With the CUP gone...now what?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:11:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  With the CUP gone...now what?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: With the CUP gone...now what?  (Read 1341 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »

A whole hoard of limbo independents? My own experiment in party formation, the Civic Alliance has also went down the great Atlasian toiletbowl it seems. Should a new party be created with stronger backing this time? The centre looks a little lonely, where or where can a moderate centre rightist libertarian-y democratic person like me go? Sad Answers on a post card fellow limbo-ists Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:26:14 PM »

We Centrists have traditionally had strong parties to identify with so it does seem a bit strange at the moment.  I am sure sanity will return in due time.

The reason why I left the UAC is that it had wavered away from centrist values.  The reason why I left the CUP is that it had wavered away from centrist values.  Can we stop wavering away from centrist values already?? Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:28:46 PM »

Can't you people think for yourselves? Tongue
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 04:31:53 PM »

Can't you people think for yourselves? Tongue

Maybe.  What do you think I should think?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 04:36:15 PM »

Just stay independent if you don't like all those shaky parties. No messy endorsement votes, no platform to follow if you run for office, and no partisanship.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 04:40:51 PM »

Just stay independent if you don't like all those shaky parties. No messy endorsement votes, no platform to follow if you run for office, and no partisanship.

People can always walk to get where they are going, but to get there faster they need a vehicle.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »

People can always walk to get where they are going, but to get there faster they need a vehicle.

Hmm, I guess I must have run pretty fast then.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 04:55:36 PM »

Hmm, I guess I must have run pretty fast then.

Your opposition's vehicle broke down because its owners did not believe in government regulation, so the parts were shoddy and unsafe Smiley  *trying to save the metaphor*
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 04:56:22 PM »

I salute JF and True for trying to start a new centrist party.  I am interested in anything that John Ford wants to do.  But I'm unsure whether this is the right style of vehicle that we need to get the job done.  Ultra-libertarians are rapidly tearing down our institutions of government and civil society.  Who is fighting these intrusions?   What Party is standing up for common values?  With the possible exception of the CD's, the answer is no one.  That must change.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 05:07:23 PM »

I salute JF and True for trying to start a new centrist party.  I am interested in anything that John Ford wants to do.  But I'm unsure whether this is the right style of vehicle that we need to get the job done.  Ultra-libertarians are rapidly tearing down our institutions of government and civil society.  Who is fighting these intrusions?   What Party is standing up for common values?  With the possible exception of the CD's, the answer is no one.  That must change.

I actually agree; we have spendocrats on one side and manic privatisers on the other. Why not start a (american spelling on purpose) Center Party? or a Moderate Party. Keep it on track and stop it veering either too far to the extremes?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 05:09:46 PM »

I actually agree; we have spendocrats on one side and manic privatisers on the other. Why not start a (american spelling on purpose) Center Party? or a Moderate Party. Keep it on track and stop it veering either too far to the extremes?

One problem.  Where are the spendocrats?  I wish we had some spendocrats out there to balance out the manic privatisers Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

There was talk of the formation of a new party, the fact is that after a few election cycles a centrist party will begin to shift either to the left (or more commonly in Atlas) the right and so eventually collapse and be reformed in a new guise… it’s the way of things and I think there is little you can do to stop it really.

So a new Party then?   
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 05:13:03 PM »

One problem.  Where are the spendocrats?  I wish we had some spendocrats out there to balance out the manic privatisers Smiley

We have no spendocrats? But its FUN to have spendocrats Smiley
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 05:13:54 PM »

There was talk of the formation of a new party, the fact is that after a few election cycles a centrist party will begin to shift either to the left (or more commonly in Atlas) the right and so eventually collapse and be reformed in a new guise… it’s the way of things and I think there is little you can do to stop it really.

So a new Party then?   

Oh thank God.. Ben.. its you... is it really you... please tell me that the anti-government zealots haven't yet reached you... are you still pure at heart?  Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 05:17:51 PM »

I think the Mid-Wests move to privatise the public school system, not sure if privatise is the right word, perhaps abolish is the straw that broke the camels back for me. I may have libertarian leanings but I cannot see the public school system as being a tyranical by-product of the state. Cut it down and open it up to a voucher system, but you can't abolish the whole damn system!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 05:21:01 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2005, 05:22:57 PM by Lt. Governor Ben. »

So a new Party then?   

Oh thank God.. Ben.. its you... is it really you... please tell me that the anti-government zealots haven't yet reached you... are you still pure at heart?  Tongue

Don’t fear Don I’ve always been a creature of the “radical centre” Cheesy

Government has its uses; I’ve always thought so… I’ll reject both the idea that government is inherently bad and harmful and the notion that “where there’s a problem, there should be a program”.   

Whats more with work slackening I can look to my constituents again… I hope. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

I'm up for joining a new middle ground party but after last time I dont believe I have the expertese needed to get one up and running. Then again perhaps it is better that Centrists are independents; it may help challenge the system come election time.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 05:45:14 PM »

I'm up for joining a new middle ground party but after last time I dont believe I have the expertese needed to get one up and running. Then again perhaps it is better that Centrists are independents; it may help challenge the system come election time.

It isn't just about having a Centrist Party, its about defining what Centrism is and what our values are.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 05:55:26 PM »

It isn't just about having a Centrist Party, its about defining what Centrism is and what our values are.

I think there should be a desire not to indulge in ideology for ideologies sake. Some will be slightly to the left, others to the right. I think we need to redefine the role of the state, as you say not as something tyrannical that has to be mowed down or seen as a 'shibboleth' or as unreformable.

By the way, what is the Progressive Conservative platform out of interest?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 05:56:20 PM »

I think there should be a desire not to indulge in ideology for ideologies sake. Some will be slightly to the left, others to the right. I think we need to redefine the role of the state, as you say not as something tyrannical that has to be mowed down or seen as a 'shibboleth' or as unreformable.

By the way, what is the Progressive Conservative platform out of interest?

Silly, you should know that with me the logo and slogan come long before any sort of platform or policy Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 05:59:56 PM »

Maybe I should bring back the Civic Alliance afterall...rename it and rework it and see if she'll fly. But your Progressive Conservatives sounds a fine idea though Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 06:03:39 PM »

Parties are for losers. Tongue
WiseGuy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 06:04:52 PM »

I would like to offer an invitation to the right-leaning members of the CUP (i.e. Kemperor, Colin, Bullmoose, HTMLDon, etc.) to join the Atlasian Conservative Alliance.  I believe that since there are so few righties here, it's in our collective interest to stick together, and with the CUP gone, the ACA seems like the only big conservative/right-leaning/Libertarian party.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 06:32:03 PM »

I think the Mid-Wests move to privatise the public school system, not sure if privatise is the right word, perhaps abolish is the straw that broke the camels back for me. I may have libertarian leanings but I cannot see the public school system as being a tyranical by-product of the state. Cut it down and open it up to a voucher system, but you can't abolish the whole damn system!

Hey!  I’m in the Atlasia Monster Raving Loony Party, and I don’t want anyone to call me an AMRLINO! Wink
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 09:03:46 PM »

Well I thought Don got his idea from here: http://www.usprogressiveconservatives.blogspot.com/ but I guess he didn't.

We would like to have the right leaning people in the ACA, but I believe a libertarian party and a centrist party will form. We can only wait and see.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies