Extra Republican Electoral vote in 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:54:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Extra Republican Electoral vote in 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Extra Republican Electoral vote in 2008?  (Read 9586 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: November 23, 2005, 10:27:34 PM »

If they're serious about giving DC representation, it should get two senators as well.

It should get to vote for Maryland's Senators.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:18:42 PM »

One, the bill is obviously unconstitutional.

Two, anyone who thinks DC should get two senators should be shot.

I agree that constitutionally DC needs either statehood or a constitutional amendment to get representation. That being said, I would support either option so that residents of the district can get representation. I can tell that A18 is scared of two extra dem senators or else he wouldn't want to shoot me.

I would support Senatorial representation for DC as long as there was a system whereby the winners of the Republican and Democratic primaries both became Senators Smiley
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »

theyre taxed but not represented, which is unconstitutional.

Don't tax them then.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 12:39:01 PM »

Frankly if DC gets statehoodesque status...then I want Bucks County PA ( a county with at least 100,000 more people than DC) to be severed from PA and given 3 electoral votes. Just because DC is as large as Wyoming doesn't mean a damn thing. There are plenty of places as large as Wyoming and while they get to vote for senators, their vote counts for less. Thats how it was meant to be, the senate was never intended to be tied to population. The Upper House was intended to represent state interests in American Federalism. DC is not a state, nor should it ever be one. It was an entity given up by two states (although I think the land in DC now was owned by Maryland) to create a neutral zone so that the capital was not located in a state and thus influenced by its interests.

DC was always mean to be a neutral zone as it were. Giving it Senators and voting powers in the house pretty much destroys this purpose.

Give the state of Maryland all of the non federally owned land in the District of Columbia (since I believe Virginia got its original share back)

^^^^^^^^^^
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies