UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:48:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UT-Gov 2020: Lt. Gov Spencer Cox (R) in  (Read 3314 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: May 14, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:18:05 AM »

What's unusual in supporting reasonable Republican, especially - in heavily Republican state?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »

In a state as red as Utah, I'll root for the least crazy Republican. That seems to be Cox.

The same for me. In the past - relatively conservative Democrat could win there too, but - not in present climate...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »

And that's the game. Of all the right-wing fruitcakes in Utah, Chaffetz was the only one who could beat Cox.

It helps things out, but I worry that even a right-wing state senator or the like could Unite The Crazies at the convention. Any locals have some observations about that?

Well, for what it's worth, I live an hour and a half away from the Utah border and I volunteered for Ben McAdams in SLC. From my observation, the state GOP - at least in recent years - is actually substantially to the right of the Utah electorate. If a right-wing challenge materializes, I expect Cox to lose the state convention and then swamp his challenger in the primary proper as Romney and Curtis did last cycle.

Quite possible. I have a sort of axiom here: "conventions and caucuses are dominated by "activists" (and thus, usually - extremists) in 99% of cases", and reflect nothing, but "activist's" views...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies