NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:00:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112844 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »

Any word on when she’s to announce the full-on LG? Or any rumors on who it’ll be?

She's said that she'll appoint her permanent L.G. by the end of this week, & the short-list has been rumored to consist of State Senators Brian Benjamin & Jamaal Bailey of Harlem & the Bronx, respectively; outgoing Bronx Borough President Rubén Díaz Jr.; Brooklyn Assemblywoman Rodneyse Bichotte Hermelyn; & - depending on who's reporting it - Jumaane.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #951 on: August 24, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »

Williams also tweeted this, but I guess we just have to wait whom ultimately gets appointed. So far, her moves seem to confirm my earlier expressions she has more potential for successful governing than many expected.

Actually doubt Williams is chosen for lt. gov. One of the black lawmakers from NYC are more likely in my opinion.

I wonder whether there's actually going to be a real primary challenge for Hochul? If she maneuvers the state safely through the coming months, why would Dems replace the 1st female gov? Same actually happened with Gilibrand, who was expected to be challenged in 2010 but never actually was. Like Hochul, she was a rep from a conservative district and suddenly elevated to a position of power. The parallels are striking.

Possible she runs virtually unopposed, but I don't want to bet at it at this point. The parallels with Gillibrand are striking indeed, though I don't know, for some reason I don't like Gillibrand very much while I find Kathy Hochul very likeable.

Gilibrand strikes me as the mom who constantly complains to the PTA about peanut butter while Hochul feels like she doesn’t care if her kids smoke weed “just be smart about it”

What is this…based on? I see these kinds of comparisons of female politicians to different suburban mom archetypes of all the time and much less often for men.

Men (and I guess some women too) like placing female politicians and women in the public sphere into archetypes/boxes. I don't know if this is strictly cause of sexist thinking (though it's part of it) but it's very obvious. Think of how many people instantly compare Janet Yellen or Ruth Bader Ginsburg to their grandmothers, for instance.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #952 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »

Williams also tweeted this, but I guess we just have to wait whom ultimately gets appointed. So far, her moves seem to confirm my earlier expressions she has more potential for successful governing than many expected.

Actually doubt Williams is chosen for lt. gov. One of the black lawmakers from NYC are more likely in my opinion.

I wonder whether there's actually going to be a real primary challenge for Hochul? If she maneuvers the state safely through the coming months, why would Dems replace the 1st female gov? Same actually happened with Gilibrand, who was expected to be challenged in 2010 but never actually was. Like Hochul, she was a rep from a conservative district and suddenly elevated to a position of power. The parallels are striking.

Possible she runs virtually unopposed, but I don't want to bet at it at this point. The parallels with Gillibrand are striking indeed, though I don't know, for some reason I don't like Gillibrand very much while I find Kathy Hochul very likeable.

Gilibrand strikes me as the mom who constantly complains to the PTA about peanut butter while Hochul feels like she doesn’t care if her kids smoke weed “just be smart about it”

What is this…based on? I see these kinds of comparisons of female politicians to different suburban mom archetypes of all the time and much less often for men.

Men (and I guess some women too) like placing female politicians and women in the public sphere into archetypes/boxes. I don't know if this is strictly cause of sexist thinking (though it's part of it) but it's very obvious. Think of how many people instantly compare Janet Yellen or Ruth Bader Ginsburg to their grandmothers, for instance.

A wise politician though knows how to exploit this - see "Frau" Merkel.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2021, 01:21:57 PM »

A wise politician though knows how to exploit this - see "Frau" Merkel.

Definitely true! Smart politicians can use this to their advantage. Though I guess it's easier for those in parliamentary systems (Merkel, Thatcher, Golda Meir, Jacinda, etc.) than the US system.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »

Anyway, Hochul will digitally address the state at 3pm on ny.gov.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #955 on: August 24, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »

Anyway, Hochul will digitally address the state at 3pm on ny.gov.

It was a very good speech:

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #956 on: August 24, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »

I have to wonder, with Cuomo having resigned, will Zeldin stay in the Governor's race, or will drop out and run for reelection instead.

I think he was clearly running because he thought Cuomo wasn't going to resign and wasn't going to be removed from office. Now that he's gone, maybe he'll calculate that he'll have a better chance at winning reelection, even against Garbarino or Suozzi than statewide against Hochul.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #957 on: August 24, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »

I have to wonder, with Cuomo having resigned, will Zeldin stay in the Governor's race, or will drop out and run for reelection instead.

I think he was clearly running because he thought Cuomo wasn't going to resign and wasn't going to be removed from office. Now that he's gone, maybe he'll calculate that he'll have a better chance at winning reelection, even against Garbarino or Suozzi than statewide against Hochul.

Wasn't his district about to be eliminated or redrawn to a more blue leaning one? At this point, I think he stays in the race and loses to Hochul by 20-25 points.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #958 on: August 24, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »

Wasn't his district about to be eliminated or redrawn to a more blue leaning one? At this point, I think he stays in the race and loses to Hochul by 20-25 points.

Zeldin loses by 15-20 points, he carries Suffolk, but loses Nassau by 5-10 points....

The only Democrat who could lose to a Republican would be Curran or AOC
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #959 on: August 24, 2021, 05:06:50 PM »

Safe D
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #960 on: August 24, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »

I’m basing it on just my experience, and do it with men too. Gov. McMaster is like everyone’s least favorite racist grandparents, and his sister is Ivey. Newsom is like the evil dictator is a b movie sci-if…
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #961 on: August 24, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2021, 06:22:28 PM by brucejoel99 »

Fun fact: Hochul & ASC constitute the 1st all-woman executive branch (i.e., Gov./L.G. or POTUS/VP) in American history (although there's already been a past instance of the 1st-in-line to succeed a woman Gov. also being a woman: Napolitano/Brewer).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #962 on: August 24, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »

In related news, she's selected an L.G., but she's obviously saving the announcement of who for, well, the announcement:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #963 on: August 24, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »

An electrifying first 48 hours, I think she’s exceeded all of our expectations so far!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #964 on: August 25, 2021, 10:18:36 AM »

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #965 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »

Seems like a very solid choice, although I am disappointed Jumaane didn’t get it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #966 on: August 25, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »

Not directly Hochul-related, but the Cuomo coverup story continues:
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #967 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »

Not directly Hochul-related, but the Cuomo coverup story continues:

Certainly a good start to her tenure.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #968 on: August 25, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »

Seems like a very solid choice, although I am disappointed Jumaane didn’t get it.

Jumaane would have been a good gesture, but seems like Benjamin is a very solid choice who's been engaged in criminal justice reform and public housing since becoming a state senator. He also provides a good balance to the ticket. I wonder whether this makes a Williams' gubernatorial bid more likely? Not sure about that, though Hochul should be fine. I'd only consider James a real challenge. However, she's probably not going to run and seek reelection to her post for which she's a top choice.

Although it's still very early, it looks like she does have a great start. Don't want to brag, but I said for quite some time people tend to underestimate her. On the second spot she unfortunately didn't have the chance to be more visible.

More stuff on Cuomo and her:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #969 on: August 25, 2021, 03:01:08 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #970 on: August 25, 2021, 03:37:51 PM »

I think Jumaane Williams only runs for Governor if Hochul bombs in the next six months, or if AOC starts threatening to endorse a primary challenger, or threatens to run herself.

Otherwise, he'll sit out the primary and focus on a primary challenge against Eric Adams in 2025.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #971 on: August 25, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »

I think Jumaane Williams only runs for Governor if Hochul bombs in the next six months, or if AOC starts threatening to endorse a primary challenger, or threatens to run herself.

Otherwise, he'll sit out the primary and focus on a primary challenge against Eric Adams in 2025.

This....

Likely/Safe D....

NYGOP should look at other row offices, like Comptroller.

Tom DiNapoli is not well known because no one knows what a controller is.

Harry Wilson should run...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #972 on: August 26, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 01:40:03 PM by brucejoel99 »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: August 26, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 02:54:14 PM by President Johnson »

Absolutely amazing is this. Queen Purple heart

Edit:

And here's the announcement video for Benjamin's lt. governor nomination. Al Sharpton introduced the governor with kind words:

pikachu
United States

« Reply #974 on: August 26, 2021, 03:51:53 PM »

Jumaane would have been a good gesture, but seems like Benjamin is a very solid choice who's been engaged in criminal justice reform and public housing since becoming a state senator. He also provides a good balance to the ticket. I wonder whether this makes a Williams' gubernatorial bid more likely? Not sure about that, though Hochul should be fine. I'd only consider James a real challenge. However, she's probably not going to run and seek reelection to her post for which she's a top choice.

Although it's still very early, it looks like she does have a great start. Don't want to brag, but I said for quite some time people tend to underestimate her. On the second spot she unfortunately didn't have the chance to be more visible.

More stuff on Cuomo and her:

Hochul picking a downstate minority was expected + Benjamin isn’t a particularly intimidating electoral prospect (distant fourth in the comptroller race, and only third in his own Senate district…) so this shouldn’t have a major effect on anyone’s decisions on whether to run for governor or not.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies