1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:09:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46
Author Topic: 1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)  (Read 47433 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »

Tulsi getting a lot of search interest on Google.

She was so calm and dignified, no doubt she has the laser focus of a soldier, unlike most of the other debaters on that stage.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2019, 10:37:02 PM »

I don't think there were any winners tonight but...

Good Debates:
Julian Castro
Tulsi Gabbard

Above Average:
Cory Booker
John Delaney
Elizabeth Warren

Won't really be remembered/Decent:
Tim Ryan
Jay Inslee
Amy Klobuchar

Bad:
Bill De Blasio (This is my opinion, I just hate the guy so much)

Horrible, Could be out of the race by August:
Beto O'Rourke
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »

People saying de Blasio did good is making me cringe. The guy is a terrible mayor, and you won't find a New Yorker from any corner of the spectrum who likes him.

He had a good performance, but I don't like his positions, so it didn't help him with me.

That's my take on Klobuchar and Booker.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:03 PM »

Klobuchar pretty much faded into the background imo. Not a very memorable performance (minus the abortion remark).
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2019, 10:42:50 PM by izixs »

Overall impressions:

Warren - Competent, but hard to shine when there's a bunch of really loud guys who want to butt in constantly and who won't stop talking Delaney. Warren did alright.
Beto - Clearly his heart or his head is not in this. Maybe both? Overall bad night.
Booker - He's got some fire in him that seems barely contained. I kind of like that, but can see why it would be unsettling for others. (Hint, angry white guys are more acceptable than anyone else in the US) Generally alright overall I'd argue.
Klobuchar - Was... there? A couple eye rolling moments but came off as less ugh than she does on paper at least, so... okay night?
Castro - Showed competency early and constantly. And didn't come off as pushy either, so a very good night for him.
Inslee - Wanted to see more from him just in general, but got Governor Running for President Template instead of much of substance. Good you did stuff... but what are you going to do next (beyond fight climate change in the abstract). Eh night though people know he exists now so a boon?
Gabbard - I'm no fan of her, and a few moments reminded me as to why (including the glossing over of her history to try to turn it into a positive), but I did appreciate when it was over her smack down of Ryan. An okay night I guess? Also did you know she's a veteran. Broken records get old... first debate that's alright, but if next... well...
Ryan - Haha, what an idiot. Also super don't appreciate the whinning about those ivy league liberal elites! We're Democrats, we can acknowledge that we need to be better about connecting with people without it being a back handed attack that will probably doom our eventual nominee, whom ever it may be. Crap night. Should just drop out now.
De Blasio - Like with Booker, appreciated his passion. I do have some other issues with him, but he had a great bit about yeah, of course we should be supporting this laundry list of things, we're Democrats, that's what we do. Its what people think we're all about already. Still issues, but he had a great night overall.
Delaney - Delaney wants to talk! Delaney wants more time! Delaney will continue to speak and cut into other people's time if he has to! Delaney! Add in his eye rolling at trying to fight for big ideas (with the implied assumption for fighting for big ideas always being that if we try, even if we get a compromise it is better than what we got, and he seems to not get that?) and I just am so done with this guy. Drop out and save us all a lot of trouble.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »

I'm starting to think the only reason I liked Ryan's performance is because he pandered to rust belt people like myself.

Ryan mixing up the Taliban and al-Qaeda was pretty darn bad.

He didn't mix them up, he was trying to say that the Taliban was protecting Al-Qaeda, which it was, but he had trouble getting it out.

That's certainly not how it came across.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »

Honestly, I think Gabbard did not do well. She made all of her responses about fighting in Iraq. Yes, she won that exchange with Tim Ryan--but that was pretty easy to do.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2019, 10:41:08 PM »

the people who are trying to claim Warren did "great" are the same people who tried to mop up all of Hillary's messes in 2015/2016
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #558 on: June 26, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »

She was so calm and dignified, no doubt she has the laser focus of a soldier, unlike most of the other debaters on that stage.

Speaking from the experience of coming from a military family, soliders are trained to remain calm in high-pressure situations, especially those from military police/law enforcement units like Gabbard.
History505
« Reply #559 on: June 26, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »

the people who are trying to claim Warren did "great" are the same people who tried to mop up all of Hillary's messes in 2015/2016
To me, she did eh.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #560 on: June 26, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »

I mean it's not like she did bad, she just didn't stand out and was boring with no emontion
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #561 on: June 26, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »

Everyone who said China just proves how incompetent they are.

The only correct answers to that question would be climate change, Trump, gun violence and an inhumane way to treat one another - including of course in immigration policy.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #562 on: June 26, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »

Speaking from the experience of coming from a military family, soliders are trained to remain calm in high-pressure situations, especially those from military police/law enforcement units like Gabbard.

Let's not spin this. She was pretty bad.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #563 on: June 26, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »

I can't believe I agree with something Deblasio said but I do. He is spot on that democrats are afraid to articulate their position and vision at times and have not been strong enough for the working class. Beto is exactly the kind of PC politician that Trump would love to run against.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #564 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:21 PM »

Did anybody just catch the anti-democratic ad that literally just aired 1 minute ago on MSNBC on the after-hour coverage?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #565 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »

I mean it's not like she did bad, she just didn't stand out and was boring with no emontion
I mean it more in the sense of a bizarre cult of personality that dismisses all criticism against her as sexism against a "strong woman" rather than recognizing severe weaknesses that could be exploited in a general election. Just like with Hillary
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #566 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »

Let's not spin this. She was pretty bad.

No she wasn't, she did very well, let alone exceed expectations.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #567 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:36 PM »

Everyone who said China just proves how incompetent they are.

The only correct answers to that question would be climate change, Trump, gun violence and an inhumane way to treat one another - including of course in immigration policy.

The number one geopolitical threat to the US is gun violence? Lol, okay. Actually, anyone who answered anything but China has proven their incompetence.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #568 on: June 26, 2019, 10:52:27 PM »

Can someone give me a quick reason why so many thought beto didn't do well. I did not watch debate, just curious.

Did he have a gaffe?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #569 on: June 26, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »

Were people here watching a different debate? Gabbard did terribly. She came across as lifeless, flubbed her very first answer and responded to everything with ‘I’m a solider’. Taking out Tim Ryan also won’t help her, as Ryan was one of the few candidates up there who did worse. Two z grade candidates having an exchange will not generate much press going forward anyway
AtorBoltox

« Reply #571 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »

Anyway, Ryan and Delaney should drop out now and retire from politics
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #572 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »

Where can I watch a recording of this? I was busy.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #573 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:37 PM »

I've got two non-content-related questions:

1.) Does Amy Klobuchar have a strange accent? She reminds me of my former English teacher as to how she pronounces English words.

2.) Do Booker and Sanders have a similar accent? Especially the way Cory pronounces words like sure or her makes me wonder if he tries to imitate Bernie.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #574 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »

Can someone give me a quick reason why so many thought beto didn't do well. I did not watch debate, just curious.

Did he have a gaffe?
His answers were wishy washy and he sounded much less mature than his age. He came across like a light weight.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies