NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:04:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112951 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: January 18, 2023, 09:09:58 PM »

What are the chances Hochul's lawsuit succeeds? I'd imagine quite slim? The Democrats didn't violate any law in rejecting Lasalle, so what right does she have to circumvent the confirmation process?

I say very doubtful , I know of no case where a judge ordered the legislature to hold a vote.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1926 on: January 18, 2023, 09:18:47 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2023, 09:22:59 PM by Nyvin »

It seems pretty dubious that the court would even have the authority to force the Senate committee to approve a nominee.

It's not like the committee is denying LaSalle a vote.  They voted on him and rejected him, what more can the court ask for?
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1927 on: January 18, 2023, 09:28:04 PM »

Seems really dubious that a court would intervene this deeply into the working of their legislature.

Even if a court ordered a full vote, does Hochul even have the votes?
With all republicans voting yes, Hochul still needs 11 democrats. Easy to imagine senators voting against LaSalle because of the lawsuit. Even if they normally had votes for his confirmation.

Duke of York

« Reply #1928 on: January 18, 2023, 10:05:18 PM »

Seems really dubious that a court would intervene this deeply into the working of their legislature.

Even if a court ordered a full vote, does Hochul even have the votes?
With all republicans voting yes, Hochul still needs 11 democrats. Easy to imagine senators voting against LaSalle because of the lawsuit. Even if they normally had votes for his confirmation.

I cannot see any judge doing this and setting such a precedent. Hochul needs to withdraw this nomination instead of going down this route and looking ridiculous.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1929 on: January 19, 2023, 12:53:53 AM »

This is a great start to Hochul’s first actual term. I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t run for re-election, but that’s still 3 years away
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1930 on: January 19, 2023, 01:54:14 AM »

This is a great start to Hochul’s first actual term. I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t run for re-election, but that’s still 3 years away

I wouldn't be shocked if Assembly/Senate retaliate with impeachment for this. They probably have the votes if they really want to go there (the entire progressive wing, most normal liberal D's, all Republicans).
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1931 on: January 19, 2023, 02:13:08 AM »

I wouldn't be shocked if Assembly/Senate retaliate with impeachment for this. They probably have the votes if they really want to go there (the entire progressive wing, most normal liberal D's, all Republicans).

That's a pretty huge leap. This is obviously bad for Hochul, but she hasn't broken any laws, and there's really no grounds for impeachment.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1932 on: January 19, 2023, 02:16:12 AM »

That's a pretty huge leap. This is obviously bad for Hochul, but she hasn't broken any laws, and there's really no grounds for impeachment.

Look who you are talking to.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1933 on: January 19, 2023, 02:29:09 AM »

New York Democrats will just use any Republican attempt to impeach Biden as precedent (and unlike Congressional Republicans, they clearly have the votes if they want to).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1934 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:50 AM »

Can someone please explain why Hochul is forcing this? I honestly don't get it.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1935 on: January 19, 2023, 09:51:51 AM »

I am very upset with her right now but don’t support her impeachment cause that’s a high bar and there’s not rlly any grounds. Only if it comes out that this is some huge insider political favor should she be impeached, which given how much she’s willing to die on this hill could be what’s going on
Duke of York

« Reply #1936 on: January 19, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »

There are absolutely no grounds for impeachment over this.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1937 on: January 19, 2023, 02:23:15 PM »

The working theory is her family is being held hostage
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1938 on: January 20, 2023, 11:26:27 PM »

Nobody does, but she’s gotta be into some freaky stuff that LaSalle has tapes of.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1939 on: January 23, 2023, 09:56:56 AM »

Is this battle somehow.... helping Hochul? LMAO

Siena has her approval at 56/36, which I think is the highest she's ever gotten in their poll

https://scri.siena.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/SNY0123-Crosstabs-SCRI.pdf
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1940 on: January 23, 2023, 10:07:09 AM »

Siena has her approval at 56/36, which I think is the highest she's ever gotten in their poll

People often like politicians having a fighter mentality; they don't always care that much what specifically they're fighting for. Especially when it's something not having an immediate negative impact like a court nominee.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #1941 on: January 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PM »

People often like politicians having a fighter mentality; they don't always care that much what specifically they're fighting for. Especially when it's something not having an immediate negative impact like a court nominee.
I would be very carefull:

Look at favourables.

Biden 49/47
Hotchul 48/42
Democrats 50/43

Federal, State, and Local Democrats all have the same thin ice numbers in New York.

The bad Midterm environment for New York Democrats continues, they have to be carefull or the thin ice might break and they'll drown.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1942 on: January 26, 2023, 08:31:37 PM »

Important to remember that most people have no idea this is going on. It’s probably just a re-election bump.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1943 on: January 27, 2023, 06:34:37 PM »

I love that every listed individual and organization in that poll has negative approval upstate. We don't like anybody up here.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1944 on: January 31, 2023, 01:02:53 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2023, 01:09:36 PM by GALeftist »

Completely abhorrent

EDIT: It passed pretty overwhelmingly though so she might get overridden?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1945 on: January 31, 2023, 02:04:57 PM »

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellNY/status/1620268450668232705

Completely abhorrent

What are the specifics of that bill? I either couldn't find an independent report or access was denied to EU copyright laws.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1946 on: January 31, 2023, 04:27:34 PM »

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellNY/status/1620268450668232705

Completely abhorrent

What are the specifics of that bill? I either couldn't find an independent report or access was denied to EU copyright laws.

Would have allowed those experiencing emotional damage due to a wrongful death to seek damages in addition to people economically damaged
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1947 on: January 31, 2023, 08:20:38 PM »

East Side Access just opened and there was a big Press conference with Biden, Hochul, Schumer, and other political leaders. Biden announced more funding for the Hudson tunnel.

What's frustrating is that Hochul takes the credit, even though she's been particularly bad for public transit and trains so far in her tenure.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1948 on: February 01, 2023, 12:40:40 AM »

I remember how much sh*t I took for saying I would vote third party over Hochul if I lived in New York. That she was always an active, willing participant in a party machine that views mainstream Democrats as a greater enemy than conservatives.

Once again, I have been vindicated!
kwabbit

« Reply #1949 on: February 01, 2023, 02:56:48 AM »

I remember how much sh*t I took for saying I would vote third party over Hochul if I lived in New York. That she was always an active, willing participant in a party machine that views mainstream Democrats as a greater enemy than conservatives.

Once again, I have been vindicated!

The NY Dems knew there would be plenty like you, that's why they forced all third parties off the ballot. Zeldin might've won if the Greens were there. Not difficult to see them getting 7% or something and changing the result.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies