

They have my full support.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:12 PM »

Like tacos!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 11:39:18 PM »

The law has to be enforced and it is often not nice to round these people up and bring these illegals out of the country.

And this has happened under every administration, even under Obama. The sneaky illegals often find ways to hide and it needs the courage of ICE officers to put their lives at risk to get these illegal invaders out again.

I’m surprised to see Tender “Muslim men bad” Branson supporter this/s
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 11:39:32 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2019, 11:43:41 PM by Crumpets »

The Nazis were also just enforcing Nazi law. You can argue the comparison as much as you want, but just pointing to "the law" as an unquestionable monolith is not a good way to make that case.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 11:43:01 PM »

Everything the Nazis did was legal under Nazi law. You can argue the comparison as much as you want, but just pointing to "the law" as an unquestionable monolith is not a good way to make that case.

It's also wrong on a moral and fairness basis, not just to enforce the law. You simply cannot turn up at the border of the US or Austria, just because you think you are entitled to get into a certain country ... as I have said it is unfair (because illegal) to the others who have come legally and were OK to deal with all the paperwork.

And why are you trying to protect illegals (many of them rapists, murderers and other criminals) from deportation ?

Enforcing the law and enable fairness for US citizens and legal immigrants ≠ Nazis (even though you always try to compare it to them).
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »

Rightfully deporting people who have no legal right to be here =/= Nazi Germany

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »

Everything the Nazis did was legal under Nazi law. You can argue the comparison as much as you want, but just pointing to "the law" as an unquestionable monolith is not a good way to make that case.

It's also wrong on a moral and fairness basis, not just to enforce the law. You simply cannot turn up at the border of the US or Austria, just because you think you are entitled to get into a certain country ... as I have said it is unfair (because illegal) to the others who have come legally and were OK to deal with all the paperwork.

And why are you trying to protect illegals (many of them rapists, murderers and other criminals) from deportation ?

You literally can, though. It's called asylum. It's codified into law. Violating the right of people applying for asylum is illegal. Asylum applications have nothing to do with these raids, but I'm not surprised you tried to blur the lines here to make all asylum aplicants out to be rapists, murderers, and criminals because they didn't go through a different, more lengthy citizenship process.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »

You literally can, though. It's called asylum. It's codified into law. Violating the right of people applying for asylum is illegal. Asylum applications have nothing to do with these raids, but I'm not surprised you tried to blur the lines here to make all asylum aplicants out to be rapists, murderers, and criminals because they didn't go through a different, more lengthy citizenship process.

ICE deports people with a negative asylum request, not with a positive one.

And that is correct.

And where did I say that all asylum seekers are criminals ? Nowhere.

Some of them surely are. That's why their asylum request was denied or they were imprisoned for a crime. And you are protecting them and nursing them, so they can potentially commit another crime against a US family.

Ultra-leftist naive people like you sicken me. You have blood on your hands.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »

I’m surprised to see Tender “Muslim men bad” Branson supporter this/s

Criminal Muslim men = bad.

Non-criminal, non-religious Muslim men = ok.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 12:03:19 AM »

Hopefully they fail. Luckily the good folks in Chicago and the State of Illinois are doing their part:

Hopefully other states and cities follow their great work.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:04:57 AM »

The law has to be enforced

Pull the other one.
Trump isn’t just violating norms — he’s also breaking the law
Trump has bragged that he will break the law
Trump's 10 Impeachable Offenses
Trump to Congress: It’s None of Your Business if I Break the Law
Congress gets proof Trump broke the law after he became president

It appears that the right only cares about "enforcing the law" when it's a useful excuse for whatever evil they want to do this time.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »

I’m happy that the dems have finally admitted to open borders - if people whose asylum applications were rejected aren’t deported then there’s no hope in enforcing laws. dems playing the long game for more future voters...
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 06:58:41 AM »

Good news.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length