Suggestion to the Midwest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:03:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Suggestion to the Midwest
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Suggestion to the Midwest  (Read 640 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:39:50 PM »

Given your recent move towards complete abolition of public schooling, and now a motion to remove child labor laws, I'd like to make a suggestion to progress your legislative program.

Perhaps you'd like to abolish all murder laws?  I mean, not being able to show your disapproval in somebody by ending their life is clearly a violation of your First Amendment rights.  Plus, it's not like the victims will actually mind after the incident takes place, so they shouldn't complain about it.  Nor will their families, since society doesn't really exist anyway.

Just a thought.

(I realize that Governor Jas disagrees with both measures mentioned above, so he is exempt from this tongue-in-cheek thread.)
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:44:05 PM »

I suggested a reasonable modification, which didn't seem to appeal to the person who initiated the proposal. I am therefore going to withdraw my signature.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:44:14 PM »

Can't I be exempt too? Sad
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 07:46:42 PM »

No.

Well, okay.... yes.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2005, 07:50:53 PM by Lt. Governor Everett »

BTW, this isn't overly surprising, I would presume? After all, we were the region that attempted to leave the Union. Tongue
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 08:57:16 PM »

Oh yes, giving children the ability to work and trying to remove the public school program clearly is comparable to let people kill each other Roll Eyes

Joe, I really thought you’d be above something like this, its saddening Sad

Isn’t there something about “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” in the constitution, or was that something else?  Murder would clearly be in violation of the life part, and all I’m doing is pursuing happiness, do you have a problem with that?  It’s ultimately up to the Region, you know, I’m just expressing my opinion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:06:23 PM »

Of course you can express your opinions.  However, I view them as wholly unworkable and morally corrupt.  Not as much as murder, but it's not far off.  That's my opinion, which I am expressing.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10:23 PM »

Okay, I understand why me wanting to abolish Public Schools and Health Care could be construed as Morally Corrupt, but I really can’t grasp what’s the problem with Children working, and especially not why it would be morally corrupt.

Really, if someone would like to explain it to me, I’d really like to know, but I just don’t understand.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »

Of course you can express your opinions.  However, I view them as wholly unworkable and morally corrupt.  Not as much as murder, but it's not far off.  That's my opinion, which I am expressing.

Yes, but I always figured you’d be the type to tell me in a rational manner and explain the problems with my ideas, not go off and make a rude joke that you know it’s true Sad
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 12:30:12 PM »

This really wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.  No offense was intended, either.

The thing is, I disagree with the initiatives for the simple reason that kids need to be in school and not in work.  It's not just because they need the education - the small batch of successful figures in your signature demonstrates that it sometimes isn't necessary.  But school provides essential life skills and social skills, that would not be easily provided by being dropped straight into a work environment.

Also, I know it's an old saying that nobody really needs to know about algebra or what a 'past participle' is.  But sending a generation of kids out into the working world who can't even read, write, or count to ten is not just going to be a massive strain on society, but also on the economy in the long term.

Kids should be out enjoying their childhood while it lasts, and learning about the world around them from trained, experienced authorities.  They shouldn't be operating forklifts or selling insurance, and dying of a stress-related heart attack at the age of 35.

I also realize that my opinion may not be welcomed, given that I'm not a resident of the Midwest.  However, I believe that it'll be the federal taxpayer who will have to start picking up the tab for the generation of illiterates in the Midwest in about twenty years' time.  Therefore, it is in every Atlasian's interests to oppose the passage of these initiatives.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 01:25:22 PM »

Mind ya beez'wax
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 01:29:25 PM »

I also realize that my opinion may not be welcomed, given that I'm not a resident of the Midwest.  However, I believe that it'll be the federal taxpayer who will have to start picking up the tab for the generation of illiterates in the Midwest in about twenty years' time.  Therefore, it is in every Atlasian's interests to oppose the passage of these initiatives.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 02:00:15 PM »

Actually, your region only has to gain for it if ti would be as bad as you say, since those companies would have to delocalize somwhere.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 02:39:37 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2005, 02:58:46 PM by Crazed Libertarian CheeseWhiz »

This really wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.  No offense was intended, either.

Well that’s nice and all, but it does make me look bad, and you’re just helping those who think I’m dumb and close-minded already.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So you’re going to force everyone to live the life you think is right? Roll Eyes

Counting would come to a child if he was raised by a pack of wild wolfs.  Reading and writing is very easy to learn in a work environment.

Their boss and parents are trained, experienced authorities.  If they are too stressed, they can quit.  Don’t you think children know what they are enjoying and what they aren’t?

Yeah, I pretty much agree with both of the things Bono said. The only time I get involved in other regions is when they’re electing their Governor, and this could effect me since they’ll be picking out the districts.  Even then, I usually limit it to when one of my friends are running.  I never pay much attention to their legislation.  I don’t get why everyone thinks this would be so catastrophic, but you’re entitled to your fears, reservations, phobias ect.  You know, if every Region successfully opts out of the Government School system, everyone will save billions of dollars.  Therefore, it is in every Atlasian's interests to support the passage of these initiatives.

EDIT:  Just talking to my mom about how weird you guys all are, and she told me to tell you guys that she learned to count much better at her dad's pharmacy by making change then she could with the school's "new math" system.  Also, she was working at her dad's pharmacy since she could reach the register, and she had a normal, fun childhood.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 03:03:26 PM »

Oh never mind then.  But don't expect the federal government to bail out the Midwest after its inevitable socio-economic collapse down to third world levels, if these intiatives are passed.  When that happens, you can have your official independence after all.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »

I don't see these initiatives getting passed anytime soon, so don't worry about it, President.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 03:13:19 PM »

Oh never mind then.  But don't expect the federal government to bail out the Midwest after its inevitable socio-economic collapse down to third world levels, if these intiatives are passed.  When that happens, you can have your official independence after all.

Okay, whatever Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies