Longest-serving US State Governors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Longest-serving US State Governors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Likely to become longest-serving US State Governor
NY St Governor Andrew Cuomo (D)

IA Governor Kim Reynolds (R)

MA Governor Charles Baker (R)

IL Governor JB Pritzker (D): if he doesn't get indicted by the Feds

NH Governor Chris Sununu (R)

TX Governor Greg Abbott (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Longest-serving US State Governors  (Read 1603 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »

With UT Governor Gary Herbert (R) retiring in 2020, who's likely to join the list of longest-serving US State Governors ?
OctoCube
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 1.42

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »

Charlie Baker can have the governorship for as long as he wants it, but I don't think he's looking to settle down in it. I can see Cuomo serving for alot longer.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »

Charlie Baker can have the governorship for as long as he wants it, but I don't think he's looking to settle down in it. I can see Cuomo serving for alot longer.

We both agree on Cuomo, he's likely to get the 4th term.

Abbott will likely join this list once he wins reelection to a 3rd term.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »

Greg Abbott is likely to be a lifer, hopefully, DeBasio will challenge Cuomo
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »

Greg Abbott is likely to be a lifer, hopefully, DeBasio will challenge Cuomo

DeBlasio is toxic on the statewide level because the GOP will win easily.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »

The biggest threat to Cuomo or Baker would be a primary challenge.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »

Who's going to primary Baker ? The MA GOP has nobody else.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 04:55:48 AM »

King Andrew Cuomo. He remains governor as long as he wants. Both the left and Republicans will again fail if the try to take him down in 2022.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »

I can think of a number of Trump-aligned people who could successfully primary Baker in 2022.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »

I can think of a number of Trump-aligned people who could successfully primary Baker in 2022.

Trump will NOT be stupid to have somebody challenge Baker in 2022.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »

I don't know if Abbott will ultimately seek a third term.

Perry's unprecedented decision to seek a third four-year term gummed up the works as far as succession goes and contributed to the 2012 GOP Senate primary that birthed Ted Cruz's political career, and to the absolutely bizarre 2014 GOP Lieutenant Governor primary.

Dan Patrick is well aware that Perry's decision to stick around too long ruined David Dewhurst's political career. He doesn't want the same thing to happen to him. I would not be surprised at all if Patrick ends up running for governor in 2022 even if he has to primary Abbott to do it.

Meanwhile, Abbott really didn't have a particularly productive legislative session this year and managed to infuriate just about everyone with his failed tax reform package.

In all likelihood, the 2021 session will have narrower margins of control in the Legislature and make it even harder for him to get any big ticket Republican/conservative wins.

He may decide to just retire on a high note rather than have to deal with a reelection campaign that could be difficult if Patrick runs and the Democrats get a real candidate for once.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »

Abbott will run for reelection in 2022. I'm sticking with it!

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »

Cuomo is the longest currently serving governor now, but he's got 12 1/2 years until he's the longest serving NY governor ever.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 11:30:19 PM »

Trump will NOT be stupid to have somebody challenge Baker in 2022.

Assuming you mean he would not be stupid enough, that really doesn't matter. Scott Lively didn't run because Trump asked him to. Trump didn't endorse him or anything either. He still got a solid chunk of votes despite being extremely unorthodox (to put it mildly).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 12:44:23 AM »

With UT Governor Gary Herbert (R) retiring in 2020, who's likely to join the list of longest-serving US State Governors ?

Can't be too sure about that, actually. Although he did initially announce shortly after being re-elected in 2016 that he wouldn't run for a 3rd full term, he indicated earlier this year that he's open to the possibility of running again.

As for my answer to the question at hand, pretty much this:

If Herbert does indeed proceed with retirement next year, then Cuomo will automatically become the longest-serving current governor on January 6, 2020 (at 3,292 days of service), upon the inauguration of Herbert's successor (please god, don't let it be Jason Chaffetz). After that, considering he's likely to win a 4th term in 2022, he likely ends his governorship on December 31, 2026 (at 5,844 days of service) as the 4th longest-serving governor in U.S. history.

Re: Baker -- hell, he's widely thought to be uninterested in running for a 3rd term as governor, even though it'd definitely be his were he to want (& seek) it. If he doesn't seek a 3rd term, then he's a non-factor. If he does end up going for it, though, then he absolutely, definitely, positively, unquestionably won't seek a 4th term as governor in 2026, in which case he'd end his tenure as governor on January 7, 2027 as the then longest-serving current governor (after having surpassed Cuomo six days earlier on January 1, 2027 at 4,376 days of service) as well as the 42nd longest-serving governor in U.S. history (at 4,382 days of service).

Re: Abbott, I think he's the same as Baker if he wants (& seeks) a 3rd term, in that he likely wouldn't seek a 4th term after it, in which case he'd end his tenure as governor on January 19, 2027 as the then longest-serving current governor (after either having surpassed Cuomo 18 days earlier on January 1, 2027 at 4,364 days of service or Baker 12 days earlier on January 7, 2027 at 4,370 days of service) as well as the 42nd longest-serving governor in U.S. history (at 4,382 days of service).

I think Reynolds, Pritzker, & Sununu are likely to be non-factors as to the answer of this question.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:30 AM »

Can't be too sure about that, actually. Although he did initially announce shortly after being re-elected in 2016 that he wouldn't run for a 3rd full term, he indicated earlier this year that he's open to the possibility of running again.

As for my answer to the question at hand, pretty much this:

If Herbert does indeed proceed with retirement next year, then Cuomo will automatically become the longest-serving current governor on January 6, 2020 (at 3,292 days of service), upon the inauguration of Herbert's successor (please god, don't let it be Jason Chaffetz). After that, considering he's likely to win a 4th term in 2022, he likely ends his governorship on December 31, 2026 (at 5,844 days of service) as the 4th longest-serving governor in U.S. history.

Re: Baker -- hell, he's widely thought to be uninterested in running for a 3rd term as governor, even though it'd definitely be his were he to want (& seek) it. If he doesn't seek a 3rd term, then he's a non-factor. If he does end up going for it, though, then he absolutely, definitely, positively, unquestionably won't seek a 4th term as governor in 2026, in which case he'd end his tenure as governor on January 7, 2027 as the then longest-serving current governor (after having surpassed Cuomo six days earlier on January 1, 2027 at 4,376 days of service) as well as the 42nd longest-serving governor in U.S. history (at 4,382 days of service).

Re: Abbott, I think he's the same as Baker if he wants (& seeks) a 3rd term, in that he likely wouldn't seek a 4th term after it, in which case he'd end his tenure as governor on January 19, 2027 as the then longest-serving current governor (after either having surpassed Cuomo 18 days earlier on January 1, 2027 at 4,364 days of service or Baker 12 days earlier on January 7, 2027 at 4,370 days of service) as well as the 42nd longest-serving governor in U.S. history (at 4,382 days of service).

I think Reynolds, Pritzker, & Sununu are likely to be non-factors as to the answer of this question.

I should note that Abbott's still popular & plans on sticking around. If successful (I think he will pull it off), Abbott will become the 5th TX Governor since Shivers, Daniel, Connally & Perry to serve 3 terms & he'll be the 2nd longest-serving TX Governor with 12 years of service.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »

Criminal indictment, surely?
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

The Feds won't be going after Cuomo because they're too busy investigating somebody else.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

The Feds won't be going after Cuomo because they're too busy investigating somebody else.

Not saying whether or not I believe Cuomo has done anything worthy of a federal investigation, but since when does a federal investigation into one person or entity preclude an investigation into a wholly separate & completely different person or entity from taking place?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »

Wut? For what? Doing a great job?
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »

I don't know if Abbott will ultimately seek a third term.

Perry's unprecedented decision to seek a third four-year term gummed up the works as far as succession goes and contributed to the 2012 GOP Senate primary that birthed Ted Cruz's political career, and to the absolutely bizarre 2014 GOP Lieutenant Governor primary.

Dan Patrick is well aware that Perry's decision to stick around too long ruined David Dewhurst's political career. He doesn't want the same thing to happen to him. I would not be surprised at all if Patrick ends up running for governor in 2022 even if he has to primary Abbott to do it.

Meanwhile, Abbott really didn't have a particularly productive legislative session this year and managed to infuriate just about everyone with his failed tax reform package.

In all likelihood, the 2021 session will have narrower margins of control in the Legislature and make it even harder for him to get any big ticket Republican/conservative wins.

He may decide to just retire on a high note rather than have to deal with a reelection campaign that could be difficult if Patrick runs and the Democrats get a real candidate for once.

That would be wild.  Patrick would likely be an underdog in the general in a Trump midterm.  As for Abbott, he may have a close call in 2022, but he probably has it as long as he wants it given how well he already did in a Trump midterm.

Like I said before, Abbott will likely seek reelection to a 3rd term in 2022 & win by double digits. He's raising like over $25 or 40+ million.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »

I mean, the use of state government offices for campaign purposes by a top aide convicted on federal corruption charges isn't nothing.

If an individual is suspected of having used a public office for political purposes, then they should be investigated &, if need be, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of said individual's effectiveness in their office.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »

There's a possibility that WA St Governor Jay Inslee (D) might seek reelection to a 3rd term since his Presidential campaign is downright pathetic.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

He's a machine politician from New York, and both of his key cronies were indicted two years ago?
UncleSam

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »

There's a possibility that WA St Governor Jay Inslee (D) might seek reelection to a 3rd term since his Presidential campaign is downright pathetic.

As a Washington resident I just wanted to say I hate that this is true.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies