Was 1856 a landslide or close election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:44:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was 1856 a landslide or close election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was 1856 a landslide or close election?  (Read 554 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »

In the popular vote, Buchanan won by over 12 points, and in a Fremont vs Buchanan only race nearly 16 points, which was the largest margin between 1836 and 1924 (1836 is a little cray cray but that's for a different day). But in the electoral college, Buchanan only got 58 percent, and a swing of three states to Fillmore would have put him below the majority and throw it to the house, and that may seem like it isn't that big of a deal until you realize that Fillmore was only about 15,000 votes away from his three closest defeats to doing this. So with the wide electoral margin, but the close eletcoral margin, would you vote for 1856 being a close or landslide election
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »

Close. Only because Fillmore clearly siphoned more votes from Buchanan
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:27:03 AM »

I feel like on a no Fillmore race, Maryland and Ohio might have gone Buchanan, and maybe New Hampshire on a good night, but not too much more than that honestly
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »

I feel like on a no Fillmore race, Maryland and Ohio might have gone Buchanan, and maybe New Hampshire on a good night, but not too much more than that honestly

Yeah there was no real way Fremont could’ve won but Fillmore made it closer than it had to be
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 04:00:13 PM by 习近平 2020 »

Important context:

If Fillmore gains in those three or four states and denies Buchanan an electoral majority, the election would be thrown to the House of Representatives. A contingent election in the House would (if following party lines from the most recent election in 1854) be as follows:

PartyStatesVotes
DemocraticAR, CA, FL, SC, IL, VA, NC, AL, GA, LA, MS11
Opposition (Whig-Rep)MO, VT, ME, IN, OH, PA, MI, NJ, NY, WI10
American (Know-Nothing)MA, DE, NH, CT, RI, KY, MD7
SplitIA, TN, TX3

No party had a majority of the state delegations – however, the American Party began to collapse after the nomination of the Fillmore (who had no anti-immigration credentials and ran on a platform of national unity). I'd say it's possible to imagine a world where the election is thrown to the house and Buchanan does not win, either because New England Americans vote for Frémont or compromise with Democrats to elect Fillmore. (In fact, MA re-elected all but one of their unanimously-American-Party delegation as Republicans in 1856 – so for the purposes of a contingent election, they were Republican Party members and likely would have voted that way.)

Therefore, I consider it a close or contested election. But I would want more context on the exact sentiments of the House (especially w.r.t. war) before being certain of that. The North forcing Frémont in as President would have been even more provocative than electing Lincoln in 1860.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 04:17:29 PM by 习近平 2020 »

Just did some quick research and found that in three of the above American Party states (MA, CT, NH) a majority of the incumbent delegation ran as Republican candidates in 1856.

The lone representative from Delaware (Elisha Cullen) ran again as an AP candidate in 1856. I can't find any record of his party ID after 1856, but his opponent in that election was a Democrat, which indicates he also tended to vote with Republicans.

In Rhode Island, one incumbent (Nathan Durfee) ran as a Republican and the other (Benjamin B. Thurston) was not a candidate for re-nomination, but had previously been a Democrat. His seat was won by a Republican.

All of this is shorthand for the functional fact that Republicans very likely held 13 votes (of a possible 31) in the event of a contingent House election. With split delegations not counted, they'd only have to persuade Cullen or Thurston to vote with them to acheive a majority.

Here is a clearer picture of how the House delegations stood:

PartyStatesVotes
Opposition (Whig-Rep)MO, VT, ME, IN, OH, PA, MI, NJ, NY, WI, MA, CT, NH13
DemocraticAR, CA, FL, SC, IL, VA, NC, AL, GA, LA, MS11
American (Know-Nothing)DE, KY, MD3
SplitIA, RI*, TN, TX4
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies