Trump admin defends inhumane conditions for children at its concentration camps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:01:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump admin defends inhumane conditions for children at its concentration camps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Trump admin defends inhumane conditions for children at its concentration camps  (Read 4773 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »

I'm sure glad Atlas lets bigots like Hollywood run wild over threads like this.

any disagreement with the groupthink = bigotry, run back to your safe space child
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »

any disagreement with the groupthink = bigotry, run back to your safe space child

Bigotry is bigotry, champ. Calling people fleeing persecution and violence "invaders" is bigotry, champ.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »

Cool thread.
Hollywood
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »

Bigotry is bigotry, champ. Calling people fleeing persecution and violence "invaders" is bigotry, champ.

How do you know they are facing persecution and violence?  This idea that everyone is now an asylum seeker is a fairly new left-wing talking point.  In the past, Democrats argued that they were just looking for a better life.  Now they all have legitimate asylum claims.  Either someone is lying to you or your lying to me. 
Hollywood
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »

Really, people should just stop responding to him. I mean, he thinks that there is an "invasion" going on, that doesn't really sound like someone who's willing to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.

Invasion: an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Yu8LXYSALPHy5gLHq6iACA&q=invasion&oq=invasion&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.143.855..1039...0.0..0.147.740.8j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.5t23REVsYJI

Anyone that doesn't think this is an invasion doesn't understand English. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 03:57:00 PM »

Really, people should just stop responding to him. I mean, he thinks that there is an "invasion" going on, that doesn't really sound like someone who's willing to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.

Invasion: an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Yu8LXYSALPHy5gLHq6iACA&q=invasion&oq=invasion&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.143.855..1039...0.0..0.147.740.8j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.5t23REVsYJI

Nice troll job but the definition you cited is for when the word is used to define a large group of people show up in an area like “an invasion of fans” as google uses. That definition has not negative context to it but you were blatantly using the word in its original “foreign or military seizure of land” context
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »

How do you know they are facing persecution and violence?  This idea that everyone is now an asylum seeker is a fairly new left-wing talking point.  In the past, Democrats argued that they were just looking for a better life.  Now they all have legitimate asylum claims.  Either someone is lying to you or your lying to me. 
How isn’t an asylum seeker by definition “seeking a better life”?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »

Hollywood is the one saying, “Anyone who disagrees with me is anti-semitic”.
Hollywood
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

Nice troll job but the definition you cited is for when the word is used to define a large group of people show up in an area like “an invasion of fans” as google uses. That definition has not negative context to it but you were blatantly using the word in its original “foreign or military seizure of land” context

You realize google is providing you one of many examples.  Invasions can have good or bad connotations such as a "swarm of children invaded the ice cream shop like ravenous hyenas."  It's definition is only really limited in the minds of Democrats who attempt to salvage lost arguments with self-serving interpretations.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »

You realize google is providing you one of many examples.  Invasions can have good or bad connotations such as a "swarm of children invaded the ice cream shop like ravenous hyenas."  It's definition is only really limited in the minds of Democrats who attempt to salvage lost arguments with self-serving interpretations.
You said and I quote “Jews didn’t invade Germany” and now you’re trying to act like you didn’t mean it in a militaristic or even simply a negative context?
Hollywood
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »

An Asylum Seeker is not just someone seeking a better life.  They are running away from oppression.  Everyone is seeking a better life.  All you guys have done with the immigration debate is play word games.  Constantly playing word games.
Hollywood
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »

You said and I quote “Jews didn’t invade Germany” and now you’re trying to act like you didn’t mean it in a militaristic or even simply a negative context?

I see that you're confuse, because I see you jumping around way too much. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »

An Asylum Seeker is not just someone seeking a better life.  They are running away from oppression.  Everyone is seeking a better life.  All you guys have done with the immigration debate is play word games.  Constantly playing word games.

Go stand in front of a giant mirror, and repeat your same words ... "Play word games. Constantly playing word games."
Hollywood
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 04:40:13 PM »

Go stand in front of a giant mirror, and repeat your same words ... "Play word games. Constantly playing word games."

That was the point.  lol. 
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for this (or similar) thread to come up.

Then again, reactions are as predictable & redundant as expected (By even OP)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »

Oh look. Another discussion about inhumanity where we talk about everyone but the victims of it. These are children for f-cks sake. They aren't a threat to you. They are children.

But we've always done this; from actual camps in the early 20th century, to Japanese internment to big upstate institutions where we used to put the sick, the disabled, the vulnerable and shut them away. It doesn't matter whether there's a bed or not, whether there's visitors allowed or none allowed entry. It doesn't matter about cosmetics or how comfortable it looks.

We do this time and time again because you know what? People are happy for this to happen. They don't want to see it. They learn not to see it even when it's right in front of them. How many panhandlers and beggars do you really see. Any of you? You avoid them, you dread talking to them, dreading having to look at them. So you edit them out of your vision to get on with your day and your life and your own problems, edit them out of your thought processes, edit them out of your priorities when you cast your vote and when we do that, we give those institutions, those authorities and those guards the power to do what they need to make us not see it or disbelieve what we see, because we've already demonstrated in the public discourse that we don't care. And years, decades later the people who we didn't see tell us they were abused, tell us of the difficulties they faced and the treatment they faced and we ignore that too.

And when we talk about it, those who care, those who show any concern or discomfort are charged with 'well I don't see you doing anything about it'. Or we're told it's actually their fault for 'coming here', or 'not getting a job' or 'not having a home.' Until it's us, until we're faced with that and we grasp and fight to avoid that fate. Or it's 'how it's been done before' or there's 'this law and that law' and we don't ever stop to think maybe, just maybe we're doing everything we can to keep our eyes closed but opening them will absolutely terrify us.

Be angry about this. Be afraid about it. Notice it, because when people stop noticing you, you'll wish you'd cared just a bit more.
Hollywood
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »

Except that their parents chose to come here.  We didn’t rip them from their homes.  Nobody climbs the wall into a concentration camp.  This is a holding center where intruders are waiting for due process. 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 06:34:56 PM »

It really is insane how many people don't understand that concentration camps =/= extermination camps. It's in the name: a concentration camp is a place where many people are concentrated. They existed before the Nazi death camps, and the Nazis distinguished between the two. In fact the earliest Nazi camps were simply private areas requisitioned by the state (or paramilitaries) in order to fit the various political prisoners that the Nazis wanted out of the picture when they first gained power.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2019, 06:52:23 PM by Hugo Award nominee »

Except that their parents chose to come here.

And, as we all know, there's nothing more freedom-loving American than punishing children for their parents' behavior. Maybe we can punish your children for your posts if/when you have any by reading them Der Giftpilz.
Hollywood
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

It really is insane how many people don't understand that concentration camps =/= extermination camps. It's in the name: a concentration camp is a place where many people are concentrated. They existed before the Nazi death camps, and the Nazis distinguished between the two. In fact the earliest Nazi camps were simply private areas requisitioned by the state (or paramilitaries) in order to fit the various political prisoners that the Nazis wanted out of the picture when they first gained power.

Concentration camps are distinguished from detention centers.  

https://www.britannica.com/topic/concentration-camp
Hollywood
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »

And, as we all know, there's nothing more freedom-loving American than punishing children for their parents' behavior.

Were not punishing them.  Were also not rewarding them.  There parents have the freedom to go home by rescinding their likely frivolous asylum complaint, which would allow legitimate complaints to be adjudicated quicker. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »

And, as we all know, there's nothing more freedom-loving American than punishing children for their parents' behavior.

Were not punishing them.

Well, I'm perfectly willing to let you go and live somewhere that looks like this:

yourself if you feel that way, champ.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »

Here are some obvious statements:

1. This is horrible.
2. It reflects badly on our country.
3. These are in fact concentration camps. 
4. Undecided voters are going to care about this, even though they should, because it's not affecting them directly.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 09:24:57 PM »

I made a post highlighting all this but it was deleted... presumably not because of that part.

There was an article in Newsweek about this and it quoted George Takei who was interned at 2 camps during WWII in the US and a Jewish Holocaust historian that both agreed these are concentration camps.

I'll take their word over Hollywood's.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »

Were not punishing them.
Get your talking points straight. The Trump administration has literally admitted that the purpose of these policies is “deterrence.” The whole point is that it’s punitive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies