The war on Huawei
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:32:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The war on Huawei
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The war on Huawei  (Read 461 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »

Described nobody is talking about this: the first casualty of the new US/China Great Game looks to be Huawei. Google, Intel, Panasonic, Qualcomm and Broadcom have all announced that the company, which previously looked like it would become the biggest smartphone company on earth, will be blocked from buying/using their hardware/software. This follows moves by the American government to place the company on the Restricted Entity List and pretty much kills off any chance the company has of existing outside PRC (especially the ban on using Android); despite its rapid growth in recent years.

The US is in a bit of a conundrum here. It objectively does not want China to be the world leader in advanced technology, as is stated by the communist party of China themselves (who have a target to control 90% of the market for robotics, biotech, AI etc), but it comes across as  bit sour grapes to say "you aren't allowed to be better than us". Even more annoyingly for the US elite, America's allies refuse to play ball with attempts to shanghai Britain, India, Germany etc into banning Huawei's 5G technology being a bit of a disaster. So the answer I guess is to go nuclear, because on the face of it this move against the company does not exactly help anyone out economically.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »

It's bad news for Huawei, but I suppose good news for people who want robots to devastate China. Whatever the disputes of politicians, not everything should be about politics. There are some people who just want to build the best product, and do business, who happen to be born in the wrong country. Thus their lives are ruined by foolish politicians who want to fight.

In any case the US is proving that it is still the gatekeeper of the global technology and market network. Any country that wants to compete has to stay on its good side. There is a lot of talk about tech autarky in China now but I don't think it will work, as the whole world is on the US network already, and it has a lot of parts, not just OS or chip or phone or political relationships, but all connected.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »

It's bad news for Huawei, but I suppose good news for people who want robots to devastate China.

Beet, you do know when I said this:

a utopian dream: the american government reduced to an austere nub to pay for a fleet of terminator robots to devastate China

I was not actually endorsing such a plan, but making fun of HillGoose's war plans? I mean, I thought the sarcasm was obvious but I get the feeling you think I actually want robots to destroy China?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »

As Kissinger said about the Iran-Iraq War, it's a shame the American and Chinese tech sectors can't both DIAF.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:39:59 PM »

I was not actually endorsing such a plan, but making fun of HillGoose's war plans? I mean, I thought the sarcasm was obvious but I get the feeling you think I actually want robots to destroy China?

Oh. Sarcasm doesn't come across easily online and that kind of sentiment is not exactly rare these days. I apologize for misinterpreting you though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »

The US cannot let China beat them in the 5G race
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: