So uh...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:40:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  So uh...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So uh...  (Read 1749 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2005, 06:41:09 PM »

I'm a moose with out a party...where in heck do I go?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »

Let's restart the AFDNC
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »

You might fit, hilariously enough, in the Bull Moose Party (it's one of the minor parties with like 2 members, more-or-less a centrist hawk party).

Basically, all the 'centrist' parties now are small - like the Bull Mooses or the Civic Alliance. They may grow or fail. You might also fit with the Monster Raving Loonies (they're policies consist mainly of being pro-cake, pro-hug, pro-smiley, and being overall vaguely libertarian).

Else, you've got the ACA, Christian Democrats, ILP, and the Social Democrats.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 07:04:20 PM »

I think the centrists around here are going to have to decide what their priorities are, and whether or not we are willing to fight for them.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 07:05:24 PM »

I think the centrists around here are going to have to decide what their priorities are, and whether or not we are willing to fight for them.

I agree, I feel somewhat defenseless at the moment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:07:11 PM »

I'm thinking of gutting and relaunching the Civic Alliance and reorientating it away from the libertarian centre to the plain old centre. It's platform was pretty centrist anyway and just needed some more input.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »

I agree, I feel somewhat defenseless at the moment.

If we don't stand up and fight, all Atlasians will be defenseless without a helping hand to protect their right to opportunity.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:08:01 PM »

I'm thinking of gutting and relaunching the Civic Alliance and reorientating it away from the libertarian centre to the plain old centre. It's platform was pretty centrist anyway and just needed some more input.

I think what you have found is that there are already 4,592 libertarian parties around here (slight exaggeration) and thus no need for a new one.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 07:11:06 PM »

I think what you have found is that there are already 4,592 libertarian parties around here (slight exaggeration) and thus no need for a new one.

Exactly.

Here's the Wiki article on it for an idea of where it stood
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Civic_Alliance_Party
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 07:12:18 PM »

Exactly.

I don't see anything in there about supporting the minimum wage, standing up for workers, fighting every day for social justice, etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 07:15:22 PM »

Exactly.

I don't see anything in there about supporting the minimum wage, standing up for workers, fighting every day for social justice, etc.

It was a selective article and I didnt get much chance to consolidate a platform.

'We stand for motivation, giving people and hand up not just a hand out. Setting people free, respecting their rights, letting them use their potential to soar as high as they can, but if their wings are burnt in the attempt, let the state provide a safe and secure landing. We want to uphold respect for the community, not just your town or your neighbourhood, but society itself. It is important to respect those whom you disagree with, to allow a strong and healthy Atlasia to survive. We want to see a new respect for educational skills. We need a new 'get up and go' ethos rewarding hard work and ending the cycle of poverty and ignorance fulled by lack of ambition.'

This was our 'mission statement' so to speak, but as I said, it needed work
WiseGuy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 07:17:16 PM »

Join the ACA.  If you can fit in with the GOP, we're pretty much the forum version.  Plus, we need more moderates/Libertarians in the party Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 07:21:30 PM »

Join the ACA.  If you can fit in with the GOP, we're pretty much the forum version.  Plus, we need more moderates/Libertarians in the party Wink

Then call yourselves 'Republicans'.  That's a novel idea.
WiseGuy

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »

Join the ACA.  If you can fit in with the GOP, we're pretty much the forum version.  Plus, we need more moderates/Libertarians in the party Wink

We did, and everyone yelled at us to change it.  Besides, what's wrong with Atlasian Conservative Alliance?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 07:33:53 PM »

How is that?

Boss liked it when he was the AFDNC chair and people didn't have real choices in what party they could be in.  Don't mind him.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 07:34:51 PM »

We did, and everyone yelled at us to change it.  Besides, what's wrong with Atlasian Conservative Alliance?

It doesn't have the same ring to it.  A newcomer comes by, and you say JOIN THE ACA, and he says "WTF I HATE THE ACLU" and we run around in circles.  the word "Republican" wouldn't cause any confusion, is shorter, and just plain makes more sense.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »

Yay, the center is defenseless!  Bono, Daniel, ready the armies, we’re striking now, we shall be victorious in defeating the pitiful people who want to protect the common man, muahahahahahahah!!!  We shall destroy America by making everyone stupid and jobless!  We will destroy education, health care, social security, welfare, the minimum wage, ect. ect. ect.  And you can’t stop us!

Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 07:51:48 PM »

Yay, the center is defenseless!  Bono, Daniel, ready the armies, we’re striking now, we shall be victorious in defeating the pitiful people who want to protect the common man, muahahahahahahah!!!  We shall destroy America by making everyone stupid and jobless!  We will destroy education, health care, social security, welfare, the minimum wage, ect. ect. ect.  And you can’t stop us!

Wink

West Atlasia's revenge Wink Viva la revolution!

Kidding of course.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 08:33:25 PM »

There really is no reason to have a centrist party at all.  There isn't one in real life - people have to either try and tolerate the fringe wings of one of the two parties, or just stay out of them all together.

We don't need one here either.  I'm a centrist, and I like to think I've done quite well without a party (at the risk of sounding pompous).  The current longest serving senator has also been an independent for almost the entirety of his tenure, and he's also one of the most highly approved of.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 01:33:15 AM »

There really is no reason to have a centrist party at all.  There isn't one in real life - people have to either try and tolerate the fringe wings of one of the two parties, or just stay out of them all together.

I realize you are not a big fan of political parties but sure you can see that people who stay out of the major parties get run over in American politics.  We don't need to get run over in Atlasian politics too.  At the moment, that is exactly what is happening.

We don't need one here either.  I'm a centrist, and I like to think I've done quite well without a party (at the risk of sounding pompous).  The current longest serving senator has also been an independent for almost the entirety of his tenure, and he's also one of the most highly approved of.

The vast majority of our elected officials have been members of Parties or at least had the tacit support of particular parties.  It has only been since this horrible time of lacking a strong centrist party that we have failed to lead Atlasia against the dangers of extremism.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 01:35:31 AM »

I respect you for admitting what you are doing.  Its not even worth you hiding it because only a handful of folks seem to care anymore.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »

I realize you are not a big fan of political parties but sure you can see that people who stay out of the major parties get run over in American politics.  We don't need to get run over in Atlasian politics too.  At the moment, that is exactly what is happening.

Not really.  In American politics, perhaps, but not particularly in Atlasia.  Perhaps the difference is that one country has a population of 300 million and the other has about 200.  Because of this, we're much more individual-focused.

Also, just because somebody happens to be in the ILP or ACA, that still doesn't tell us anything about their specific beliefs.  And given that none of them really care about party discipline in any way, it's not like we can expect their members to even support the basic tenets of the party or vote for their own candidates.

The vast majority of our elected officials have been members of Parties or at least had the tacit support of particular parties.  It has only been since this horrible time of lacking a strong centrist party that we have failed to lead Atlasia against the dangers of extremism.

I have some news that may hurt you to hear.  People don't usually care what party somebody is in when they vote for them.  As I've already said, our small community means that we're much more focused on individuals that their party label.  For that reason, they really serve no purpose at all around here.

As for 'fighting against extremism', again, there is no particular one party that is responsible for any of this, but singular individuals working either as independents or independently from their parties.  And seeing as how they seem to have been a success in your eyes, there's nothing to stop you from working along the same lines.

It's not that hard to think for yourself.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 11:57:42 AM »

Not really.  In American politics, perhaps, but not particularly in Atlasia.  Perhaps the difference is that one country has a population of 300 million and the other has about 200.  Because of this, we're much more individual-focused.

Also, just because somebody happens to be in the ILP or ACA, that still doesn't tell us anything about their specific beliefs.  And given that none of them really care about party discipline in any way, it's not like we can expect their members to even support the basic tenets of the party or vote for their own candidates.

I have some news that may hurt you to hear.  People don't usually care what party somebody is in when they vote for them.  As I've already said, our small community means that we're much more focused on individuals that their party label.  For that reason, they really serve no purpose at all around here.

As for 'fighting against extremism', again, there is no particular one party that is responsible for any of this, but singular individuals working either as independents or independently from their parties.  And seeing as how they seem to have been a success in your eyes, there's nothing to stop you from working along the same lines.

It's not that hard to think for yourself.

Joe,  I realize you are hostile to political parties and perhaps hostile to me in general.  And that's your right. But I believe that Parties unite people of common beliefs and most Atlasians see them as necessary.  They also help folks pool their skills together.  For example, I create banners and graphics.  Someone else might be good at PMing or IMing people to get out the vote.  Someone else might be good at writing policy or legislation.  Pooling resources makes a stronger force than what individuals can do alone.  Being a member of a Party does not indicate that you cannot think for yourself and I think that Atlasians who are members of parties would take great offense to your assumption.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 08:16:33 AM »

I'm a moose with out a party...where in heck do I go?
Society for the Prevention of Cruel Treatment of Animals.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 12:35:42 PM »

don't join ever one here are jerks
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length