When was the last time Republicans won the Black Vote in any state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:58:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  When was the last time Republicans won the Black Vote in any state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When was the last time Republicans won the Black Vote in any state?  (Read 718 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2019, 04:34:27 PM »

I know that Democrats in current times have been easily able to score 50 state sweeps in the Black vote every election cycle. When was the last time the Democrats failed to take a 50 state sweep in the Black Vote?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »

I'd say 1960. "Nonwhites" voted 32% for Nixon that year (according to Gallup), and Atlanta's Black precincts went for Nixon, so it's quite possible Black Georgians overall voted for Nixon.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »

I'd say 1960. "Nonwhites" voted 32% for Nixon that year (according to Gallup), and Atlanta's Black precincts went for Nixon, so it's quite possible Black Georgians overall voted for Nixon.

But how many black people were actually voting in those precincts in 1960? voter suppression was rampant back then.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »

I would say 1960 as well. The black Protestant church, which was the most influential institution in black America at that time, was filled with Protestant ministers who disliked Kennedy’s Catholicism. This also included Martin Luther King Sr. Also...Kennedy didnt have a strong Civil Rights record when he ran in 1960:

Kennedy offered no strong civil rights record, as most biographers have noted. In the wake of his failed bid for the vice presidential nomination at the 1956 Democratic National Convention, Kennedy in fact strove to bolster his standing among powerful southern Democrats by steering a ruthlessly political course, seeking, in the words of Robert Dallek, “a strategy for accommodating all factions of the Democrat party on civil rights.” Doing so left Kennedy at best equivocating on the 1957 civil rights bill, at worst pandering to his party’s most extreme segregationist elements. His meetings and alliances with segregationist southerners, including a breakfast meeting with Gov. John Patterson of Alabama and the president of the Alabama White Citizens Council Sam Englehardt, made most black voters wary of his civil rights commitment. His naming the southern Democrat Lyndon Johnson as his running mate raised more suspicions.

http://archive.oah.org/special-issues/teaching/2008_12/article.pdf

But how many black people were actually voting in those precincts in 1960? voter suppression was rampant back then.

Somewhere around 30% of blacks were registered to vote in GA pre 1965 VRA

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »

I'm not aware of the last time it happened in a presidential race, but I believe the last time it happened in a statewide race with a significant black population (excluding those candidates who were unopposed, like Jeff Sessions) was Tom Kean in 1985.

Bill Weld may have come close, but I can't find any evidence. Charlie Baker narrowly lost black voters last year.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »

Nixon probably did carry the black vote in a few states in 1960.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies