Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 108485 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2019, 03:03:17 AM by Hnv1 »

Well it’s happening. Let the games begin
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »

Last time a county had these instant elections (Spain) turnout dropped and the party not involved the previous government formation (PP) benefited from the vote swings. But this is Israel, where the voters are loyal to the parties that gravitate around their general political pole, be it left, right, Haredi, Arab, or whatever. So who knows what is going to end up happening.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »

You heard it here first - in late August some mediocre centrist party surges in the polls and everyone gets all kinds of hopeful that Bibi is finally on the way out. Come election day, Likud wins outright and the right wins 70 seats.

May as well hold the bloody thing tomorrow.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »

It's happening. And I have no words for this freak show. I blame Lieberman, but I blame Netanyahu too. In the end I will support Smotrich anyway, but at this point I'm mad and I think this is banana republic behavior. It's inappropriate and the height of disrespect to hijack a nation like this. Because fundamentally voters are right. It is up to politicians to build a coalition.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 07:18:57 PM »

You heard it here first - in late August some mediocre centrist party surges in the polls and everyone gets all kinds of hopeful that Bibi is finally on the way out. Come election day, Likud wins outright and the right wins 70 seats.

You can say that again...
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »

You can say that again...

"You heard it here first - in late August some mediocre centrist party surges in the polls and everyone gets all kinds of hopeful that Bibi is finally on the way out. Come election day, Likud wins outright and the right wins 70 seats.

May as well hold the bloody thing tomorrow."
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:13 PM »

Labor is probably going to get a bump from leadership elections which Blue and White will not get. I think Blue and White and Labor will probably get the same amount of votes as last time but it will be more evenly split between the two.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »

This is why Israel should switch to FPTP. I actually think in FPTP Bibi may have a chance to lose cause he cant just rely on winning over base voters
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »

This is why Israel should switch to FPTP. I actually think in FPTP Bibi may have a chance to lose cause he cant just rely on winning over base voters

Please stop lol, this idea has been completely shut down by anyone with a remote understanding of Israeli politics many times in the past already

Because fundamentally voters are right. It is up to politicians to build a coalition.

Can't say I agree with this tbh. I don't think voters who elected Trump are right, and I definitely don't think voters who are voting for a theocratic coalition promising to make the Knesset a criminal protection site are right. It's up to each person to decide.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 11:55:24 PM »

beep boop FPTP beep boop
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »

Israel please please wake get rid of Bibi, you are better than this. I won’t hold my breath though.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 01:54:53 AM by Walmart_shopper »

Israel please please wake get rid of Bibi, you are better than this. I won’t hold my breath though.

Why do you think we're better than this? Bibi is exactly what our banana republic deserves.

The beautiful thing is that a Moldovan Putinist who relies on racist political themes actually ended up saving us from Bibi anyway. Thanks, Yvette.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 01:53:19 AM »

So with lack of funds it's already clear The Arab lists will form a joint list again. Meretz-Labour are set for a joint run. NR and Zehut are contemplating.

The field will be even less crowded.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 01:57:35 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 03:56:07 AM by Walmart_shopper »

So with lack of funds it's already clear The Arab lists will form a joint list again. Meretz-Labour are set for a joint run. NR and Zehut are contemplating.

The field will be even less crowded.

It's why it really won't be quite the same election. These mergers will move mandates all over the place (towards the Likud but away from the right, towards the Arab parties, towards Labor but away from Blue and White, etc.). It may not fundamentally change the result (or maybe it will), but with Bibi now basically guaranteed to be indicted in October it could massively shift how a coalition is formed after the election.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:45:09 AM »

Has it been confirmed Blue and White won't get funding and if so, why would that happen?
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 04:55:43 AM »

The beautiful thing is that a Moldovan Putinist who relies on racist political themes actually ended up saving us from Bibi anyway.

Your emphasis on Lieberman's country of birth is also a bit... racist? And I dislike his politics probably as much as you do.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 06:31:01 AM »

The beautiful thing is that a Moldovan Putinist who relies on racist political themes actually ended up saving us from Bibi anyway.

Your emphasis on Lieberman's country of birth is also a bit... racist? And I dislike his politics probably as much as you do.

Racism against post-Soviet Jews is pretty rampant, though in this case it's not really serious. The most racist party against us by far is Shas.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »

Because fundamentally voters are right. It is up to politicians to build a coalition.
Can't say I agree with this tbh. I don't think voters who elected Trump are right, and I definitely don't think voters who are voting for a theocratic coalition promising to make the Knesset a criminal protection site are right. It's up to each person to decide.
I don't mean it in that way (I certainly don't think Swedish and Spanish voters were right). What I mean is that politicians ought to work with the result that the people deliver. They shouldn't just be able to say "we can't deal with this result, let's do this election again" as if it's the people who made a mistake, not politicians. They should simply respect the outcome of the election and build a coalition.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 06:38:41 AM »

He's from Moldova and represents an almost entirely Russian speaking party. I'm curious how it's possible to think of Yvette Liberman without thinking of those facts.

And I actually don't hate his politics that much. He's racist, but not in a dangerously messianic way like the settlers, whose racism is theological. He's merely conventionally racist in the traditional Israeli style, which is why he's a two-stater and not a build-the-tempke one-stater.  I actually very much admire his advocacy for Russian speaking Israelis and, on the rare occasion that he sticks to his principles, his insistene on government free from the dominance of the small Haredi minority.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 06:47:55 AM »

Well as I'll be in Australia this is officially the first ever national, local, party elections I will not take part in
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:33 AM »

Well as I'll be in Australia this is officially the first ever national, local, party elections I will not take part in

Who do you usually vote for, by the way?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »

Lieberman literally leads a party for ex-Soviets, so his status as an ex-Soviet is relevant, it's not something he hides. Obviously ex-Soviets have interests which are different from Israelis at large, otherwise they wouldn't have their own political party. Same goes for other minorities: Arabs, ultra-Orthodox, etc.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »

Who do you usually vote for, by the way?
In every GE bar the last one I voted Meretz, last time around I voted Balad as a protest. (I did almost vote Labour in 2003).

As it appears now, Gabbay is out of the door and whoever succeeds him will agree to a joint run with Meretz, I naturally wouldn't vote this abomination.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »

So, the big question now is...considering the amount of fire he's getting and is still to get by September, will Liberman recommend bibi again to the president? if not that's going to be huge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies