Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:29:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 109001 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 17, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »

Exit polls are out in just over an hour and I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. I have no feel for things at all.

I have been disappointed by enough Israeli election nights now, thinking "oh this time he really is going to lose to (insert new excitable Ashkenazi centrist here)" and then Netanyahu wins anyway, so best not get your Hopes up. He always wins.

Exactly. Brace for more ludicrous behavior, jaded governance, and a hearty rise in deplorable land moves in the 90% chance Bibi wins again.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #626 on: September 17, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »

Exit polls are out in just over an hour and I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. I have no feel for things at all.

I have been disappointed by enough Israeli election nights now, thinking "oh this time he really is going to lose to (insert new excitable Ashkenazi centrist here)" and then Netanyahu wins anyway, so best not get your Hopes up. He always wins.

Those are my thoughts. I'll believe Bibi loses when I see it. Although I don't think he'll avoid jail no matter whst happens tonight, so his days are numbered.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #627 on: September 17, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »

Those are my thoughts. I'll believe Bibi loses when I see it. Although I don't think he'll avoid jail no matter whst happens tonight, so his days are numbered.

You won't see it.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #628 on: September 17, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2019, 01:19:02 PM by Parrotguy »

You won't see it.

You need to calm down

(But seriously, we're trying to have a serious discussion here, not bedwetting. Bibi has a good chance to win but you shouldn't derail the thread about that.)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #629 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »

DemCamp aren’t passing the threshold. B&W ate too much. Brace yourselves massive right victory in coming
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »

DemCamp aren’t passing the threshold. B&W ate too much. Brace yourselves massive right victory in coming

Where are you seeing this?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: September 17, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »

8pm turnout at 63.7 percent, on pace for a turnout of around 70 percent or so
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #632 on: September 17, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »

63.7% at 20:00. Bibi is broadcasting like a madman. Right voters are going out
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #633 on: September 17, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »

8pm turnout at 63.7 percent, on pace for a turnout of around 70 percent or so

Well at least one of my predictions will be right
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #634 on: September 17, 2019, 01:20:41 PM »

Insiders from the exit polls and turnout data
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #635 on: September 17, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »

I can never remember: what time do we get the exit polls?

Also, Bagel, cease and desist. Sh!tposting isn't part of the culture of this board, even if it is of the US election boards.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #636 on: September 17, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »

My prediction now is that Likud will win by a margin for 3-5%, although I hope Benny Gantz will defeat Bibi.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #637 on: September 17, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »

My prediction now is that Likud will win by a margin for 3-5%, although I hope Benny Gantz will defeat Bibi.

Huh Do you understand the Israeli electoral system?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #638 on: September 17, 2019, 01:24:12 PM »

Also,if you were not posting in this thread at the time of last week at minimum, you should not be dominating the posts now.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #639 on: September 17, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »

I really hope you're wrong.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: September 17, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »

That's what we all thought in April, too. It didn't happen.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: September 17, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »

But he is not, and that should come as a surprise to no one.
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #642 on: September 17, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »

My unserious guess is - the pro-Bibi block (Likud, Yamina, UTJ, Shas, Otzma if above the threshold) at exactly 60 seats, just like in the last election.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #643 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »

My unserious guess is - the pro-Bibi block (Likud, Yamina, UTJ, Shas, Otzma if above the threshold) at exactly 60 seats, just like in the last election.

That's my guess too. I went to bed expecting the right-religious bloc at 59 and woke up feeling just the tiniest bit more pessimistic.

I think Bibi's probably going to be #LockedUp soon enough anyway, though--even if the right-religious bloc somehow ended up at like 64 or so there'd only be so much time left to form a government and ram through an immunity law--so [shrug emoji].
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #644 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:33 PM »

Always believe its Gevelt until you actually see the numbers.

Seriously, if you were not posting in this thread at the time of last week at minimum, you should not be dominating the posts now. if you didn't give us your attention then, don't try and pretend you deserve our attention now. The international board is not the  presidential board.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: September 17, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »

Seriously, if you were not posting in this thread at the time of last week at minimum, you should not be dominating the posts now. if you didn't give us your attention then, don't try and pretend you deserve our attention now. The international board is not the  presidential board.

What does gevelt mean? I tried looking it up but cannot find a clear meaning.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #646 on: September 17, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »

Scaremongering and expectations spin during the polling silence at the end of an election, basically. I think it comes from a Yiddish-derived idiom for "screaming bloody murder" but don't quote me on that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #647 on: September 17, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »

See this is what I mean.

But if you are serious, gevelt is a yiddish word that loosely means 'fearmongering.' In such a small and connected country as Israel, a campaign or candidate has far more incentives to exude an atmosphere of fear rather than security, since the message will reach every desired ear. In larger nations, it is better to always portray a atmosphere of success or joy, because the message won't disseminate quick enough. Those that it does reach may also just take it as a sign of the  upcoming defeat and stay home, if the  polling station is far away unlike in Israel.

In 2019, before the polls closed, every major party had already tweeted or made some other statement stating that they were going to loose, turnout wasn't good enough, their vote had been eaten, or they were going to miss the threshold.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »

I am also seeing a lot of Meretz gevalt. Nobody knows if it's real until 10pm. My hunch is that they are very close to the threshold and Bibi won't have a majority if they pass.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #649 on: September 17, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »

Obviously what Netanyahu needs is for the non-YB Right to win a majority.  How important is it also for Likud to be ahead of B&W for Netanyahu to win?  Namely if B&W wins more seats than Likud is there not a risk that B&W will be given the first shot at forming a government and B&W could break Likud have having an anti-Netanyahu faction of Likud to defect to B&W ?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies