Arguing politics and staying friends
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 06:00:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Arguing politics and staying friends
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arguing politics and staying friends  (Read 523 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2019, 04:58:05 AM »

https://www.abc.net.au/life/arguing-about-politics-and-staying-friends/11062338

Clearly the members of Atlas are good at s(a)taying friends after political debate.

But for those of us who cannot, some online advice is available.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »

Most of my friends and people I hang out with have radically different views to mine and I get along just fine. There are 2 options: either not discussing politics at all (which works) or being careful and tactful when discussing them
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 01:49:14 AM »

Most of my friends are Dems, but our neighbor and his wafe are GOPers through and through. We're still good friends. I think it's not that relevant unless someone is a radical.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »

I have only ended one not-particularly-close relationship over "politics." It was someone who called me "disgusting" and essentially accused me of rape apology for unfavorably comparing forgiving of O'Rourke's drunk driving to forgiving Kavanaugh (if those allegations had been proven true).

Really more about personal character than their politics. I wasn't a fan of them before that either.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:01 AM »

My liberal friends think I've turned into William F. Buckley, Jr.  My conservative friends think I'm some dreamy liberal.  They must all like me for my other virtues besides political doctrine.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

I have a few conservative friends. One of them might not be considered conservative in this day and age, since he's in the "the Republican Party left me" camp, but the others support Trump. Basically, we don't talk about politics too much, and when we do, it's a good way of keeping our worse impulses in check. They'll usually take a step back from some of their generalizations about the left when they go too far.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »

The thread title should end with "is easy."

I'm pretty suspicious of people who don't have any friends with differing political views, honestly, and that includes people like BRTD who live in so-called bubbles.  I have been to the ultra liberal all the time Twin Cities, he would have to deliberately let his politics make him REMAIN in a self-created bubble ... which he does.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:24:49 PM »

One of my best friends is moderate/center-right.  We don't discuss domestic policy much at all (he's more of a foreign policy guy), but when we do I make a conscience effort not to let things get personal.  I try to avoid getting into heated arguments with close friends and family members, because for the most part I'm pretty non-confrontational and political differences is generally not something I'm willing to lose friendships over.

And by the same token, I'm mutual FB friends with an uber woke feminist (who voted for Bernie in 2016 but now despises him) who vowed not to support any male candidate in the Democratic primary this time, because she doesn't think that even a male lefty can be trusted "in a post-Roe America".  Which I find ridiculous but hey, live and let live.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies