Should Bernie Sanders put "he/him" in his Twitter bio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:00:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Should Bernie Sanders put "he/him" in his Twitter bio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should Bernie Sanders put "he/him" in his Twitter bio?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 132

Author Topic: Should Bernie Sanders put "he/him" in his Twitter bio?  (Read 6946 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »

Since many think this is mandatory to be a leftist, lol.

No obviously. I don't know of a single politician that does this thank God.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »

No, and this is a stupid thread.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

Actually it has some merit, if someone does this on Twitter it's a surefire sign they aren't worth paying attention to.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »

Yes, all politicians should do this so I never actually vote for a they/them.

And before the meltdown, no I'm not anti-trans or anti-non-binary. If people want to use zhe/zhim or whatever, that's 100% cool with me. But we simply cannot rewrite the English language and make plural words singular.
User155815470020
PremierPence

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »

Considering Sanders is a hermaphrodite, "he/him" wouldn't quite be an appropriate or accurate descriptor.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »

Considering Sanders is a hermaphrodite, "he/him" wouldn't quite be an appropriate or accurate descriptor.

And I thought Olawakandi had some strange posts. I'd really like to know how that idea came into fruition in your mind. Now to answer the question, it's such an irrelevant detail, I'm more interested to see whether Bernie's campaign can recover from the Biden bounce.
History505
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »

No lol.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »

who care
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »

People who put pronouns in their bio are automatically not taken seriously, at least by me.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »

The transphobia on this thread is just........
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »

Yes; should be legally required of every citizen.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »

I'll happily call anyone by whatever pronoun they want, provided that they address me as "The Golden God."
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »

Not sure why so many people, including the brogressives, are so vehemently opposed to the easiest way to show solidarity with and encourage safety of people who are transgendered.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »

And before the meltdown, no I'm not anti-trans or anti-non-binary. If people want to use zhe/zhim or whatever, that's 100% cool with me. But we simply cannot rewrite the English language and make plural words singular.

Why not? Pronouns can change. You used to be the formal version of the informal thou, but we decided two words was too much hassle. People say who instead of whom every day and no one flips out that who is only for subjects. Why not a singular "they," which has actually been used for literally centuries?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »

It really does not make a difference to me.

But we simply cannot rewrite the English language and make plural words singular.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Imagine actually believing that language is static.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »

Not sure why so many people, including the brogressives, are so vehemently opposed to the easiest way to show solidarity with and encourage safety of people who are transgendered.

Perhaps they don't want others to think that they're mentally ill.

Huh
BundouYMB

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »

In what universe does editing your twitter bio make the world safer for transgender people?

Sanders should not do this because it will either a). do nothing and be ignored or b). do nothing and cause lame twitter drama that will distract from the serious issues his campaign is based around -- serious issues which include trans rights, by the way.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »

After all these years, don't you get tired of making these kinds of threads?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »

But we simply cannot rewrite the English language and make plural words singular.
You might be a little late on this one. You're going to have to go back at least a couple centuries to find a time where using "they" as a singular pronoun wasn't commonplace in the English language.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »

In what universe does editing your twitter bio make the world safer for transgender people?

Sanders should not do this because it will either a). do nothing and be ignored or b). do nothing and cause lame twitter drama that will distract from the serious issues his campaign is based around -- serious issues which include trans rights, by the way.

Yes, in what universe does acknowledging that non-gender binary and/or transgendered people exist and using inclusive terminology/identifiers that they would like people to use make them safer? 🤔 I will acknowledge that it is rather difficult to imagine such a strange, concocted reality.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »

Yes, in what universe does acknowledging that non-gender binary and/or transgendered people exist and using inclusive terminology/identifiers that they would like people to use make them safer? 🤔 I will acknowledge that it is rather difficult to imagine such a strange, concocted reality.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 01:01:35 AM »

Huh

Not sure what's confusing about that.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 01:35:52 AM »

Roll Eyes There is literally nothing wrong with putting pronouns in bios. If you have a problem with it and take people less seriously because of it, get the f**k over yourself.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »

1. chill with the BRTD hate y'all

After all these years, don't you get tired of making these kinds of threads?

his unique quirks are what make him a forum treasure and that includes random thread creation. there's nothing wrong with posting unusual threads especially because they bring about interesting discussion that otherwise wouldn't happen (if you were to go back and measure it I'm certain BRTD threads are much larger in both post count and word count when compared by the forum average).

It's not like he even disagrees with you guys who think this thread his stupid! He said himself he ignores anyone who puts pronouns in their bio.

2. You people all have an insane (and horrendously anti-trans) social media litmus test, apparently get set off by incredibly trivial things, and you jump at the opportunity to judge a book by its cover

if someone does this on Twitter it's a surefire sign they aren't worth paying attention to.
People who put pronouns in their bio are automatically not taken seriously, at least by me.

What you're literally saying here is "I intentionally ignore trans voices" as well as the voices of their well-intentioned allies. This hostility is surprising and bizarre. It says a lot about you, in a very bad way, if you're actually out there literally ignoring an entire class of people for such a trivial reason (and before you ask, this is coming from someone who doesn't have twitter bio pronouns and has never even considered the idea). This kind of fear towards change, the unknown, and what you don't understand is literally the same thing driving Trump's popular support. If you find yourself agreeing with alt-right voices like Jordan Peterson and flip out over literally something as trivial as pronoun use either you're autistic or you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror to come to terms with who you are and what you believe. (And I'm not using "autistic" as an insult, for the record, I mean it's genuinely a sign of autism spectrum disorders to place a very disproportionate degree of importance on a trivial matter such as this. I'm saying if you're on the spectrum and think this way then you have your own reasons and you're not necessarily a bigot).

Normal people do not care about something as trivial as pronoun use at all. If you find yourself this bothered it, unless you're a huge asshole who openly hates trans people then you should probably check yourself because it sounds like you're being very motivated by a subconscious bias here

3. Others (Mikado and SWE) have already made points about your absurd insistence on prescriptivism far better than I could have. I'll only add that not only is prescriptivism both hypocritical and outdated, its proponents also have a tendency to be incredibly racist (manifested via selective hatred of AAVE in particular).

4. um....

if you think transgenderism is a mental illness then please kindly GTFO back to the era where that sort of thought belongs, so you can measure intelligence by skull size and sterilize the unhygienic races in peace
BundouYMB

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 05:56:43 AM »

What you're literally saying here is "I intentionally ignore trans voices" as well as the voices of their well-intentioned allies. This hostility is surprising and bizarre.

Um, this makes no sense. There are plenty of people who support trans rights -- and indeed plenty of trans people themselves -- who don't put pronouns in their twitter bio.

Editing your twitter bio doesn't make you some sort of brave pro-trans activist. I don't know if you've ever been on twitter, but most people just have some random funny statement as their bio. Do you really think that makes them all anti-trans bigots?

(That said, I certainly agree with you that it's equally strange to hold it against someone if they have their preferred pronouns in their twitter bio. I guess I just can't wrap my head around caring at all either way.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies