Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:42:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 93310 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: February 18, 2021, 10:36:19 PM »

Regardless of China's particular system of government, and regardless of any allegations of crimes against residents, Americans would find some reason to hate it, because they (correctly) see it as the biggest threat to what was once American hegemony. And if the positions were reversed, we'd be learning about reports of how impoverished blacks in the south are sentenced to decades in private prisons for minor drug offenses to keep them full and to provide cheap prison labor.
Saruku

« Reply #1326 on: February 21, 2021, 02:52:16 PM »

You cannot advocate for America's role in the world and then be shocked when it helps Saudi Arabia starve Yemen and helped to overthrow a democratically-elected government in Bolivia.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1327 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »

Trump 2024
Ivanka 2028 (but not as VP 2025-2029)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1328 on: February 22, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »

"I oppose gay marriage because that's what my religion says" is not a good excuse for opposing gay marriage. If anything, this should be evidence to you that it's not a very good religion. Why would a loving God make people gay and then say it's evil?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1329 on: February 22, 2021, 09:19:14 PM »

Trump 2024
Ivanka 2028 (but not as VP 2025-2029)

Wow, brilliant take. It really makes you think and reconsider your perspective.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1330 on: February 23, 2021, 10:11:15 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 11:11:24 AM by The legend of Saint Giorgia and the Draghi »

The usage of the pronoun "it" to refer to little children, which apparently is not uncommon in English, irks me and strikes me as dehumanizing.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1331 on: February 23, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 10:30:48 AM by Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! »

The usage of "it" to refer to little children, which apparenty is not uncommon in English, irks me and strikes me as dehumanizing.

It irks many English-speakers and strikes them as dehumanizing as well. I never hear anybody who doesn't vocally hate children use it, (ETA) except sometimes for infants--and it bothers me when used for infants as well.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.50, S: 2.62

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1332 on: February 23, 2021, 11:43:36 AM »

Martin Lee is nowhere near to the "Father of Democracy" in Hong Kong -- it just makes me puke every time a journalist use this term on him. He's more like a traitor to HK!

Bottom line: he's no Lee Teng-hui.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1333 on: February 23, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »

The usage of "it" to refer to little children, which apparenty is not uncommon in English, irks me and strikes me as dehumanizing.

It irks many English-speakers and strikes them as dehumanizing as well. I never hear anybody who doesn't vocally hate children use it, (ETA) except sometimes for infants--and it bothers me when used for infants as well.

I have a strict rule of using "he or she" or "they" when referring to children when gender is unknown for reasons that, if ever fleshed out fully, would come off as obtusely political.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1334 on: February 23, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »

I have twin neices. I make a point to call them by their names in conversation rather than 'the girls'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1335 on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:23 AM »

I'm the opposite way, as I wish "it" could be normalized as a gender-neutral pronoun that can apply to human beings regardless of age. I don't understand what's so terrible about things and people sharing pronouns. Romance languages do that all the time (in the other direction) and I don't think that has rendered the relevant countries more callous toward human beings.

Of course, I know it's probably too late. The grammatically clunky singular-they is probably the best we'll ever get to a gender-neutral pronoun. As if having the same pronoun for 2nd p. sing. and 2nd p. plur. wasn't confusing enough already. Roll Eyes
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1336 on: February 24, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »

I'm the opposite way, as I wish "it" could be normalized as a gender-neutral pronoun that can apply to human beings regardless of age. I don't understand what's so terrible about things and people sharing pronouns. Romance languages do that all the time (in the other direction) and I don't think that has rendered the relevant countries more callous toward human beings.

Of course, I know it's probably too late. The grammatically clunky singular-they is probably the best we'll ever get to a gender-neutral pronoun. As if having the same pronoun for 2nd p. sing. and 2nd p. plur. wasn't confusing enough already. Roll Eyes

Well, "they" is a pretty easy lift since it's been used that way since Chaucer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1337 on: February 24, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »

Well, "they" is a pretty easy lift since it's been used that way since Chaucer.

I know. That doesn't make it any less grammatically clunky.

The singular/plural "you" has also been a thing for centuries and it still gives me headaches. I'm desperately hoping "y'all" becomes standard English so we can have a distinction again.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1338 on: February 24, 2021, 03:58:15 PM »

We are well past the phase where healthcare experts "scaring people into taking COVID seriously" (with a dazzling of how dangerous it is) is doing much good, and we would be better off if they pivoted toward a message of hope/optimism and tailored it more to individual mitigation of risk rather than a collective societal effort to stamp out a ridiculously contagious virus.

People in their 80s who are lonely and depressed right now (like my recently widowed grandmother) and haven't been going anywhere or seeing anyone to be safe need to be told that Christmas with their relatives WILL happen this year, no matter what, and that a vaccination for COVID-19 will hopefully water down the effects of future variants on your body, at least to the point of not being more life-threatening than other diseases these people were fine with in previous years, like pneumonia.  The potential audience who is out there that isn't taking steps to "slow the spread" but would be totally swayed by a doctor on TV saying that they really shouldn't be seeing their relatives is approximately zero, for better or for worse.  It's just how it is.

When there are CNN articles saying that two FULLY vaccinated individuals can "PROBABLY" hang out together but they should STILL social distance, it's quite simply counterproductive.  If that standard isn't good enough, you're effectively saying "normal life" is unachievable in the foreseeable future, and people are simply going to go, "Welp, guess I have to live with the risk of COVID variants then, because I am not going to risk dying of natural causes in the next six months anyway and never seeing my grandkids again."  In short, the narrative coming from the public health community should be a LOT more strategic if they actually want to positively influence people's behavior.  No one is questioning if what they're saying is scientifically accurate, but we all ignored the strictest science on respiratory viruses for YEARS before this, and that is going to have to be the standard, like it or not.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1339 on: February 24, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »

Most people would have a very hard time justifying their political views if they were actually put under heavy scrutiny, and this is true regardless of where one is on the political spectrum.

This is due to people picking political views of their personal feelings and beliefs instead of actual fact.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1340 on: February 25, 2021, 07:10:24 AM »

Most people would have a very hard time justifying their political views if they were actually put under heavy scrutiny, and this is true regardless of where one is on the political spectrum.

This is due to people picking political views of their personal feelings and beliefs instead of actual fact.

Very true. I, for one, try to weigh the facts as well as I can but as with anyone emotions/ethics and values + religion plays a role.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1341 on: February 25, 2021, 08:15:22 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2021, 08:21:07 AM by Cath »

I wasn't aware that "y'all" or "youse" could apply to a single person. Huh

EDIT: Joke already made, I see. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1342 on: February 25, 2021, 02:31:01 PM »

Not a joke, I unironically like "y'all". I've never heard "youse" used in the wild yet, but I'm not opposed to it either.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1343 on: February 25, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »

Not a joke, I unironically like "y'all". I've never heard "youse" used in the wild yet, but I'm not opposed to it either.

I've spent much time in Philadelphia and its environs but never heard anyone say "youse" or "youse guys". I've never at all been to Western Pennsylvania, and thus never had the chance to hear "yinz". Both are abominations. I started saying "y'all" as an ironic affectation when I was a teenager, but I wouldn't have it any other way now.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1344 on: February 25, 2021, 02:56:30 PM »

I mostly (only?) know it from humorous or mafia-specific portrayals of Italian-Americans.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1345 on: February 25, 2021, 03:26:27 PM »

I mostly (only?) know it from humorous or mafia-specific portrayals of Italian-Americans.

As far as I was aware, “youse” is mostly confined to certain British regional dialects, most notably Scouse.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1346 on: February 25, 2021, 04:26:21 PM »

As far as I was aware, “youse” is mostly confined to certain British regional dialects, most notably Scouse.

It's endemic in certain Scottish regions, particuarly Glasgow, some parts of Edinburgh, and Fife, alongside other made up words like 'jamp' (past particle of jump). We're devoted to mangling the English language.

Definitely used as a plural though.

Also, there are variants in Northern Ireland - where my uncle's rallying cry is:
"Are all of yousens' coming?"
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1347 on: February 25, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »

A lot of people say youse in Nova Scotia particularly if you are lower class and/or from the country.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1348 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:45 PM »

Imagine being delusional enough to believe that it's remotely possible to base all of your political views solely on "facts" without any input from 'personal beliefs or feelings'.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1349 on: February 25, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »

Imagine being delusional enough to believe that it's remotely possible to base all of your political views solely on "facts" without any input from 'personal beliefs or feelings'.

Where did I imply that? I definitely have some political positions which I base on beliefs. But if one really, really grilled me on this positions, I would have to admit at a certain point, there are at least partially based on my personal beliefs which I cannot prove.

But of course, many would deny this themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies