We Got Griff/Jimmy: It's Happening (Again) - VICTORY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:22:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  We Got Griff/Jimmy: It's Happening (Again) - VICTORY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: We Got Griff/Jimmy: It's Happening (Again) - VICTORY  (Read 7338 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »

MEMORIAL DAY STATEMENT

On this most sacred of days, we reflect upon those who have given their lives in defense of our country and its values. It is a constant reminder that the freedoms and privileges we enjoy as Atlasians have been paid for by the sacrifices of others.

Honoring their memory - as well as the lives of those currently serving - is paramount not just on a day like this, but throughout every day of the year. As one people, we must strive to both honor those who have fallen in combat and protect those who continue to serve. One way we honor those who have given their lives is by ensuring that today's soldiers are properly taken care of both on and off the battlefield - and more importantly, keeping them off the battlefield itself whenever possible.

Regardless of how citizens choose to celebrate this holiday with family and friends, keeping at the forefront of our minds the crucial sacrifices that men and women in uniform have made for this country is why we celebrate Memorial Day. Everybody should reflect upon this during such a sacred holiday.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »

Amazing statement!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »

Endorsed!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

Thanks for the support! Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 07:55:07 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

A BROKEN CLOCK IS SCREWY TWICE PER YEAR

Elections in Atlasia are the cornerstone of our democracy. They provide excitement, accountability and intrigue - and are arguably the only activities where everybody, from active powerplayers to zombies, can participate both meaningfully and with ease.

It is my belief that elections should be smooth and consistent. Yet for years and years, we have operated under an irritating dynamic: our elections are codified into law as occurring based on Atlas time rather than a more sensible schedule. Throughout most of the year (April - October), elections open/close at 1 AM ET. For the remainder of the year, they open/close at Midnight ET. Unfortunately, we overlooked this most basic reform during the last Constitutional Convention.

Given that almost nobody (save for a handful of people in AZ & IN) operates in day-to-day life under this quirk and given the largest chunk of players live on the East Coast, I believe a simple reform - one that pins the opening and closing of Atlas Federal Elections to Midnight ET, regardless of whether DST is in effect or not - is both needed and beneficial.

As President, I will encourage Congress to pursue a simple fix to our election law that'll ensure nobody has to know what month it is in order to know what time elections actually begin or end. As a result, elections will always begin at Midnight ET/9 PM PT rather than shifting back and forth for the vast majority of players throughout the year.  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

I didn't see a post anywhere from you explaining your opposition to the Presidential Signature Amendment, could you either link me to it or provide an explanation now? I think it is especially relevant considering this amendment would prevent the president (the office you're seeking) from having unchecked power to block legislation they don't like.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »

MY VOTE ON THE PRESIDENTIAL SIGNATURE AMENDMENT

I didn't see a post anywhere from you explaining your opposition to the Presidential Signature Amendment, could you either link me to it or provide an explanation now? I think it is especially relevant considering this amendment would prevent the president (the office you're seeking) from having unchecked power to block legislation they don't like.

It's very simple, really: I based my vote on principle. I've always believed in the notion of a strong executive branch and argued for provisions during the ConCon that would have increased the power of the executive. Since then, I've witnessed Congress chip away at the executive piece by piece - mostly in the form of tiny changes, but nevertheless, these add up over time.

I waited until Saturday to make sure that the amendment was in no danger of failing before casting my ballot. In the event it were to become vulnerable within the next few hours (it won't, at least not in Lincoln), I would simply invalidate my ballot to ensure its passage (or at minimum, to ensure that I had no role in its defeat).

Obviously every President wishes for as much power as he or she can wield (those who say otherwise are lying), and I carefully pondered the balance of power if this amendment were to pass or fail. While such an event could provide me with the option of shutting down legislation as President, it also would present the same opportunity to my opponents (if they win) and to future Presidents. In other words, a big ol' goose egg in net terms. I always look at the game in terms of long-term structural effects rather than short-term personal gains, which I wish I could say for every person who has sought or was elected to the Presidency over the years.

Besides and as far as any selfish ambitions are concerned: unlike during my first two presidential terms, if I win and am inaugurated next month, I'll almost certainly be doing so alongside left-of-center congressional majorities in both chambers. There's simply no selfish, practical reason to support such a no-win loophole remaining that could be exploited by others in the future - but given its overwhelming support and guarantee of passing, it also leaves an opportunity to protest what I consider to be a long-running and broader issue.

As a personal note, it's also worth pointing out that I will always answer questions during my campaign and while in office, rather than leaving them unanswered for days or weeks on end like my opponents - even if they are being asked in bad faith!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »

So just to be clear, you actually supported the changes this amendment made, but voted against it as a protest vote on principle? I can't totally fault that because I agree that the executive branch should be powerful to be effective/worthwhile in the game, I just think that there are better ways to get that point across than voting against an amendment that closes a pretty gaping loophole.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »

Endorsed.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »

I kind of wanted to do this later, but it's a good time already I guess.

I prepared an entire speech, but the most important things to know are these:

I am hereby endorsing Adam Griffin and Jimmy7812 as the next President and Vice President of Atlasia!

So remember everyone who do we want? We want Griff!

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »

So just to be clear, you actually supported the changes this amendment made, but voted against it as a protest vote on principle? I can't totally fault that because I agree that the executive branch should be powerful to be effective/worthwhile in the game, I just think that there are better ways to get that point across than voting against an amendment that closes a pretty gaping loophole.

It's a simplified version of my sentiment, but yes, in essence, that was my motivation.

I kind of wanted to do this later, but it's a good time already I guess.

I prepared an entire speech, but the most important things to know are these:

I am hereby endorsing Adam Griffin and Jimmy7812 as the next President and Vice President of Atlasia!

So remember everyone who do we want? We want Griff!

Glorious News! The more, the merrier!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

Even though I have been open and honest with those who have asked since the beginning, I have not made this declaration in a public setting until now. As such, I want to be very clear about one thing: I intend to seek only one term as President.

Many are crying for "new blood and new experience" - a claim I find rather convenient given the totality of those who have served as Presidents over the past 2 years or so - but nevertheless, new generations have a role to play in our game. I remember like it was yesterday when I took the game by the reins and made it my own!

As such, my intent is to serve one final term and then hand the role over to a new leader in October. Barring a complete collapse or something equally deserving of the attention of a formidable and experienced leader, my time as President will conclude in early November (if elected this month). As such, I intend to be an immensely productive workhorse in the four months that I will potentially serve as your President. There is much to do - and I intend to make sure both the Congress and myself are as productive as possible during this time!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2019, 06:40:52 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

Even though I have been open and honest with those who have asked since the beginning, I have not made this declaration in a public setting until now. As such, I want to be very clear about one thing: I intend to seek only one term as President.

Many are crying for "new blood and new experience" - a claim I find rather convenient given the totality of those who have served as Presidents over the past 2 years or so - but nevertheless, new generations have a role to play in our game. I remember like it was yesterday when I took the game by the reins and made it my own!

As such, my intent is to serve one final term and then hand the role over to a new leader in October. Barring a complete collapse or something equally deserving of the attention of a formidable and experienced leader, my time as President will conclude in early November (if elected this month). As such, I intend to be an immensely productive workhorse in the four months that I will potentially serve as your President. There is much to do - and I intend to make sure both the Congress and myself are as productive as possible during this time!

Many of your proposals have not necessarily been good ones, can you say publicly, that you are willing to abandon some of the more ill-advised proposals

---Question from a voter
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2019, 06:43:28 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

Many of your proposals have not necessarily been good ones, can you say publicly, that you are willing to abandon some of the more ill-advised proposals

---Question from a voter

If you're begging me to seek a fourth term, I unfortunately cannot make such a promise - given my earlier pledge - at this time!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2019, 06:48:42 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

---Question from a voter

If you're begging me to seek a fourth term, I unfortunately cannot make such a promise - given my earlier pledge - at this time!

No the bad proposals are spending even more on healthcare, reducing the size of regional legislatures, and a policy that kowtows to labor unions.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2019, 06:50:53 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

---Question from a voter

No the bad proposals are spending even more on healthcare, reducing the size of regional legislatures, and a policy that kowtows to labor unions.

You forgot to capitalize "Labor"!

At the end of the day, I will stand with the working people of this country, because Labor Is A Party for Those Who Work.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »

That whole quote says that, you would not hesitate to raise taxes on the wealthy, the real question is how high are you, willing to raise it on the middle and lower class
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:46 AM »

That whole quote says that, you would not hesitate to raise taxes on the wealthy, the real question is how high are you, willing to raise it on the middle and lower class

While I intend to dive head-first into the budgetary process if elected (after all, a new budget will need to be formulated on time for next fiscal year during the coming presidential term), I imagine the nominal rates on the top bracket could potentially be lowered - if we tax all forms of income at the same rate and base them on the collective income of individuals and/or families. This would ensure that working and (actual) middle-class people don't see a tax increase, while those who are dodging their tax responsibilities via loopholes and Federalist-bought-and-paid-for-clout are required to contribute all the same as they would through other methods.

In short, I could see nominal income tax rates decline while effective tax rates on the wealthiest among us increase - a position I am more than willing to defend to the death.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2019, 07:17:54 AM »

Another question, your current job is a Lincoln Councilor, there is currently a gun control bill on the floor, yet you have not taken a position on gun control. Can you explicitly state your position and stop offering vague, equivocal answers
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »

Another question, your current job is a Lincoln Councilor, there is currently a gun control bill on the floor, yet you have not taken a position on gun control. Can you explicitly state your position and stop offering vague, equivocal answers

I'm a rural leftist, so no, probably not - especially when a suburban conservative is leading the charge and has infused the bill with unconstitutional provisions!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2019, 07:36:54 AM »

I'm a rural leftist, so no, probably not - especially when a suburban conservative is leading the charge and has infused the bill with unconstitutional provisions!

The current bill is perfectly constitutional, and the Lincoln Gun Control Bill is not a poll tax
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

---Question from a voter

At the end of the day, I will stand with the working people of this country, because Labor Is A Party for Those Who Work.

How many Laborites actually have a job in real life?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »

The only person to recommend this post has 31 posts per day lmao
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »

THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM

---Question from a voter

Eh, I have a job!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies