LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:44:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum)  (Read 5917 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
« edited: June 15, 2019, 12:40:10 AM by Councilor Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Changing my vote to aye, as I can't really think of anything considered a violent crime, that is not listed here
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2019, 06:26:06 AM »

Abstain
Dipper Josh

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »

Aye
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »

Nay
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »

Aye.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »

The vote on Amendment L 2:55 by tack50 to LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence is now closed

Aye: 4 (tack50, SNJC, Dipper Josh, Pyro)
Abstain: 1 (Griffin)
Nay: 2 (lfromnj, thr33)
Not voting: 1 (Zaybay)

So the amendment passes
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »

We have certainly done a lot for this bill, though I wonder if it is time to send it to a final vote or not.

Any further statments and ideas?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »

I agree that we should go for a final vote
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2019, 12:46:46 PM »

Violent crimes include..."agression"
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »

After a quick research, I can reach 2 conclusions:

1: What I meant for agression is already covered by "aggravated assault" for the most part.

2: There apparently does exist a crime of agression, even if its definition is nowhere near what I thought. I guess if anyone ever starts an offensive war for no reason they won't be able to have guns in Lincoln?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_aggression

If I felt like nitpicking I would remove that, but I don't want to wait almost another week to get to a final vote.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »

Councillors, a FINAL vote is now open on the following legislation

A bill to Exterminate Gun Violence

SECTION I: New regulations
1. The sale of any automatic firearms  is hereby prohibited in the Region of Lincoln.

1. The practice of concealed carry is hereby banned in all states and territories under the jurisdiction of Lincoln

2. Background checks shall be conducted by the reinstated Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing (BFSL), as established by federal regulations on gun related background checks.

3. All residents of Lincoln convicted of a violent crime shall be banned from purchasing a gun or firearm for 15 years after the end of their sentence. Violent crimes include: rape, murder, homicide, robbery, agression, aggravated assault, car theft, domestic violence, kidnapping, terrorism, terrorist threats, burglary and belonging to a drug cartel, gang or another violent illegal organization.

4. The Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 is hereby repealed

SECTION II: Reinstating the Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018

1. The Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 is hereby reinstated with the following amendments

Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018

Section 1: Gun Licensing

i. A license shall be required to purchase and carry a firearm in the region of Lincoln.
ii. This license shall be required to be renewed every five years.
iii. There shall be three categories of gun licenses: Class A for handguns, Class B for rifles and shotguns, and Class C for assault rifles or other semi-automatic weapons.
iv. To obtain a Class A license, a citizen must not have committed a violent crime, must have proof of passing a handgun training and safety exam, and must be at least 18 years of age.
v. To obtain a Class B license, a citizen must meet Class A requirements as well as have not committed a felony, except for those only regarding finance, have proof of passing a shotgun/rifle training and safety exam, and pass a mental health test issued by a psychologist.
vi. To obtain a Class C license, a citizen must meet Class B requirements as well as having proof of a reasonable cause for having a Class C license, having proof of passing an assault weapon training and safety exam, and be at least 21 years of age.
vii. The testing materials for the exams in the sections above shall be distributed for free by the government of Lincoln through the internet
viii. The tests for the exams in the sections above shall be conducted at any facility that performs tests for driver's licenses. The government of Lincoln shall not charge any fees for performing this exam

Section 2: Bans
i. Bump stocks and suppressors shall also be considered prohibited to operate, purchase, sell, or possess by private citizens. Magazines with more then 10 rounds of ammunition are also prohibited.
ii. Any individual that possess, uses, sells or purchases any of the above devices may face a fine not exceeding $100,000 and jail sentence not exceeding 3 years for all convictions made at a single point in time.
iii. Any individual who made a specific threat against a specific a specific citizen, business or institution in Lincoln within the last 60 days from the time they attempt to squire a firearm in Lincoln.

Section 3: Firearm Gifting and Sale Liability
i. Any individual residing in Lincoln that gifts or sells a firearm to any individual that uses it to commit a violent crime may be held both civilly and criminally liable if it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that they knew or ought to have known it was illegal for the individual to own or operate the firearm or that it would be used in a crime.

Section 4: Public School Security
i. All visitors as defined as a non-current student or faculty to a public school in Lincoln is must have any bags searched by a staff member situated at the front door before they are allowed to enter the School.

Section 5: Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing
i. The Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing (BFSL) is to be established.
ii. The BFSL shall have an NPC director that is appointed by the governor. The director is to handle hiring all other personnel. The governor can dissolve and reform the BFSL if deemed necessary.
iii. The BFSL is to oversee all proceedings of obtaining a firearms license and collect fines incurred from violations of gun laws.
iv. Collected fines are to be sent to a fund which is to be used to cover the government costs of licensing.

SECTION III: Implementation
1. This bill shall go into effect 1 month after passage.
2. Current gun owners shall be given a 2 year transition period where they can be allowed to keep and use their guns without a license.

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 48 hours or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »

Aye

Honestly this is as good as a gun control bill is going to get. This is probably a loser issue but the bill itself is positive in my opinion.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »

Aye
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »

Nay a completely absurd bill. To just start off suppressors are necessary for self defense or is one who needs to use one for self defense just supposed to find headphones every time they pull out a gun?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »

Aye,

I've been a proponent of gun control for a long time. This bill should held to reduce gun violence and prevent school shootings.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:41 PM »

AYE
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »

Abstain.

I really wanted an outcome that I could clearly support one way or another, but this is one of those cases where trying to address too much ends up with a bill that is unpalatable from my view. This is probably one of a handful of issues where I believe policies should be debated and enacted on a case-by-case basis to allow for greater nuance, but alas.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »

Well, the Philly Plan again has demonstrated that it resulted in a Chamber that cannot write bills.

You guys swore an oath to uphold the constitution. Yet you pass a bill with a strict licensing system as well as "proof of a reasonable cause for having a Class C license", both of which are constitutionally suspect provisions. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You also have ignored a typo that changes the meaning of part of this bill.

Beyond constitutional and grammatical concerns, Section 4 of Division B is an undue infringement on the Liberty of our citizens.

I look forward to this bill being struck down in court.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2019, 06:14:54 AM »

Well, the Philly Plan again has demonstrated that it resulted in a Chamber that cannot write bills.

You guys swore an oath to uphold the constitution. Yet you pass a bill with a strict licensing system as well as "proof of a reasonable cause for having a Class C license", both of which are constitutionally suspect provisions. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You also have ignored a typo that changes the meaning of part of this bill.

Beyond constitutional and grammatical concerns, Section 4 of Division B is an undue infringement on the Liberty of our citizens.

Lets hope the Governor has the balls to veto.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:39 AM »

Lincoln has a simple majority override so even if Peanut does veto it's guaranteed to be overridden.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »

Lincoln has a simple majority override so even if Peanut does veto it's guaranteed to be overridden.

Not to mention that if the veto override failed, it's still not a proper veto, just a "send to referendum" veto like the one Fremont has.

The results of said referendum would be interesting though, especially if it happens the same day as the presidential and Senate elections

However, I will note that this bill passed with only 4 ayes. To override a veto we would need 5 (a majority of all elected Councillors, which even if you don't count Ninja's vacant seat is still at 5). So it's up to Peanut whether to send this to a referendum or let it stand.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »

Not only that, but they also just signed off on completely destroying their region's budget with this bill. Lincoln can't afford it, they passed it anyway.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »

Not only that, but they also just signed off on completely destroying their region's budget with this bill. Lincoln can't afford it, they passed it anyway.

Uh, no we did not.

I designed the few modifications precisely to make the licensing system free or as close to free as possible.

Testing materials will be available for free over the internet (so everyone can get a license for free, there is no barrier of access).

Tests are performed at any facility that performs driver's license tests. There are also no "practical" sections. Just memorize what the governemnt posts and write it down when the exam comes.

It might strain the system a bit, but this will barely require any funding. What would we need to pay for? The actual license cards? Papers for the tests?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2019, 12:09:51 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Uh, no we did not.

I designed the few modifications precisely to make the licensing system free or as close to free as possible.

Testing materials will be available for free over the internet (so everyone can get a license for free, there is no barrier of access).

Tests are performed at any facility that performs driver's license tests. There are also no "practical" sections. Just memorize what the governemnt posts and write it down when the exam comes.

It might strain the system a bit, but this will barely require any funding. What would we need to pay for? The actual license cards? Papers for the tests?

Staff time. Although what are the licenses for? I thought this bill banned concealed carry and the millions of existing concealed carry permits.

Edit: wait, did the final bill actually claim you have to have a government licenses just to OWN a gun? And that your "permission" expires every 5 years? Jesus christ that is definitely unconstitutional. There would definitely be a ton of costs just for staff to rubber stamp the millions upon millions of applications every year. Especially since this includes Ohio, Pennsylvania,  New York, Michigan... bye bye hunting.

Im tempted to use the "R" word to describe this dog vomit of a bill.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »

Uh, no we did not.

Staff time. Although what are the licenses for? I thought this bill banned concealed carry and the millions of existing concealed carry permits.

Edit: wait, did the final bill actually claim you have to have a government licenses just to OWN a gun? And that your "permission" expires every 5 years? Jesus christ that is definitely unconstitutional. There would definitely be a ton of costs just for staff to rubber stamp the millions upon millions of applications every year. Especially since this includes Ohio, Pennsylvania,  New York, Michigan... bye bye hunting.

Im tempted to use the "R" word to describe this dog vomit of a bill.

Gun licensing isn't exactly a new idea, and was seriously entertained in the 60's and 70's. Also five years is a long time. Also, a reminder that, that portion of the bill was taken from a past bill. Also this bill is a lot better than some legislation that I have seen proposed from various lawmakers. Yet, that legislation never seems to get criticized. This bill is certainly not dog vomit, it passed with support from both parties as a compromise measure. However, there have been bills comparable to dog vomit, proposed in just the last two weeks. Also I hope the R-word is you are planning to use is "repulsive" or "repugnant," and not the one that can be insulting to people, especially when used in the context, that you plan to use it in
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies