NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:24:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112283 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: February 01, 2023, 03:35:24 AM »

I remember how much sh*t I took for saying I would vote third party over Hochul if I lived in New York. That she was always an active, willing participant in a party machine that views mainstream Democrats as a greater enemy than conservatives.

Once again, I have been vindicated!

The NY Dems knew there would be plenty like you, that's why they forced all third parties off the ballot. Zeldin might've won if the Greens were there. Not difficult to see them getting 7% or something and changing the result.

That's just lazy thinking that Hochul would get all of the Green party voters. I think there was some 2016 poll where Hillary only beat Trump by 25 points with Stein voters.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1951 on: February 01, 2023, 06:58:01 AM »

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellNY/status/1620268450668232705

Completely abhorrent

EDIT: It passed pretty overwhelmingly though so she might get overridden?

What are the specifics of that bill? I either couldn't find an independent report or access was denied to EU copyright laws.

Would have allowed those experiencing emotional damage due to a wrongful death to seek damages in addition to people economically damaged

It's a preposterous bill, and a gift to Trial Lawyers.

Death is part of life.  The death of a person does, indeed, impose knowable financial loss on survivors that can be calculated, and those damages should be awarded, but people DO have choices as to their emotional responses to tragedy.  Life DOES go on, and no one is promised tomorrow.  I'm not promised the rest of today, and while I'm hoping for all of it, I'm 66 years old, and in much of the world, I'd be considered past my expiration date.  I have empathy for the survivors of Wrongful Death victims, but I also believe that a good deal of the nastiness and oppressiveness of our society stems from our growing litigiousness and fear of Civil Liability. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1952 on: February 01, 2023, 09:16:35 AM »

I feel like we're in a cycle of "Hochul does something, everyone freaks out and says she's the devil" with no context in between. Not saying that all of the stuff she's doing isn't legitimately bad, but it certainly would be confounding if she was doing all of these things on purpose, and I can't take a lot of Twitter seriously about it because some of those people freak out over everything.

Can someone actually break down this veto and what the bill actually does?
Babeuf

« Reply #1953 on: February 01, 2023, 02:13:39 PM »

Hochul’s budget proposal came out and includes pushing for new charter schools. This will be a big fight with the teachers unions and their allies in the legislature.

Already signs of pushback:

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1954 on: February 01, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »

Hochul’s budget proposal came out and includes pushing for new charter schools. This will be a big fight with the teachers unions and their allies in the legislature.

Any have any idea why Hochul seems to be politically pouring gasoline onto her already on fire self?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1955 on: February 01, 2023, 07:52:10 PM »

I feel like we're in a cycle of "Hochul does something, everyone freaks out and says she's the devil" with no context in between. Not saying that all of the stuff she's doing isn't legitimately bad, but it certainly would be confounding if she was doing all of these things on purpose, and I can't take a lot of Twitter seriously about it because some of those people freak out over everything.

I agree that some of these twitter takes are a bit silly, but ig what's frustrating is that Hochul seems to be doing a lot of things that are the opposite of what she ran on, even though NY is generally a deep blue state, and it's unclear exactly why.

Is she just genuinely more conservative at heart? Does someone on the right have something against her they'll release if she doesn't do their bidding? Is she getting paid a lot of money?

Especially with the LaSalle thing and they fact she's bending over backwards to fight a losing battle for such an unlikely pick, something feels very wrong to me as a NYer and idk what it is. I just want like a coherent reason why she actually wants LaSalle on the court specifically so much.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1956 on: February 01, 2023, 07:55:08 PM »

Any have any idea why Hochul seems to be politically pouring gasoline onto her already on fire self?

Maybe, after her relatively close call in 2022, she is already accepting that she won't run again or be renominated and therefore now thinks she has nothing to lose?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1957 on: February 01, 2023, 11:47:04 PM »

Maybe, after her relatively close call in 2022, she is already accepting that she won't run again or be renominated and therefore now thinks she has nothing to lose?
I think it is a mix of wanting to do everything she can to get back into Cuomo's good graces and trying to win back Nassau/burn the people she saw as dragging her down. She's fundamentally a bad politician with sh**t instincts who mostly wants to get her crew rich so there's always that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1958 on: February 02, 2023, 01:15:28 AM »

I think it is a mix of wanting to do everything she can to get back into Cuomo's good graces and trying to win back Nassau/burn the people she saw as dragging her down. She's fundamentally a bad politician with sh**t instincts who mostly wants to get her crew rich so there's always that.

Her husband's ties to that taxpayer funded Buffalo Bill's stadium are certainly troubling.
kwabbit

« Reply #1959 on: February 02, 2023, 02:54:32 AM »

I agree that some of these twitter takes are a bit silly, but ig what's frustrating is that Hochul seems to be doing a lot of things that are the opposite of what she ran on, even though NY is generally a deep blue state, and it's unclear exactly why.

Is she just genuinely more conservative at heart? Does someone on the right have something against her they'll release if she doesn't do their bidding? Is she getting paid a lot of money?

Especially with the LaSalle thing and they fact she's bending over backwards to fight a losing battle for such an unlikely pick, something feels very wrong to me as a NYer and idk what it is. I just want like a coherent reason why she actually wants LaSalle on the court specifically so much.

Hochul was elected as a blue dog type in a Republican district in Western New York. Her political career has taught to her move to the center.

In her mind, she won a pyrrhic and embarrassing victory against Zeldin while running a more typically liberal campaign. Everything in her career has taught her to move to the center after an electoral underperformance, so that is what she's doing.

I don't think Hochul is really a poor politician either. The GOP was going to have a wave in NY either way. Only Suozzi could've kept the race comfortable given his downstate moderate politics, Williams could've done worse than Hochul.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1960 on: February 02, 2023, 10:21:46 AM »

Hochul was elected as a blue dog type in a Republican district in Western New York. Her political career has taught to her move to the center.

In her mind, she won a pyrrhic and embarrassing victory against Zeldin while running a more typically liberal campaign. Everything in her career has taught her to move to the center after an electoral underperformance, so that is what she's doing.

I don't think Hochul is really a poor politician either. The GOP was going to have a wave in NY either way. Only Suozzi could've kept the race comfortable given his downstate moderate politics, Williams could've done worse than Hochul.

Not saying you're wrong, though Hochul definitely draws the wrong conclusions from her underwhelming victory in 2022. For sure it wasn't because she was too liberal before.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1961 on: February 09, 2023, 01:57:55 PM »

GOP state sen. Anthony Palumbo is suing Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins to force a full senate vote on LaSalle. This will be laughed out of court.
The only person who has standing would be Hochul.

If Palumbo thought Hochul would sue, he wouldn't have filed this suit. I would be surprised if Hochul would sue over this after waiting so long.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/09/nys-senate-gop-files-suit-to-force-floor-vote-on-hector-lasalle-nomination/
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1962 on: February 14, 2023, 04:43:53 PM »

Stewart-Cousins says LaSalle doesn't have the votes even in a floor vote. Palumbo's lawsuit is being heard this Friday.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1963 on: February 15, 2023, 03:33:29 PM »

Lol not even close.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1964 on: February 15, 2023, 03:36:52 PM »

Lol not even close.

What a slapdown by your own party.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #1965 on: February 15, 2023, 03:54:28 PM »

Lol not even close.

Why on God's green Earth did she push for this so hard and ruin so much of her image and political capital? Did she really think LaSalle had a chance?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1966 on: February 15, 2023, 04:13:18 PM »

Lol not even close.

Why on God's green Earth did she push for this so hard and ruin so much of her image and political capital? Did she really think LaSalle had a chance?

Like her predecessor, Hochul is operating under the notion that the proper way to govern as a Democrat is to spit on the party's left flank while appealing to right-wingers. This may have worked well during the Clinton era but is now largely obsolete (and I believe this is a major reason why Democrats underperformed in NY in 2021-22).
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1967 on: February 15, 2023, 05:28:38 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2023, 05:39:31 PM by GALeftist »

OMG how embarrassing

EDIT: the ultimate indignity – even Simcha Felder voted no
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1968 on: February 15, 2023, 06:24:30 PM »

She should move on from this and should also scrap the housing units in suburbs

Focus on jobs, etc.

I can see her being primaried in 2026
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1969 on: February 15, 2023, 06:24:52 PM »

Good. Now we have a record to show who the fake Democrats are.
Duke of York

« Reply #1970 on: February 15, 2023, 11:11:39 PM »

She should move on from this and should also scrap the housing units in suburbs

Focus on jobs, etc.

I can see her being primaried in 2026

Yeah how dare we make those area’s affordable.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1971 on: February 16, 2023, 09:22:41 AM »

Lol not even close.

That's just embarrassing.  Hochul has really put herself through a lot of needless torture for this ordeal.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1972 on: February 16, 2023, 09:42:15 AM »

Lol not even close.

That's just embarrassing.  Hochul has really put herself through a lot of needless torture for this ordeal.

It seems that she has kind of screwed up since the election? Seems to be that she has taken the wrong lessons from NY Dems underperformance in 2022.

Hope NY can elect a better gov in 4 years. Perhaps we would have been better off with James.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #1973 on: February 16, 2023, 05:34:11 PM »

Lol not even close.

Like her predecessor, Hochul is operating under the notion that the proper way to govern as a Democrat is to spit on the party's left flank while appealing to right-wingers. This may have worked well during the Clinton era but is now largely obsolete (and I believe this is a major reason why Democrats underperformed in NY in 2021-22).
This is different.

You know Cuomo wouldn't have gotten in this mess.
Duke of York

« Reply #1974 on: February 16, 2023, 05:40:56 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 07:04:47 PM by Duke of York »

Lol not even close.

This is different.

You know Cuomo wouldn't have gotten in this mess.

Cuomo is the reason the maps were struck down. Had he picked better judges, Democrats might have done even better in the State Senate and maybe even kept the House.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies