NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:53:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112575 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »

Working Families Party wants Cuomo out.

Then the dumbasses shouldn't have nominated him in 2018.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »

Not even a year ago, his press conferences were given live nationwide coverage and he was being proclaimed a hero simply for being Governor of New York during a pandemic (Gotta love East Coast Bias).

I'm glad the day has come where the cards have come crashing down on Cuomo.

I watched one of his conferences with his brother on CNN. Ethically, that was just horrible for everyone involved at the time, especially CNN, and it looks worse now.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »

Kind of agree with this take - until the Speaker of the NY House is cajoled into opposing Cuomo, he's going nowhere. It will probably take the credible threat of impeachment to force a resignation.

Only 5 (out of 105) Democratic State Reps have come out for Cuomo's resignation so far. It's going to take a lot more than to convince Speaker Heastie to bury Cuomo.
Could the state house dems revolt and impeach with the gop?

That would be one route - but I'm not sure how feasible it is, I'm afraid. Firstly, the Dems have a supermajority, so at least a third of Dems would be required to join the GOP in that rebelllion.

Secondly, I'm not sure how much power the Speaker has over bringing motions to the floor - which could be key in any impeachment effort.

Would be interested if our NY posters know any more...
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2021, 03:54:45 PM »

Does anyone think this is a potential setup?

What, like everyone conspiring to force out of power the governor who made his name in white-collar financial crimes on the eve of the outbreak of the Global Financial Crisis, and having him replaced with someone literally blind?

Yes, with Eliot Spitzer, a lot of people felt that was the case....a lot of people....
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2021, 08:33:09 AM »

Does anyone think this is a potential setup?

What, like everyone conspiring to force out of power the governor who made his name in white-collar financial crimes on the eve of the outbreak of the Global Financial Crisis, and having him replaced with someone literally blind?

Yes, with Eliot Spitzer, a lot of people felt that was the case....a lot of people....

And yet the New York-centric national press really have never pursued that angle. Funny that.

I tell you though, a Greek tragedist would have loved that Paterson was blind. That was too perfect.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »

Since New York D's keep voting for Cuomo every primary season since he botched the 2010 Redistricting, let them have him.

If Cuomo was the Gov in Cali he would be recalled and wouldnt survive  in IL, other D state, Cuomo is a terrible Gov and there were plenty of D's challenging him in the primaries

He isn't Progressive
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »

My take is Cuomo will at least stay on until the AG report is presented, which I expect to be devastating. Cuomo's opponents shouldn't hope on the nursing home investigation, I don't expect that one to be finished any time soon. That said, if more women come forward, he's probably going down / pushed out before James has her report published.

I'm disappointed not more high-profile Dems speak out and publically demand his resignation.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 11:11:43 AM by StateBoiler »

My take is Cuomo will at least stay on until the AG report is presented, which I expect to be devastating. Cuomo's opponents shouldn't hope on the nursing home investigation, I don't expect that one to be finished any time soon. That said, if more women come forward, he's probably going down / pushed out before James has her report published.

I'm disappointed not more high-profile Dems speak out and publically demand his resignation.

Why do people expect ethics and principles and the like out of politicians? How many times do you want to disappoint yourself before you learn? The currency of politics is not dollars, it is power. To have power you have to be on the team and follow the team's lead, unless you go create your own team and succeed in overthrowing the establishment, which happens almost never. You want to be ethical and principled, great and I'm glad for you, but you have no power then so come down and join me on the Libertarian Party.

Andrew Cuomo in the 2018 Democratic primary was the exact same person then that he is now. It's not like this is all coming out of left field, he was an asshole that knew where all the bodies were buried then, and he is still those things now. He still won the Democratic primary. And the Working Families Party still chose to nominate him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2021, 07:13:33 PM »

It's wild to me that even if you solely consider just the politics of this, NY is (& NY Dems in particular are) basically rolling over for somebody so mediocre as Cuomo when they could have just about literally anybody better they want as their Governor:

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »

Honestly, only having 65% of Dems approving is a terrible number. If you look at the approval of basically every other Dem official, they get 90+% support. Even semi-controversial figures like Newsom get 90+% among Dems.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2021, 09:37:07 PM »

Honestly, only having 65% of Dems approving is a terrible number. If you look at the approval of basically every other Dem official, they get 90+% support. Even semi-controversial figures like Newsom get 90+% among Dems.

That's cause Newsom hate looks/is much worse outside California, whereas Dems here either don't care enough, understand his predicament or would rather have him over an alternative/republican
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2021, 09:40:34 PM »

He's done.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2021, 09:45:00 PM »

That's what we said last time, albeit legislative leadership has now finally drawn its line in the sand - at least in terms of the sexual harassment allegations - as to what it'll take (just 1 more) for them to push him out:

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »

That's what we said last time, albeit legislative leadership has now finally drawn its line in the sand - at least in terms of the sexual harassment allegations - as to what it'll take (just 1 more) for them to push him out:

The NY Democratic Party has a habit of sticking up for sexual creeps all the way to criminals, but I just have a gut feeling that being a sexual creep AND allowing your aides to alter nursing home death statistics to save face politically (during the worst pandemic in recent human history) will put him over the edge.

That or Jay Jacobs really doesn't care if this state flips red. My money is seriously shifting to the GOP candidate pulling off a massive upset.
Babeuf

« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »

The NY Democratic Party has a habit of sticking up for sexual creeps all the way to criminals, but I just have a gut feeling that being a sexual creep AND allowing your aides to alter nursing home death statistics to save face politically (during the worst pandemic in recent human history) will put him over the edge.

That or Jay Jacobs really doesn't care if this state flips red. My money is seriously shifting to the GOP candidate pulling off a massive upset.
Jay Jacobs will stick by Cuomo to the very end. He's the most loyal Cuomo hack. It will be the legislative leaders who end this, if anyone.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »

Jay Jacobs will stick by Cuomo to the very end. He's the most loyal Cuomo hack. It will be the legislative leaders who end this, if anyone.

Someone needs to, or (insert as horrible of a candidate as Nick Langworthy wants to run) will be our next Governor.

I'm predicting Janice Dean, ESPECIALLY after this reveal, but Zeldin might jump on the opportunity given how easy of a win it'd be.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:43 PM »

Do you think NY can flip red in 2022, despite it being a Biden midterm? Who can win out of the NYGOP? Randy Levine? Malliotakis?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2021, 09:56:59 PM »

The NYDP needs to cut him loose at this point unless he agrees not to run for re-election. He’s cooked.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2021, 09:57:49 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 10:01:29 PM by MAGugh »

Do you think NY can flip red in 2022, despite it being a Biden midterm? Who can win out of the NYGOP? Randy Levine? Malliotakis?

Mike Carpinelli and Derrick Gibson are nobodies if still running at all.

Rep. Lee Zeldin and Rep. Tom Reed have expressed interest, but I don't see them forfeiting House seats and worsening the GOP's challenge of taking back the House just to get a one-up on Cuomo. Likewise with Rep. Elise Stefanik.

The moment would be really good for Chris Gibson or Harry Wilson, however. I don't think they're the strongest candidates, but, I could see them potentially flipping it.

Janice Dean, however, is the perfect candidate. A woman (post-sexual harassment allegations) who was directly affected by the nursing home scandal? All she has to do is calm the Fox News rhetoric a bit and run as a centrist, and my money is with her.  

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2021, 09:58:30 PM »

Someone needs to, or (insert as horrible of a candidate as Nick Langworthy wants to run) will be our next Governor.

I'm predicting Janice Dean, ESPECIALLY after this reveal, but Zeldin might jump on the opportunity given how easy of a win it'd be.

Zeldin can't win.....he'd supercharge Black and Latino turnout----Dean is too Karenish, it has to be someone who can win both wings of the GOP and appeal to Black and Latino voters--Dean, Zeldin don't think police brutality is a thing
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »

Zeldin can't win.....he'd supercharge Black and Latino turnout----Dean is too Karenish, it has to be someone who can win both wings of the GOP and appeal to Black and Latino voters--Dean, Zeldin don't think police brutality is a thing

Calling it now - NYGOP will be running 30-second ads of Dean telling her story about the nursing home family member death over some sad music, and that will win people over. She brings herself to the center and disavows some of the Fox News rhetoric she pushes? That's a candidate that can beat Cuomo.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2021, 11:55:28 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 10:23:37 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Sorry MAGugh, but I'll believe Janice Dean as a serious threat to Cuomo's (Or whichever Dem is nominated) electoral chances when I see it.

This is just like the Newsom Recall/re-election. Yeah you don't like them, but I'd put way more money on a Democrat primaring (in this case) Cuomo & becoming Governor vs. a Republican making any serious inroads
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »

Calling it now - NYGOP will be running 30-second ads of Dean telling her story about the nursing home family member death over some sad music, and that will win people over. She brings herself to the center and disavows some of the Fox News rhetoric she pushes? That's a candidate that can beat Cuomo.

Keith Wofford might be the closing thing you’re describing. To win New York you’d need democrats and democrats aren’t voting fir a fox persona 
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2021, 05:46:52 AM »

Keith Wofford might be the closing thing you’re describing. To win New York you’d need democrats and democrats aren’t voting fir a fox persona  

I do love the idea that millions of New York voters are guaranteed to never know she was ever on Fox News because of a single TV ad and a half-assed "disavowal". Hell, I've got a feeling the latter would sink her primary bid more than give her a leg up in the general
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies