Why does life begin at conception and not at ejaculation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:38:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does life begin at conception and not at ejaculation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why does life begin at conception and not at ejaculation?  (Read 3280 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »

Sperm are people too.  We need to start restricting non-coitus ejaculation.

End masturbation now.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »

If you're logically consistent and believe that a fertilized egg is a person, it follows that sperm would be considered a person too.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2019, 05:46:47 PM by RoboWop »

Both of these posts are extremely stupid, even by your side's low standards.

Why is flour not a cake? Why is oxygen not water? Why is a letter not a variable?

It lacks some other element or characteristic that makes it essentially so. Did you sleep through sex ed and biology class?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2019, 07:12:57 PM by NYGurl »

Why is flour not a cake? Why is oxygen not water? Why is a letter not a variable?

It lacks some other element or characteristic that makes it essentially so. Did you sleep through sex ed and biology class?

Is cake batter in a tray a cake? Is a cake that has been in an oven one second a cake? It has all the necessary ingredients.

Likewise, one could say that an undeveloped zygote lacks many of the elements and charicteristics that make it essentially a baby - limbs, viability, full brain function, etc.

If you're going to say that

It's perfectly reasonable to ask if

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest arguments I've seen pro-choicers give on this issue. Even when I was still pro-choice, this argument was so bad that I never used it.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 06:21:14 PM »

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest arguments I've seen pro-choicers give on this issue. Even when I was still pro-choice, this argument was so bad that I never used it.

Go on.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »

If life begins at ejaculation then that would make some people cannibals
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »

Monty Python said it best:  Devil

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »

Good to hear you've officially abandoned the pretense of being favorite women's rights to fit in with your new Chums. Disgusting, but entirely predictable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2019, 07:13:26 PM by NYGurl »

Is cake batter in a tray a cake? Is a cake that has been in an oven one second a cake? It has all the necessary ingredients.

Likewise, one could say that an undeveloped zygote lacks many of the elements and charicteristics that make it essentially a baby - limbs, viability, full brain function, etc.

If you're going to say that

It's perfectly reasonable to ask if

Cannot recommend this post hard enough. And the heads exploding without actually providing a response by The Usual Suspects is oh so telling.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 06:45:40 PM »

Presumably because such arguments are based in religious faith, and as such need no justification grounded in observable reality.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »

Presumably because such arguments are based on religious faith, and as such need no justification grounded in observable reality.

Math is a religion, too.

Did you guy know that
1) Pizza and tacos are a sandwich
2) Cereal is a soup
3) Thanksgiving stuffing is a salad
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »

Presumably because such arguments are based on religious faith, and as such need no justification grounded in observable reality.

Math is a religion, too.

Did you guy know that
1) Pizza and tacos are a sandwich
2) Cereal is a soup
3) Thanksgiving stuffing is a salad

That is all correct except for the pizza.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 06:53:48 PM »

Good to hear you've officially abandoned the pretense of being favorite women's rights to fit in with your new Chums. Disgusting, but entirely predictable.

Good to hear that you've never taken a basic biology course.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »

Baby steps (no pun intended). Once Roe v. Wade is overturned, sperm will start being advocated for. Like with fetuses, they are easy to advocate for since politicians don't have to deal with any nuance as with advocating for the rights of certain groups people who already have been born. All you have to do is say "life is sacred! Stop killing babies!" and you can win an election with such scare-tactics manipulating the feeble minds of so many.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »

A cake exist for the purpose to be eaten, so I'm not sure it's a good analogy here unless you're main interest is anthropophagic cuisine.

What does it mean for a baby to have "full brain function"?   A baby does not have either the brain function or independence appropriate to an adult in his/her twenties.  The baby has the functions appropriate to their stage of development.  It is the same with every other stage of development.  That doesn't mean they aren't a member of the human species.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 07:00:06 PM »

What do you say to a identical twin who budded off a few days later? She wasn't normally conceived and there was no way of knowing in the hours after the nasty went down that they were two kids. There was apparently only one. Only when you divorce yourself from what we normally can perceive does any of this make sense. Maybe there is a choir of angels that sing and a soul magically enters the cells and the membrane of the ovum is penetrated. We have no way of knowing this at this time, however. We probably will never truly know even if it is happening.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »

If this is an easy argument to refute biologically, then why don't you do so? You've just said "this is a dumb argument" twice with nothing to back it up. What about a fertilized egg constitutes inviolable and legal "life" that does not apply to individual gametes?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 07:09:25 PM »

If this is an easy argument to refute biologically, then why don't you do so? You've just said "this is a dumb argument" twice with nothing to back it up. What about a fertilized egg constitutes inviolable and legal "life" that does not apply to individual gametes?

The zygote is a genetically complete organism of the species H. sapiens, and with proper care and nourishment can eventually grow into an adult of the species. The sperm and the egg individually are just cells, and unless they combine and form a zygote will invariably wither and die as such.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »

The zygote is a genetically complete organism of the species H. sapiens, and with proper care and nourishment can eventually grow into an adult of the species. The sperm and the egg individually are just cells, and unless they combine and form a zygote will invariably wither and die as such.

Fertility clinics have thrown out millions of zygotes without a peep from pro-lifers.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »

If life begins at ejaculation then that would make some people cannibals

Oh good Lord!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 07:17:09 PM »

Fertility clinics have thrown out millions of zygotes without a peep from pro-lifers.

You really don't know a thing about the pro-life movement, do you?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »

It is a dumb argument because basic biology will tell you a zygote is not the same as individual gametes.

There literally is no need to have a discussion on this because comparing the two is a factually incorrect argument.

Some photos, because apparently people need a visual:

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »

You really don't know a thing about the pro-life movement, do you?

So these anti-abortion laws being pushed also ban fertility clinics?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 07:21:37 PM »

In my science classes and biology, I learned that plants are "living."
Am I committing murder (or another type of wrong) when I mow my lawn?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies