S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:40:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)  (Read 2320 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2019, 04:52:16 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2019, 08:09:18 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker Muaddib »

Section 1: Title: Resolution encouraging the construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope.
1.   The government of the south believes that our region is an optimal region for the construction of giant telescopes competing with the thirty-meter telescope or the ELT.
1.2   The south is home of nasa and and most of our nations space infrastructure. The benefits of building the next super telescope here are large and taxes are very low adding an angle of economic benefits over regions like Fremont or Chile.
1.3    Not only are economic benefit an advantage for owners of the future telescope, but also to local economies throughout our great land with thousands of high paying construction and scientific jobs fueling economic growth.
1.4   The government of the south would like to extend an warm welcome to you and ask that you consider us.
Sponsor: Matthew27
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »

Oh for god not this again. Fremont already went through this sh*t once. I guess it's the south's turn now.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »

Don't do this, guys.  Or else your father will beat you up.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »

Don't do this, guys.  Or else your father will beat you up.

Gentlemen, please this is just the start of debating. Let us not turn this into a telescope measuring contest just yet.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »

I know what bill to pass next in Lincoln Tongue
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »

I know what bill to pass next in Lincoln Tongue

Seeing as this seems to not be a good idea, I would recommend not trying to pass this
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:31:27 PM »

Need I also point out there's nowhere in either the South or Lincoln you could actually build this telescope? A large telescope needs a high elevation and no light pollution in its placement. There exists no place in either the South or Lincoln where this telescope could be built. There exists no place without light pollution and of an adequate elevation in the South where this telescope could be built.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »

Can someone give us a cost estimate?
"1.   The government of the south believes that our region is an optimal region for the construction of giant telescopes competing with the thirty-meter telescope or the ELT."
The cost of the Thirty Metre telescope is breaking $1 Billion USD, the cost of the Chilean ELT is estimated to be around $1.2 Billion USD. Given this proposed telescope would be in competition with these the cost would be around the same.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »

Both the Giant Magellan and the Thirty Meter Telescope are hundreds of millions of dollars short of their funding goals, according to unofficial estimates from outside scientists. Some astronomers say the Thirty Meter Telescope, which was originally estimated to cost $1.4 billion, will now take some $2 billion to complete. Project officials themselves have declined to say how much they need.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/science/thirty-meter-telescopes-costs.html
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »

Need I also point out there's nowhere in either the South or Lincoln you could actually build this telescope? A large telescope needs a high elevation and no light pollution in its placement. There exists no place in either the South or Lincoln where this telescope could be built. There exists no place without light pollution and of an adequate elevation in the South where this telescope could be built.

South: Guadalupe Peak, TX

Lincoln: Mt. Washington, NH
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 06:47:54 PM »

You also need low humidity and clear skies. That rules out Lincoln and the South.
The only places these extremely large telescopes can be built is on top of tall desert mountains away from any cities. Ergo, they are only built in Mauna Kea Hawaii, the Chilean Andes, Arizona, and the Canary Islands.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »

You also need low humidity and clear skies. That rules out Lincoln and the South.
The only places these extremely large telescopes can be built is on top of tall desert mountains away from any cities. Ergo, they are only built in Mauna Kea Hawaii, the Chilean Andes, Arizona, and the Canary Islands.

Denali, AK?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »

Denali, AK?

Skies aren't clear enough and it isn't remotely accessable.
A telescope of this nature is already being planned/built on Mauna Kea in Hawaii. There is one up and running on Mt Graham Arizona. Those are the only workable locations for telescopes like this. They're in desert climates so humidity is low and the skies are clear, they're away from any cities so there is no light pollution, they're at a high elevation which helps with the clear skies too. And they're reasonably accessible so you can actually do construction by road access.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 07:49:54 PM »

Wait does this actually do anything?
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »

Can someone give us a cost estimate?

None.

This is just an simple encouragement to build within the south. Why the hell are people going offf at me? I may drop out of the game as I have a daughter to take care of now.

matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:52 PM »

Urging the Delegates to reject this legislation and if passed for some reason I’ll veto it. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Why? Private industry would build it as this is just simple encouragement.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

It simple states that the south would like private industry to build the next big telescope here.

I don't understand why people can't understand this.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »

It simple states that the south would like private industry to build the next big telescope here.

Except there is no suitable location in the South to build such a telescope, so in reality this achieves nothing at all.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »

I encourage The South to pass this resolution, always good to promote growth and innovation!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »

Except there is no suitable location in the South to build such a telescope, so in reality this achieves nothing at all.

I mean maybe Guadalupe Peak, TX, it's in arid western TX, but it's only 90 miles away from El Paso, so, you may get pollution. But this is one of the few, viable sites in the South
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »

I mean maybe Guadalupe Peak, TX, it's in arid western TX, but it's only 90 miles away from El Paso, so, you may get pollution. But this is one of the few, viable sites in the South

3 ELTs are already being built around the world. 1 funded by Europe in Chile, 2 funded by the US, one in Chile and one in Hawaii. Regardless of anything else there is no real justification for spending another 2 billion dollars on an ELT when 3 are already being built.
An additional ELT in West Texas would provide no benefit to the scientific community whatsoever. The images would be of far inferior quality to those from Hawaii and Chile, and would be totally redundant.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »

3 ELTs are already being built around the world. 1 funded by Europe in Chile, 2 funded by the US, one in Chile and one in Hawaii. Regardless of anything else there is no real justification for spending another 2 billion dollars on an ELT when 3 are already being built.
An additional ELT in West Texas would provide no benefit to the scientific community whatsoever. The images would be of far inferior quality to those from Hawaii and Chile, and would be totally redundant.

You make good points and it is refreshing to see well thought out opposition. Thank you for your post.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 11:10:03 PM »

I'd encourage the Chamber to vote down this as I generally despise virtue-signaling resolutions. Also this would be costly if actually built.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 11:11:46 PM »

I'd encourage the Chamber to vote down this as I generally despise virtue-signaling resolutions. Also this would be costly if actually built.

Costly to people that want it built. lol

Rich people should be welcome to spend their money on the south.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »

Costly to people that want it built. lol

Rich people should be welcome to spend their money on the south.

What's stopping them from doing that now?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies