Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 95981 times)
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: December 01, 2020, 05:45:24 AM »

John Roberts is actually one of the most powerful people in the United States, and it might be argued, the single most powerful one.

That might have been true before RBG died
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1226 on: December 03, 2020, 09:37:52 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2020, 04:04:26 PM by gracile »

I get mildly annoyed by the way people throw around the term "Blue Dog" to describe any conservative/centrist Democrats. For example, John Bel Edwards, Joe Manchin, and all conservative Democrats from before the 1990s are not Blue Dogs. (pedantic)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1227 on: December 05, 2020, 08:29:43 AM »

The swamp is actually the best part about Florida.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1228 on: December 05, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »

When you think about it Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire in WW1 are the real life equivalent of the Legolas and Gimli meme
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1229 on: December 07, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 10:37:39 PM by Deep State Tomatoes »

I'm pretty sure I mentioned my dislike of modern feminism and that it has no place in America. However, it does have a place in the places mentioned by this video:

(Although some of the places mentioned by Yakko need feminism less than others.)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1230 on: December 07, 2020, 10:58:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure I mentioned my dislike of modern feminism and that it has no place in America. However, it does have a place in the places mentioned by this video:

(Although some of the places mentioned by Yakko need feminism less than others.)
Why do I have a feeling the only girlfriend you’ve ever had is a waifu pillow?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1231 on: December 08, 2020, 01:41:32 AM »

Do you take issues with the more extreme militant "SJW" "cancel culture" aspects, and virtue signalling, or is your dislike much broader than that? How would YOU define "modern feminism"?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1232 on: December 08, 2020, 12:59:16 PM »

Do you take issues with the more extreme militant "SJW" "cancel culture" aspects, and virtue signalling, or is your dislike much broader than that? How would YOU define "modern feminism"?

It's mostly that, but there are also really bad parts of feminism that are really about superiority rather than equality, equity, or justice.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1233 on: December 08, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »

I'll raise you one ... there SO many good things about Florida, and making fun of Florida for being batshlt crazy is right up there.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1234 on: December 09, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »

Not too fond of the original Star Wars movies because the acting isn't much better than the prequels, except since there are no fancy graphics to make up for it. CGI and good battle scenes helps put the prequels over the top for me, although the stupid kid-like talking droids doesn't help.

Sometimes I wish they'd just redo the original SW movies with modern graphics and lightsaber duels that don't give you the impression that they have no idea what they are doing. Like, it's hard to square the idea that Darth Vader is some ultimate badass when you see them swinging around a lightsaber in the OT as if he was some child playing with a toy. Ditto for Kenobi.

I actually love Star Wars in general but that is in spite of massive execution flaws. I think Rogue One might be my ideal SW film, actually. Less comical and more sobering.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1235 on: December 09, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »

^ I have been fighting the realization for years that I don't really like Star Wars anymore, haha.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1236 on: December 09, 2020, 03:36:17 PM »

Not too fond of the original Star Wars movies because the acting isn't much better than the prequels, except since there are no fancy graphics to make up for it. CGI and good battle scenes helps put the prequels over the top for me, although the stupid kid-like talking droids doesn't help.

Sometimes I wish they'd just redo the original SW movies with modern graphics and lightsaber duels that don't give you the impression that they have no idea what they are doing. Like, it's hard to square the idea that Darth Vader is some ultimate badass when you see them swinging around a lightsaber in the OT as if he was some child playing with a toy. Ditto for Kenobi.

I actually love Star Wars in general but that is in spite of massive execution flaws. I think Rogue One might be my ideal SW film, actually. Less comical and more sobering.
Lucas did attempt a revamp of the original trilogy's technical aspects and I'd consider it a downgrade personally.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1237 on: December 09, 2020, 04:26:08 PM »

Lucas did attempt a revamp of the original trilogy's technical aspects and I'd consider it a downgrade personally.

I think my ideal version of the movies would have to include a total redo with huge amounts of CGI. I find the originals unappealing enough where it'd be hard to make it more so for me, although I know I'm in the extreme minority on that. I just don't like old movies in general (pre-90s). The acting is just different (and often crappier - again, in my opinion), and there are rarely any special effects worth speaking of. Star Wars is really a special effects kind of movie.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1238 on: December 09, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »

I think my ideal version of the movies would have to include a total redo with huge amounts of CGI. I find the originals unappealing enough where it'd be hard to make it more so for me, although I know I'm in the extreme minority on that. I just don't like old movies in general (pre-90s). The acting is just different (and often crappier - again, in my opinion), and there are rarely any special effects worth speaking of. Star Wars is really a special effects kind of movie.
Ahhhh I get what you're saying now. That's an opinion I can appreciate but I don't necessarily agree. Personally I like the aesthetics of older special effects, especially matte paintings and models. But to each their own.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1239 on: December 10, 2020, 01:06:57 AM »

If you've ever seen Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, you'll understand how amazing Star Wars was.  You kids have it so easy these days.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1240 on: December 10, 2020, 03:46:44 AM »

Republican trolls and hacks like krazen and SirWoodbury are more entertaining than bland blue avatars who don't do anything but talk about how good and "moderate" the GOP is.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #1241 on: December 10, 2020, 09:36:33 AM »

[snipping that video which is an insult to the absolute king known as yakko warner]

Things are better than they were 50 to 100 years ago, but women still face oppression in the 21st century. From being harassed and objectified in the military, to being paid less for the same work while still paying more for women's products, to being underrepresented in all kinds of industries and government institutions, feminism doesn't "have no place in America."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Atlas profile says that you are a male. Not saying that your opinion doesn't matter, but unless you're a transgender man who used to be viewed as a woman by society, don't get mad when I don't take your opinion of women's rights as seriously as someone who has a better perspective on whether or not women are actually oppressed. Maybe, like, I dunno, an actual woman.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1242 on: December 11, 2020, 02:21:10 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 02:37:29 PM by RINO Tom »

Republican trolls and hacks like krazen and SirWoodbury are more entertaining than bland blue avatars who don't do anything but talk about how good and "moderate" the GOP is.

Imagine much?  You interpret any Republican who doesn't fit into your stereotype as pretending the GOP is something it's not ... we're perfectly truthful about the current state of the GOP, we just opine that we don't like it.

Oh yeah: this SHOULDN'T be a hot take at all, but people have become quite hysterical lately.  Once somebody is vaccinated in the coming months, they should receive a QR code or something and get to do literally whatever they want and not abide by public health measures.  In other words, a couple that have both been vaccinated should not be judged for going on vacation in January, regardless of what cases look like.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1243 on: December 12, 2020, 02:20:05 AM »

A Romney victory in 2012 would have likely halted this level of radicalization within the GOP.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1244 on: December 12, 2020, 06:10:44 AM »

A Romney victory in 2012 would have likely halted this level of radicalization within the GOP.

Old School Republican is that you?
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1245 on: December 14, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »

Politically "moderate" people can be just as hackish as people on the far ends of the left-right ideological spectrum (and conversely, people on the far-left and far-right can be pretty knowledgeable/earnest about their wings' political realities).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1246 on: December 14, 2020, 05:13:44 PM »

Jamie Dimon running the treasury and Bernie Sanders as labor secretary would be the best thing for this country
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1247 on: December 14, 2020, 06:45:36 PM »

This is pretty clearly true even if most Dems probably wouldn't want to go back and change anything.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1248 on: January 05, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

Obama was bad.

Clinton was mediocre at best.

Reagan was just meh.

Ford was one of the better presidents and the last president to date to be somewhat decent.

Nixon wasn't completely awful.

LBJ was horrible.

Trump is not the worst president of all time, I debate whether I'd even put him in the top 10 even though he's still clearly an awful president.

FDR wasn't that good.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1249 on: January 05, 2021, 04:54:05 PM »

If George McGovern was alive and a nationally relevant politician today, he would be similar to Andrew Yang with some extra #idpol mixed in and a good chunk of the Bernie left would see him unfavourably.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies