Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:02:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 95604 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: June 06, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »

For supposedly being a more liberal and tolerant forum, Atlas is fairly Islamophobic,

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=114592.0

Holy sh!t look at BRTD throw down on that thread lol
"Negative. False religion, pedophile and murderer for a founder and continues to repress women and gays. Also bans alcohol consumption, that alone equals negative even if the rest was disregarded." BRTD  April 14, 2010

Disappointing.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »

Manchin surviving this late in the game even given basically any circumstance, is still super impressive, and he catches sh!t for it anyways, which is lame of people to do, because anyone else would have lost.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2019, 12:52:42 PM »

For supposedly being a more liberal and tolerant forum, Atlas is fairly Islamophobic,

"Negative. False religion, pedophile and murderer for a founder and continues to repress women and gays. Also bans alcohol consumption, that alone equals negative even if the rest was disregarded." BRTD  April 14, 2010

That certainly doesn't sound like something someone who's "all liberal, all the time" would say... is BRTD a fraud?!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »

2010 Atlas is pretty different than 2019 Atlas , heck the Atlas when I first registered here in Dec of 2014 was very different too.

Second the results of the poll is not Islamophobic though many posts in that thread are. You can find a religion itself to be terrible without also disliking people who believe in that religion. The latter is Islamophobic but the former is not
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »

2010 Atlas is pretty different than 2019 Atlas , heck the Atlas when I first registered here in Dec of 2014 was very different too.

Second the results of the poll is not Islamophobic though many posts in that thread are. You can find a religion itself to be terrible without also disliking people who believe in that religion. The latter is Islamophobic but the former is not

This is fair enough, but even ignoring the poll results, it still is an ugly look.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »

Some of my hot takes. People shouldn't praise companies who celebrate pride in 2019. It's just an attempt to score brownie points. If they were that worried about the subject, they could've spoken out years ago.
2. White people who get offended by things that have nothing to do with them, then act like they're so progressive because of it are the most annoying thing over. (See, the Washington Redskins).
3. Cardi B is a terrible rapper.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2019, 02:57:48 PM »

The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty stupid work in general. Even the most backwards, repressive and fundamentalist forms of Christianity have next to no resemblance to the regime of Gilead, and some aspects of it are just things that Margaret Atwood completely made up, for example literally no society of any religion or culture EVER has not allowed women to have their own names and only referred to them as the property of their husband.

I think it's only the handmaids that aren't allowed to have their own names.

Regardless.

Also no Christian group has ever supported a ban on women's literacy for centuries...well ever actually. It might not have been a high priority in medieval times, but it wasn't actually forbidden. (Plus most Catholic leaders then wanted most men to not be able to read as well, so the layity couldn't read the Bible on their own and wouldn't require church leaders telling them what to believe.)

Yea I mean that show's portrayal is unrealistically barbaric imo, and not realistic at all in so many other aspects. The way the SoJ came to power makes no sense, and the idea that banning women from working or even using money in one fell swoop would be accepted by the public is laughable, and it would crash the economy as well (which it didn't seem to do in the story afaik). And what is with Gilead seeming to have armed guards literally everywhere? If they get rid of the entire female workforce, they would not have enough men available to just stand around with guns because they would be needed to fill the gaps left by women leaving the workforce.

Gilead takes inspiration from American Evangelical Christianity only in part. Once you stop looking at the story in those terms, it's much easier to see what Atwood is doing.

You get hints of this in the first season of the show when it's not trying too hard to be topical, but it's much more apparent in the book. Unfortunately, Hulu's marketing and the appropriation of its imagery for political protests create the impression of something totally lacking in self-awareness or subtlety.

Agreed on that front. Although, even the book has some weirdly unrealistic bits. Catholics, Baptists and Mormons are all being mentioned as being persecuted to one degree or another in the novel... how the heck are you spposed to form an American theocracy without any of those Tongue I actually enjoyed the book, but that aspect really hurt the immersion for me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #307 on: June 09, 2019, 01:07:35 AM »

Inglorious Basterds is the best WWII movie of all time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2019, 01:44:46 AM »

That certainly doesn't sound like something someone who's "all liberal, all the time" would say... is BRTD a fraud?!

What's non-liberal about that statement?
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »

Biden will lose to Trump
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »

Cory Gardner loses by less than 3
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »

The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty stupid work in general. Even the most backwards, repressive and fundamentalist forms of Christianity have next to no resemblance to the regime of Gilead, and some aspects of it are just things that Margaret Atwood completely made up, for example literally no society of any religion or culture EVER has not allowed women to have their own names and only referred to them as the property of their husband.

I think it's only the handmaids that aren't allowed to have their own names.

Regardless.

Also no Christian group has ever supported a ban on women's literacy for centuries...well ever actually. It might not have been a high priority in medieval times, but it wasn't actually forbidden. (Plus most Catholic leaders then wanted most men to not be able to read as well, so the layity couldn't read the Bible on their own and wouldn't require church leaders telling them what to believe.)

Yea I mean that show's portrayal is unrealistically barbaric imo, and not realistic at all in so many other aspects. The way the SoJ came to power makes no sense, and the idea that banning women from working or even using money in one fell swoop would be accepted by the public is laughable, and it would crash the economy as well (which it didn't seem to do in the story afaik). And what is with Gilead seeming to have armed guards literally everywhere? If they get rid of the entire female workforce, they would not have enough men available to just stand around with guns because they would be needed to fill the gaps left by women leaving the workforce.
Oh it's possible... but not sustainable.  You are given a brief view into the uppermost echelon of Gilead society.  Most of America would be abandoned and in ruins/crumbling.  The much smaller population simply uses the old infrastructure where it can be used.  The quaint suburb where the commanders live is but a tiny fraction of the Boston area.  They have murdered, enslaved, and sent off the bulk of hte population and consolidated the rest into rather isolated enclaves that are overseen by the armed men (they seem to be everywhere but really a couple well armed guys can control a pretty big crowd of traumatized, terrified, too afraid to act people).

A protest would have immediately formed and been quite large.  Until the SoJ started firing into the crowd.  This would scatter the people and prevent any kind of organization because they could pretty easily kill the internet and immediately take over the remaining forms of communication.

We've seen this done before.  Why do you believe it couldn't happen again, or in this day and age?  For every revolutionary protester, you'll have 2 or 3 who are afraid to act, 1 to make sure those 2 or 3 are afraid to act, and 4 or 5 who see it as "well at least..."
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »

"Death films" (that is, video compilations of real death and destruction) are very interesting and "entertaining" to me, and make me feel nostalgic.

If you don't know exactly what I'm talking about, I'm talking about films like Faces of Death, Traces of Death, the Japanese Death File series, and so on.

I remember when I was young I found a VHS of some autopsy instructional video under my dad's bed, and I've been fascinated by these kind of videos ever since.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #313 on: June 10, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »

Having friends of a different race is better evidence of not being racist than claiming some abstract political view or allegiance.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #314 on: June 10, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

ESRB ratings are wholly useless in getting an idea of how mature a person needs to be to be able to engage in something rated by the ESRB without causing problems in their mental development.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #315 on: June 10, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »

ESRB ratings are wholly useless in getting an idea of how mature a person needs to be to be able to engage in something rated by the ESRB without causing problems in their mental development.

I've been watching violent and sexual things since I was like 6, and I ended up being a perfectly well rounded and sane individual.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #316 on: June 10, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »

"Death films" (that is, video compilations of real death and destruction) are very interesting and "entertaining" to me, and make me feel nostalgic.
I like reading about them but I think actually watching them would just make me feel sick.
Duh! A profane hedgehog with a gun and a hankering for revenge is somehow less traumatizing than teenagers saving the world with baseball bats and frying pans in lieu of proper weapons in their eyes!
Shadow the Hedgehog (2005, E10+) and the Wii U re-release of EarthBound (1994/1995/2013, T), respectively, in case you're wondering
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #317 on: June 11, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

Love is the most important feeling anybody in the world can have, and can be the main reason somebody becomes a better, or maybe even a good, person if they are dedicated to the one they love.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: June 11, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »

Patrick Murphy is far better looking than Marco Rubio, deal with it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #319 on: June 11, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »

Uh... lol
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »

Uh... lol

Fight me (sane) jk
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #321 on: June 11, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »

Love is the most important feeling anybody in the world can have, and can be the main reason somebody becomes a better, or maybe even a good, person if they are dedicated to the one they love.
Not true.  Sometimes the urge to find a toilet RIGHT NOW is the most important feeling someone can have and can be the main reason somebody becomes a better, healthier, or maybe even a content person if they are dedicated to eating right in order to stay regular.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #322 on: June 11, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »

Joe Biden is the Jeb Bush of the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primaries.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »

Who's Trump?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »

Who's Trump?

I don't think there really is one (i.e someone who combines center-left to left-wing populism with demagoguery and authoritarian-lite rhetoric).

Back when Michael Avenatti was considering running for President, I felt that he would in essence be the "Trump" of the 2020 Dem Primaries. Obviously, quite a bit changed since then.... Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies