Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:00:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 93332 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 11, 2019, 10:43:32 PM »

For supposedly being a more liberal and tolerant forum, Atlas is fairly Islamophobic,

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=114592.0

Holy sh!t look at BRTD throw down on that thread lol
"Negative. False religion, pedophile and murderer for a founder and continues to repress women and gays. Also bans alcohol consumption, that alone equals negative even if the rest was disregarded." BRTD  April 14, 2010

That certainly doesn't sound like something someone who's "all liberal, all the time" would say... is BRTD a fraud?!

What's non-liberal about that statement?

It's vastly overgeneralizing and stereotypical starters. Indian Flute inability to discern differences between practices and beliefs of second generation Muslims in Suburban Portland versus lobbyist in Saudi Arabia is quintessentially anti-liberal.

And incidentally, I'm a convert from Catholicism to protestantism, and your attitude towards Catholicism smacks of bigotry as well.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »

And incidentally, I'm a convert from Catholicism to protestantism, and your attitude towards Catholicism smacks of bigotry as well.

When I wrote this, you put it in the Absurd posts mine....

Citation?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »

When I wrote this, you put it in the Absurd posts mine....

Citation?

You can't be "bigoted" against an organization. It's also not bigotry to oppose the Republican Party, Democratic Party, Southern Baptist Convention, NARAL, the NRA, etc.

So you're going to excuse the poster writing "main contributions"?  It's pretty evident that the poster's opinions extend beyond the Church itself.  Point #1 is evidence of that, as the poster portrays pro-life Catholics, who cite faith as their reasons for opposing abortions, as purposefully making women suffer.  Point #3 claims that the Catholic Church and, therefore, Catholics actively seek to establish schools that promote racism, a gross and disgusting claim to make. 

You can oppose the ideals of an organization, yes (though it's laughable that you included four non-religious or non-ethnic-based organizations up there to make your point), but when you claim that the Roman Catholic Church has only primarily done three terrible things in America, you are, in essence, tying the faith to those who practice it and are accusing all of those who follow the Church of carrying out these things or supporting them (two of which, Points #1 and #3, are not accurate and blatant attempts to call Catholics abusers of women and promoters of racism).

Please do not support absolute trash and bigotry like that post's content and then attempt to defend it by saying "But he was only attacking the institution, not the people!!!"  Furthermore, the fact that you agree with his post in its entirety, that the MAIN CONTRIBUTIONS of the Church are those three points, even if you are only referring to the Church, is certainly telling.

BRTD has always publicly hated Catholics, you see. He has revealed nothing that he didn't first reveal more than a decade ago when hating on every Catholic nation.

You misunderstood. You made the post in question in the ignorant posts thread as an aside about B RTD being anti-catholic to the verge of bigotry. I empty quoted you in the thread not because I thought it an ignorant post, but because I agree wholeheartedly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »

The first two Fall Out Boy albums are better than any album by the Beatles.

Woah, I actually don't really disagree.

I'd say y'all need Jesus, but you're too far gone even for him
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:51 AM »

This one is mine, I want a complete and total nazi to run for presidency as an independent with the armband, the hate speech, the hitler salutes, the whole nine yards, and blame Trump and say he is not with the white people etc, and siphon off a point or two from the republicans.

Have you considered that that Nazi could insight violence against minorities from his followers?

Yeah, but things are already so bad I'd be fine with making things worse for a few months in a valiant effort to make them better in the end.

Congratulations. That post is simultaneously so white mayonnaise puts IT on White Bread, and simultaneously deserves the facepalm meme.

Think about what you're saying. I realize this is an extremely far-fetched idea, and you're just venting. Nevertheless, do you realize how it is minorities might die in order that the Republicans would lose an election?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »

There is a very massive chasm lying in between the ideologies of Karl Marx and the ideologies of Vladimir Lenin, of which those 2 ideologies are wholly incompatible with each other.

Sadly, the same argument applies to Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand.

Does it? Serious question.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »

In addition, each of the current Top 7 at the halls' write-in thing (Motley Crue, Blink-182, Iron Maiden, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer and Styx) all deserve it more than Harrison.

Oh God! Triple boo!

TBH, my own hotter, badder, and unpopularer take is that the threshold for admittance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is laughably low.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »

Now that I think about it, maybe Styx is less deserving than Harrison, but only maybe. Styx had a bigger impact than him, (by which I mean Styx had more hits and sold more records) but Harrison's image is more significant than Styx's entire career.

Still think Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Blink-182, Dave Matthews Band and Weezer deserve it more than him. (Anyone else willing to bat for these guys?)

Compared to sole his solo work outside the Beatles? I think Motley Crue has far more of a pedigree and impact on rock and roll band Harrison ever did. I'm not saying he isn't a more thoughtful and fundamentally brilliant musician then those four, but in terms of rock and roll and cultural impact, Harrison's influences of course overwhelmingly through the Beatles
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:23 AM »

Since we're talking about bands, I'm not much of a Iron Maiden fan to be honest.
Not a bad opinion at all. They suck.

You may now both DIAF
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2019, 11:24:57 AM by Badger »

People at large, including almost all users on Atlas, vastly underestimate how popular most of the progressive agenda is in suburbs.

Atlas still thinks that Medicare for all plays better in McDowell County, WV than in Fairfax County, VA.

It likely won’t play well in either county when Dems try to implement it . The next midterm will be a massive GOP wave .

Just like Medicare itself was so unpopular, am I right?

Though In fairness I'm more in favor of Mayor Pete's plan of Medicare for all who want it. Though I don't know why he doesnt phrase it as Medicare available for all. It rolls off the tongue much easier
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:44:30 PM »

Just like Medicare itself was so unpopular, am I right?

Just change your profile pic already, dude.

I didn't realize supporting Medicare was such a "liberal" position in 2019. Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 12:39:36 AM »

Detroit is a better place to live than most of California.

Assuming you mean the actual city as opposed to Metro Detroit, I'd be really interested to hear this explanation
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »

I meantioned that George Harrison doesn't deserve RNR HOF status, and now that this year's nominees are out, I'd say that of all of them, aside from maybe Thin Lizzy, deserve it more than he does.

Less than Biggie Smalls and friggin' Whitney Houston?

This. Biggie I could see because the Hall of Fame is already de facto included hip-hop as rock and roll. But Whitney Houston? Travesty to to the name rock and roll
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 12:59:28 AM »

I don’t think Bill Clinton raped Juanita Broaddrick solely because Juanita doesn’t act like a rape victim at all. When she showed up at Trump’s side when the Hollywood Access taped dropped I could understand it to a degree but she and Paula Jones have made a habit of being shields for Republicans who get in trouble. They showed up constantly on Fox during the Roy Moore scandal to make whataboutism case. Hell Juanita even made fun of E. Jean Carroll’s looks on Twitter when she made her allegation against Trump. Granted not all victims act and think the same but I have never seen a legitimate rape victim try to use the fact they never got justice to be used as a shield for another alleged sexual predator. Heck they even have been on Fox recently to make the argument that their cases mean the whistleblower should be outed

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that all Juanita Broaddrick and Paula Jones's former lawyers have turned out to be big-time right-wing hacks.

Not at all. Read blinded by the right by what's his name Brock
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 01:40:45 AM »

A Trump second term is better for the Progressive agenda than a Biden win would be.

that is indeed a terrible take. Possibly the worst I've heard all week.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 01:43:20 AM »

I genuinely, honestly cannot grasp--emotionally, empathetically grasp--how a decent human being can possibly be right-wing on material issues, although I believe strongly enough in fair play and honest discussion and have a clear enough intellectual understanding of most arguments for right-wing positions that I'm able to act as if I can grasp it.

People can be selfish. And the ones who adopt such selfish right-wing positions on material issues convince themselves that most recipients of government Aid are lazy Moochers. They are helped, you see, I encourage in self-reliance rather than generational adherence to the welfare culture.

At least that's what they tell them selves out loud, when inside it comes down to Simply " I got mine, so f*** you".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 01:45:25 AM »

I would rather debate with redeaglepolitics whether Macomb County, Michigan will trend D or R than have sex.

Ditto.

This is so sad on so many levels.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:26:25 AM »

In terms of looks Margot Robbie is pretty overrated. Is she a pretty attractive woman? Obviously. Is she the HOTTEST WOMAN EVER CAUSES FEELINGS JUST LOOKING AT HER like many guys and quite a few lesbians rave about? Not exactly.

She is a very talented and utterly fantastic actress of course.

Worst take ever.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 09:37:24 AM »

He still wouldn’t win, but the person who would do the best in an election in Oklahoma as a democrat is Toby Keith.

10 or 15 years ago maybe. He's rather old hat now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »

He still wouldn’t win, but the person who would do the best in an election in Oklahoma as a democrat is Toby Keith.

10 or 15 years ago maybe. He's rather old hat now.
Imagine a Democratic Senator who comes to work every day in a flag suit.

he hasnt been a democrat in 12 years.

I mean, if you're going to run an Oklahoma country singer who has been something of a has-been for better than a decade, nominate one who's an actual Bonafide Democrat like Garth Brooks or Billy Ray Cyrus.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »

Whoever said he was? Huh
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 12:28:31 AM »

I get annoyed by how little coverage I see in the United States media of the plights of Native Americans compared to other minority groups.

They are a smaller group numerically in the US than blacks or Hispanics.  And Blacks, Hispanics, Koreans, etc. have neighborhoods where they make up a majority of the population in the big cities where the large news media organizations are based, but American Indians don't, so perhaps they are more easily forgotten.

anyway, welcome to the forum.  always nice to have another contrarian here!

Native Americans do as well. They're called reservations.

Unfortunately for them, in addition to their relatively low numbers compared to other racial minorities, reservations where poverty and other hardship is the greatest are in rural areas far from Big City media coverage. I mean, a station will send a reporter out to the rez for a story, and news agencies will periodically do stories about the high rates of poverty and other want among Native American communities. However, those are the exception to the rule since it involves a large city TV station sending someone hours and hours, if not a plane ride, out to the hills or the desert.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 12:30:27 AM »

THOUGHTS ABOUT KANSAS FETISH

In 2016 Trump won Kansas by 20.5 points roughly. He also won Nebraska's 1st congressional district by 20.5 points roughly. Clinton won the national PV by 2.1 points of course.
But Kansas swung a little to the left. Nebraska's 1st district swung quite a bit to the right.
Then in 2018 every political junkie of the world got amped up by Kansas's gubernatorial race, which had a weird dynamic and was competitive. Laura Kelly won and Democrats went crazy about the Sunflower State. No one cared about the boring race in Nebraska, where Republican Pete Ricketts was re-elected; but he won NE-01 by 11.6 points (and it swung left compared to 2014).
I don't mean to say that people believe that Laura Kelly's race is representative of the conditions which Trump and Biden will face in November, but now fast-forward to 2020.

I see a lot of posters thinking that a Biden landslide can open the floodgates of Kansas big time and make it just 12~15 points to the right of the national average. Meanwhile people seem to think it's completely impossible for NE-01 to flip. This strikes me as off. It seems something along the lines of "muh trends" or even "muh Kobach Brownback Kelly Bollier Johnson County" or probably these posters didn't even know Nebraska has a 1st district. I call this Kansas fetish.

It's very true. Neither will flip even in a landslide, fwiw. Although kobach does have a tangible chance of losing his race if he wins the nomination.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »

Susan Collins is heavily disfavored in Maine in 2020, and is not part of the path of least resistance for Republicans to hold the US Senate. In addition, its more likely for Trump to win re-election nationally than for Collins to win re-election in Maine.

Agree with all but that last sentence, fwiw. Though I think both of them are goners
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »

The US provoked Japan into attacking by embargoing a country that had done nothing to us. Before you get upset and start screaming that I'm a fascist, stop and think about one thing. How would the US respond if someone tried to cut off our oil supply? If you said anything different than "bomb them into dirt" I suggest you visit a proctologist because you seem to have your head stuck up your rectum.

The scenario you’re talking about literally happened in 1973/4. The United States did not bomb Algeria, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Kuwait, Libya, or Saudi Arabia into the dirt as a result.

Imperial Japan had no right to America’s oil; saying we “provoked” their attack by denying them it is absurd. This take is definitely in the correct thread.
Trying to destroy someone’s economy when they haven’t done anything to you literally is provoking them. America has no right to stick its nose in other nations business. Who died and made us the protectors of east Asia? Also there was a reason the oil embargo happened, we were funding their enemy. Ask Iraq what the US will do to secure oil supplies.

Rape of Manchuria does not equal doing nothing. Deciding we don't want to sell oil to another country so it can lubricate it's genocide a war machine is hardly sticking our nose in other countries Affairs. It's our oil We could decide what to do with it or not and we did, for the better.

What's more, the Embargo was also Place knowing that your pan with a growing military threat and likely to engage in confrontation with the US based on its rampant and aggressive imperialism at the time. Why on Earth would you give you're likely perspective enemy plenty of War juice to stockpile and use against you?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies