Who was the rightful winner of the 1876 election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was the rightful winner of the 1876 election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who was the rightful winner of the 1876 presidential election?
Rutherford B. Hayes

Samuel J. Tilden

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Who was the rightful winner of the 1876 election?  (Read 10026 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »

Inspired by Boss Tweed's thread.......
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:24:04 PM »

Peter Cooper.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 05:12:15 PM »

Just about anyone will tell you it was Tilden
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 07:22:58 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2005, 09:19:44 PM by Senator PBrunsel »

Hayes.

Those three states were corrupted by both parties, but Hayes won the popular vote in each.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 09:18:10 PM »

There's no way Hayes won the popular vote in all 3 "disputed" states.  The Electoral Commission's 8-7 GOP-Dem breakdown paralleled the outcome of their vote on the winner - not one commission member voted for the other party's candidate, solidifying that politics and hackery, and not a true investigation into the vote counts, determined who won.

But the so-called Compromise of 1877 that settled the election (as far as choosing who would take office) proved that this whole affair was the most fraudulant attack on democracy this country has seen.

In the Compromise, which occurred in the back room of a Washington hotel whose name currently escapes me, a group of Southern Democrats in Congress agreed to uphold Hayes as the winner in exchange for Republicans' promises to end Reconstruction and allow the South to oppress blacks for another 80 or so years.

To me, probably the most underhanded treatment of Americans by their government.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 09:25:11 PM »

I find it very hard to believe that Hayes really won 3 southern states, all isolated from each other, including South Carolina.  The Deep South just didn't break to the Republicans back then.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I remember Hayes compromising to end reconstuction if the commission awarded him the election, or something to that effect.

Simply, if the will of the people wasn't violated, my Governor would have been President.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 11:21:35 PM »

I find it very hard to believe that Hayes really won 3 southern states, all isolated from each other, including South Carolina.  The Deep South just didn't break to the Republicans back then.

Yeah, just look at the 1876 map.  South is solid red, with LA, SC, and FL as lone blue islands within.  It's suspicious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Exactly.  See my post above.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:35 PM »

To me, probably the most underhanded treatment of Americans by their government.

By far, by far
WI_Dem
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »

I think SC may have voted Republican in 1876, but not LA and FL. SC had a huge black population that would have voted for Hayes, but LA and FL weren't as heavily black as SC and I doubt Hayes would have collected any southern white votes at the time. Sorry to put it in these racial terms, but it is important to understanding this election.

I have always believed Tilden won this election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »

I think SC may have voted Republican in 1876, but not LA and FL. SC had a huge black population that would have voted for Hayes, but LA and FL weren't as heavily black as SC and I doubt Hayes would have collected any southern white votes at the time. Sorry to put it in these racial terms, but it is important to understanding this election.

I have always believed Tilden won this election.
Florida and Louisiana were both about 50% Black at the time.
If there's one state where the 1876 election's result is heavily fraudulent even by the standards of the day, it's Mississippi.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »

The rightful winner, Tilden was.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »

Hayes.

Those three states were corrupted by both parties, but Hayes won the popular vote in each.

^^^^^^^
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

Tilden

Damn Yankees and Carpetbaggers, but at least we struck a deal and got them out of the South the next year.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »

Tilden was the rightful victor. He may or may not have won the votes of the three southern states, but he certainly did receive one vote from Oregon.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 04:13:50 PM »

Tilden

Damn Yankees and Carpetbaggers, but at least we struck a deal and got them out of the South the next year.
And that has been the South's ruin for the next (economically: ) 69 / (morally: ) 88 years.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 07:23:38 PM »

Tilden was the rightful victor. He may or may not have won the votes of the three southern states, but he certainly did receive one vote from Oregon.

That one vote still boggles my mind how it was cast. Governor Grover appinted a Democratic elector who voted for Tilden, but it never was counted. That is the only way anyone could argue Tilden won the race, though he overwhelmingly lost the state of Oregon to Hayes.

Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »

Florida and Louisiana were both about 50% Black at the time.

The total population may have been, but among voters, it would have been far lower.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 09:09:22 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2005, 09:20:12 PM by Emsworth »

That one vote still boggles my mind how it was cast.
Hayes won the Oregon popular vote; thus, originally, all three Oregon electors were Republican. However, one Oregon elector was a government employee, and was therefore ineligible to be a part of the Electoral College. The Governor replaced the ineligible Republican elector with a Democratic elector.

The way the Electoral Commission handles this controversy is truly mind-boggling. For Florida, South Carolina, and Louisiana--where the electoral votes were certified for Hayes--the Commission said that it would not second-guess the official certificate of the state governments. For Oregon--where one electoral vote was certified for Tilden--the Commission said that it would second-guess the official certificate. This inconsistency, I think, was clearly the result of partisanship.

This was, of course, only a technicality; Hayes was the "fair" winner of all three Oregon electors.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »

That one vote still boggles my mind how it was cast. Governor Grover appinted a Democratic elector who voted for Tilden, but it never was counted. That is the only way anyone could argue Tilden won the race, though he overwhelmingly lost the state of Oregon to Hayes.
Electors ran as individuals, though pledged to a party.  One of the Republican electors was a postmaster, and ineligble to be an elector.  So the governor certified the election of the 4th place candidate (the top Democrat).  It wasn't a particularly lopsided vote.

The 2 remaining Republican electors met and accepted the resignation of the 3rd electors, and then appointed him to fill the vacancy (he had since resigned his postmastership).

[/quote]
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »

Tilden.

By the way, it's Samuel J. Tilden, not Samuel G. Tilden... An easy typo, that my Anal Retentive self needed to clear up.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 08:07:19 AM »

Tilden. As if a Republican could have carried, fair and square, Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina back then in a popular vote

Dave
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »

Tilden. As if a Republican could have carried, fair and square, Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina back then in a popular vote

Dave

I don't know, Grant did it. Those also were Republican controlled states. The Solid South was a product of the 1880s, not the 1870s.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »

Dave

I don't know, Grant did it. Those also were Republican controlled states. The Solid South was a product of the 1880s, not the 1870s.
Grant did it for the same reasons that Hayes stole them.  Disenfranchisement of white voters.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »

People seem to be over-looking the wide-spread disenfranchisement of Republican voters (of both races) all over the South at that time. The way I see it, both sides cheated the hell out of each other in different ways, particularly in the Southern states, so there is no way of determining who "should" have won. Since Hayes did win, I voted for him.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03:01 PM »

No way would the Deep South have been voting for the party of Abe Lincoln back then had things been fair and square. However, the GOP seems to have always had significant support in the Upper South

The thought of those states, especially South Carolina, where I believe (though I may be wrong) all counties voted to secede. Florida, of course, was sparsely populated back then

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies