State abortion laws megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:06:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State abortion laws megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Author Topic: State abortion laws megathread  (Read 42571 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 07:14:00 PM »

You beat me to it!

Anyway, I give Roe v. Wade at least one year. It's on its last legs and will be overturned if this bill's legality gets appealed to the Supreme Court. Stop expecting rationality out of Kavanaugh and Roberts. They are hacks! Roberts is like the Susan Collins of the Supreme Court. It could be stopped in a lower court potentially though. That is really the best hope to keep Roe on life support just a little longer...at least until Georgia or Ohio's laws get appealed to it. The right will not stop until the decision is overturned and they get to deprive women of their autonomy.

It may backfire and galvanize women against them finally. And maybe voters will finally start taking the Supreme Court seriously when it comes to who they vote for, but it's still enough of a victory to be worth it for the right. Abortion rights probably will return within another decade when the Supreme Court's balance finally changes alongside public perceptions of the issue, but pro-lifers will die happily before then, knowing that they helped make America a more regressive place than it was in 1973.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »

You beat me to it!

Anyway, I give Roe v. Wade at least one year. It's on its last legs and will be overturned if this bill's legality gets appealed to the Supreme Court. Stop expecting rationality out of Kavanaugh and Roberts. They are hacks! Roberts is like the Susan Collins of the Supreme Court. It could be stopped in a lower court potentially though. That is really the best hope to keep Roe on life support just a little longer...at least until Georgia or Ohio's laws get appealed to it. The right will not stop until the decision is overturned and they get to deprive women of their autonomy.

It may backfire and galvanize women against them finally. And maybe voters will finally start taking the Supreme Court seriously when it comes to who they vote for, but it's still enough of a victory to be worth it for the right. Abortion rights probably will return within another decade when the Supreme Court's balance finally changes alongside public perceptions of the issue, but pro-lifers will die happily before then, knowing that they helped make America a more regressive place than it was in 1973.

It better swing back because no one who has to offer anything of value wants to live in or do business with such a derpy country! Even Trump's "sh**tholes" are beginning to leave women alone!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

You know the Alabama GOP is really out there when even the Rev. Pat Robertson calls your abortion legislation extreme.   Tongue

Televangelist Pat Robertson: Alabama’s abortion ban is ‘extreme’ and has ‘gone too far’
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »

You know the Alabama GOP is really out there when even the Rev. Pat Robertson calls your abortion legislation extreme.   Tongue

Televangelist Pat Robertson: Alabama’s abortion ban is ‘extreme’ and has ‘gone too far’

A lot is probably more conservative than Saudi Arabia or Iran’s.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »

If Kavanaugh is the deciding vote to keep abortion legal, is it the greatest irony in American history?

Note: I'm assuming this question is moot since I don't see Roberts or Gorsuch overturning it either, but it's a fun hypothetical.
Yeah, there is no way they are going to overturn Roe v Wade. It will just end up like Ireland's ban where public opinion will shift in favor of abortion and it will just become legal again and then the issue will become politically irrelevant.

Also, if the GOP does actually succeed in overturning Roe v Wade, within 2-3 cycles it goes from being a good issue for them to being a horrible one, as very soon, the media will be full of stories about women dying in back-alley abortions, conservative states hanging women for having abortions, and women waking up in handcuffs after suffering miscarriages and being forced to carry non-viable, dangerous pregnancies to term.

Why would all that happen if it didn't when abortion was illegal in every state?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »

Kavanaugh, Alito, and Thomas are solid votes to overturn Roe in full, quit kidding yourself. Roberts is a big question mark, idk. As for Gorsuch, well, ideologically he should be a safe vote to overturn Roe, but then again, he said this in the hearing:

Judge Gorsuch: "Senator, I would have walked out the door."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »

If Kavanaugh is the deciding vote to keep abortion legal, is it the greatest irony in American history?

Note: I'm assuming this question is moot since I don't see Roberts or Gorsuch overturning it either, but it's a fun hypothetical.
Yeah, there is no way they are going to overturn Roe v Wade. It will just end up like Ireland's ban where public opinion will shift in favor of abortion and it will just become legal again and then the issue will become politically irrelevant.

Also, if the GOP does actually succeed in overturning Roe v Wade, within 2-3 cycles it goes from being a good issue for them to being a horrible one, as very soon, the media will be full of stories about women dying in back-alley abortions, conservative states hanging women for having abortions, and women waking up in handcuffs after suffering miscarriages and being forced to carry non-viable, dangerous pregnancies to term.

Why would all that happen if it didn't when abortion was illegal in every state?

Why did it become illegal in the first place?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that Kavanaugh and Roberts will strike down the ban, because this goes in clear violation of Roe and Casey and an outright ban is far less likely to pass SCOTUS than heavy restrictions.  Roberts doesn't want this hill to die on, and he knows the fallout that would ensue from letting this pass.

I'm not certain that SCOTUS will even grant cert on this one.  It certainly won't if on any of the other cases likely to get there sooner, they don't uphold some lesser restriction.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »

So would my position on the issue be considered pro-choice or pro-life:

I believe it should be legal in the first trimester, the second trimester should be decided by the states and third trimester should be banned federally

Pro choice? You could get away with that position in a Democratic primary anywhere (assuming the standard non-viability and life of the mother exceptions for 3rd trimester), but would have a lot of difficulty winning a Republican primary in any red state.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2019, 10:55:19 PM »

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that Kavanaugh and Roberts will strike down the ban, because this goes in clear violation of Roe and Casey and an outright ban is far less likely to pass SCOTUS than heavy restrictions.  Roberts doesn't want this hill to die on, and he knows the fallout that would ensue from letting this pass.

I'm not certain that SCOTUS will even grant cert on this one.  It certainly won't if on any of the other cases likely to get there sooner, they don't uphold some lesser restriction.

They won’t grant certain unless they are ready to overturn it. Then again, Casey started that way. However Casey was the abortion equivalent of having long ass wait periods, background checks, and hunters safety for guns. It wasn’t even like an assault weapon ban or any sort of confiscation
program.

The new law in Alabama is like no guns or even anything that acts like one. The new laws in Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio, Georgia, North Dakota, and South Dakota are like gun laws saying You can only have a 22 and only then that 22 has a barrel longer than 20 inches
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:10 PM »

I believe it should be legal in the first trimester, the second trimester should be decided by the states and third trimester should be banned federally

Pro choice? You could get away with that position in a Democratic primary anywhere (assuming the standard non-viability and life of the mother exceptions for 3rd trimester), but would have a lot of difficulty winning a Republican primary in any red state.

I do support banning government funding for abortions, and voted for that ballot measure last November .  I also support the Mexico City Policy

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »

I do support banning government funding for abortions, and voted for that ballot measure last November . 
Joe Biden supported the Hyde amendment  when he ran in 2008. Still probably does.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »

I do support banning government funding for abortions, and voted for that ballot measure last November . 
Joe Biden supported the Hyde amendment  when he ran in 2008. Still probably does.

Oh didnt know though.

I could win a primary in a red state though: I still consider my self pro-life and do support a 20 week ban and can emphasize my opposition to the funding of it. Mitt Romney won a national primary despite being moderate on the issue as well, though that was the 2012 GOP
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2019, 01:34:44 AM »

What is their (AL GOP) defense this does not violate Roe v. Wade? Or is the intention just to bring it before the SC again, hoping Roe gets finally overturned?

I'm with Bill Clinton on this issue: Abortion should be rare and legal. Mostly male politicians should not tell women what to do with their bodies.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2019, 06:35:44 AM »

What is their (AL GOP) defense this does not violate Roe v. Wade? Or is the intention just to bring it before the SC again, hoping Roe gets finally overturned?

I'm with Bill Clinton on this issue: Abortion should be rare and legal. Mostly male politicians should not tell women what to do with their bodies.

They want this before Roberts, Kavanaugh , and Gorsuch!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »

It's already a losing issue, but yeah, it would get even worse.

It doesn't seem to have hurt them in any recent election though...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 09:14:28 AM »

It's already a losing issue, but yeah, it would get even worse.

It doesn't seem to have hurt them in any recent election though...

Yeah but they could just it was populist rhetoric. They can't hide behind that now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »

If the GOP gets Roe overturned, suburban women will rip the GOP’s nuts off.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »

That might finally give Democrats some traction in Florida and maybe North Carolina. Georgia is already a good testing ground for this. It will really accelerate things in Arizona and make Colorado and Virginia non-starters as well as kill any R Renaissance in NE. Maybe make races like Cruz and ORourke the norm in Texas?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »

There’s just not enough Phosphorous or drones in the world to deal with every terrorist.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2019, 02:30:10 PM »

Hope she sees this, bro.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

What if she does?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »

Pat F[inks]ing Robertson says AL bill goes too far:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/16/pat-robertson-says-alabama-abortion-law-has-gone-too-far/3690680002/

"I think Alabama has gone too far," Robertson said Wednesday on "The 700 Club" before the bill was signed into law by Alabama's Republican Gov. Kay Ivey. "It's an extreme law.

Robertson cited the law's lack of exemptions for rape or incest and its punishment up to 99 years in prison for performing an abortion in the state.

Of course, he also goes on to say:

The televangelist continued by criticizing the Roe v. Wade decision and emphasizing the need for strict abortion laws in the country.

"But the Alabama case, God bless them. They're trying to do something, but I don't think that's the case, and I don't want to bring it to the Supreme Court,"
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »

This would be nice, but don't get your hopes up too much.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies